Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book marketing panel - what questions would you have?

Author Topic: Book marketing panel - what questions would you have?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
My writer's group is hosting a book marketing panel discussion this week and I'm on the panel representing the indie epublisher angle.

Could anyone give me some seed questions for what you might ask at a panel like this? What questions do you think you'd have (and at what stage? Newbie? Traditionally published author? Author currently seeking agent representation? Would your questions be different?)

I'm hoping to prepare some resources in advance and it would help me tremendously. Incidentally, if anyone is in the western Chicago suburbs and interested in attending, let me know!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you could browse Joe Konrath, Dean Wesley Smith, and John Locke's blogs to find many of the questions.

Here's two:
Would you advise hiring a professional to edit your novel?

I've written three novels that I haven't been able to sell the traditional route. Is there a disadvantage to self publishing if my novels aren't as good as my latest work?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe ask what might be in mind of many people. How many e-books can they sell and if they can be like the top e-book writers. And what happens if their books don't take off immediately. You probably have seen it but Dean has a great post on the death of an Indie writer's career.

As to coming by, It sounds very interesting and fun but way too far on the other side of the country. A few years ago I didn't even make to the comic con where I might have been on a panel. And that was at least in the same state.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks guys! I'm going to put together a list of resources and Konrath, Stackpole, Hocking, Locke, DWS, Kris Rusch, The Passive Guy, etc. are on my short list of who to watch/follow/listen to.

But for now I'm more just trying to anticipate what a group of close-to but not-quite professional writers would want to know from a book marketing panel discussion, particularly from the indie perspective - does anyone else have any thoughts to add? Thanks so much!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
How does the indie decide whether to go the Amazon or similar route? If so, should you use low-ball (99-cent) or more normal pricing? How do you rise above the throng of spam e-book publishers? Are there clear publishing choices along genre lines?
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
Will more epublished indie authors find success to prompt traditional publishers to sign them? Or is Amanda Hocking's success an anomaly?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayti,

I take it you are talking specifically about how to market, right?

Here are a few questions that I can think of.

1. How do you get book bloggers and professional reviewers to review a self-published book?

2. How can you effectivily use social media to promote your book without being annoying to your friends and family?

3. How do you make a professional looking website and lure potential readers to your site?

4. Is there anyway to get your book into libraries? Do libraries even support e-books or do you need a hard copy?

5. Is there anyway to network with other self-publishing authors?

6. Is there anyway to specifically target book clubs?

Just a few off the top of my head. I really know nothing about this, and it probably shows by my questions, but I hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited July 28, 2011).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
@MAP,

I missed the marketing theme. Great questions!

@Kayti,

Can you tell us more how your writing group is hosting a panel discussion? Is it at a library? A convention? How are you attracting visitors? Sounds interesting.

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited July 27, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

It ended up being a much higher-level discussion, we didn't get into the meat of those awesome questions, MAP, but I think we should have some of that conversation here (in this thread or a new one, whatever works.)

We talked about how we make time to write, how we create marketing plans (mine is still mostly just in my head, and a big part of my marketing plan is "write the next book" as so many folks recommend.) I definitely had a unique perspective, as nobody else in the group had gone down the epub kindle/bn.com route, even though all the other authors were self-published or with very small presses.

It was very interesting to me, the primary thing I heard from many of them was a hand-sell kind of approach. For me it's just not practical (school-aged kids at home, I'm not able to travel to festivals and events, plus the whole part where I don't yet have a physical book to sell - just an ebook.) I've heard Konrath rail against the hand-sell so often that I'm also kind of drinking his kool-aid and thinking that my best bet is to write more books, and collect good amazon/bn.com reviews that will help my books and stories bubble up to the top.

But it was a great experience. Very small group but we're far out in the 'burbs, I didn't have big expectations. (To answer another question - the guy who leads our group put out a press release to local papers, plus each of our groups promoted it to our group members. We had about 6 of us on the panel and 8 in the audience. Small group, but good discussion.)

Either way it forced me to put together two things, the first is a one-page marketing blurb for my book, which I needed to do anyway, and the second was this resource list I mentioned above. I put it on my blog tonight so it's accessible there if anyone's interested. I'll probably put my marketing blurb .pdf up sometime soon, too, but for now I think I'll just collapse. Busy day!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.