Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Titles From Quotes or Old Sayings

Author Topic: Titles From Quotes or Old Sayings
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on the cuss word phrase for my WotF story and came up with the latter part of an old saying that I think works quite well. My problem is how to make it gramatically correct. Here's an example using another old saying so I don't reveal my title:

"...Keeps the Doctor Away"

Is this the way it should appear as a title instead of?:

Keeps the Doctor Away

Almost anyone would know that the first part is "An Apple a Day"

Like I said; this isn't my title. I'm using something else, but the principle is the same.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need quote marks or ellipses when you use a known phrase as a title. Just use the phrase.

In fact, you don't have to quote the phrase exactly to get the idea across. Your title could just as easily be something like

Keeping the Doctor Away

And such a title might work better, because it might "feel" more descriptive of the story.

Such titles are intended to make the reader think of the known phrase, or the story the phrase came from, or the myth or scripture or whatever, and they don't need to be exact quotes in order to do that.

Examples:

To Rule Them All

could also be Ruling Them All

or One Ring to Rule

or One Ring Ruling

or One Ring Rules

or even The Rule of One Ring (though that seems a little challenging to say--moreso than some of the others above).

Just some examples (I love those books, in case you couldn't tell).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
James Patterson titles below. Once he created the Alex Cross character, he used different title stylings.

Along Came a Spider
Kiss the Girls
Jack & Jill
Cat and Mouse
Pop Goes the Weasel
Roses Are Red
Violets Are Blue
Four Blind Mice
The Big Bad Wolf
London Bridges
Mary, Mary

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited July 29, 2011).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done this numerous ways, and I'm uncertain there is a rule that requires one specific way.

My Q4 entry has no quotes in the title which is drawn from Scripture.

My newest story in progress is a less recognizable quote and I've chosen the "...TITLE" option.

Then again, I'm not a professional author.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
What Kathleen said.

I'd recommend staying away from using quotation marks as part of a short story title, because you're supposed to surround a short story's title with quotation marks when referring to it. It gets complicated.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked it up online...the earliest cited usage, phrased slightly different, is from 1866, in Wales.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Keeps the Doctor Away, as a title. I don't think quotations or the ellipsis are appropriate.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
An example of what I mean about adapting a quote to create a title:

Just finished reading THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE, by Alan Bradley, which is an award-winning first book in a mystery series. The quote the title comes from is found inside the cover of the book:

quote:
"Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie/Who cares for all the crinkling of the pie?" William King, THE ART OF COOKERY (1708)

The title is not an exact phrase from the quotation, but it arises from the quotation, and alludes very nicely to it.

So you don't have to quote exactly to get the idea from the reference across to the readers.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.