Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Renovation World Con Report

Author Topic: Renovation World Con Report
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I spent the last week at Renovation World Con, in Reno. This is a big SF convention with a huge emphasis on writing and is where the Hugos are held. It was an incredible experience.

Rather than try to repeat all of the information here, I'm just going to give you a link to my blog where you can read about it. There are a few photos there too.

http://trinamariephillips.wordpress.com/

Scroll down to get the whole con from day one.

I've got the first three days posted. Day four (with the Hugos) will go up shortly. And while technically there was a day five, it ended up feeling much like the last day of school, so I may summarize on the day four post, we'll see.

Feel free to leave comments on my blog, I try to check and respond daily.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I would kill to be there...
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun report, genevive42. Barbara Hambly asked me to host the SFWA suite the year she was SFWA president, and it was crazy. We were at the Anaheim Hilton and Towers and the rooms overlooked Disneyland (so we could watch the fireworks each night--except that it was so hot during the day that we had foil in all the windows).

The SFWA suite parties were very interesting to host, as well. The last night, I was so tired, I went around telling people that "the scoops" were coming, so we could shut down and go to bed (it was after 2am by that time, if I remember correctly).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Day 4 is now up. It features large swords and Hugo Awards.

Same link as above: http://trinamariephillips.wordpress.com/

There will be a Day 5 and aftermath post in the next day or two.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken S
Member # 9010

- posted      Profile for Ken S   Email Ken S         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting, Trina, that was pretty entertaining and (as someone who is still only wishing he could make it to a convention) somewhat enlightening from a scheduling standpoint
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm glad you're enjoying the report. I go back to work today so

But if I had any doubt about wanting to do this writing thing full time, I can be absolutely certain now. I do.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Great report. Seems like a fun time and a productive one.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Glad you're enjoying it. And yes, it was worth every penny. I have learned a great deal; I'm sure plenty more than I've had a chance to process. If you can ever go to a big con, do it. Save your pennies, go on a budget, but find a way if you can. You won't regret it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.