Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? September-19-2011

Author Topic: Did You Write? September-19-2011
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? September-19-2011

Another week to practice writing notes about your life, and in the process, mentioning how you have done in your writing. Posting is an important habit so you can shame yourself into opening your work in progress just so you can say you also wrote.

How much you write does not matter. It could be one work or ten thousand words. Word counts are fun to brag about but we all have had sessions where we rewrote a section that was not working so our final word count looked like we were wasting our time in spite of writing thousands of words.

We all know that new writing is writing. Editing is also writing, even when it is the work of others. Critiquing is also writing, just as Poetry, blogging, technical writing, articles, writing assignments, world and character creation. BBS posts and E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to story or writing.
In essence, if you have to ask if it is writing, it is.

As for me, I did write. Not as much as I hoped. I had fired my spirit of Vengeance one and two off to a friend. I finally got it back. His suggestions are very valid with only a bit of disagreement with names. He is a comic book fan and knew obscure information about names used in publications I never even knew about. I will let the publisher worry about that. I started the editing based on his suggestions, but have not had time to get back to it. It will cause some changes in the story. One thing I hate is that my best editing was not all that good.

I have 36 story ideas in my compost pile. I've been getting ideas, but not at a really fast clip. I did post tonight's story idea on Friday. That helped as I did not have the time during the weekend.

On the Question of the week,

I can honestly say,

YES, I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
A little.
I got an idea for a flash piece and I've worked on that, but the going is slow. I've also started re-outlining the novel I'm dissatisfied with so I can rewrite it, then decided about 1/3 of the way in that it hasn't been long enough and it still needs to rest.

Now that's settled, I've been mentally revisiting my first-ever novel attempt. I think while I'm waiting for the right time to rewrite "Sworn" I'll work on that and some short stories.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I'm working on revisions to SEVEN STARS. Plus I've done some writing on MAGIC'S FOOL and BLOOD IS THICKER.

Also, crits and two new blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite finishing my cleaning project...no. Still stuck in neutral. But I'm more hopeful for this week...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy.

So last Friday I decided that putting up a chapter of my fanfiction every week was preventing me from really sinking into any other projects. I've put it on the back burner before, but this time I decided to just do a surge and complete it, no matter how long it takes.

I've put up 5 chapters since then and am working on the 6th now. Around 40k words altogether. With any luck I can keep going strong until I finish and then burn out in a spectacular fashion.

So did I write last week? YES! Will I be writing this week? YES!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yep I wrote again.

Got some good writing down on my mini-stories. Even though one came out at 1,800 words- no longer mini. I started two of them with just the opening. One guy ran around bases naked. I had to figure out why but I did. Second story starts with a guy sitting down at the dusty controls of spaceship. A relict he wants to salvage. I thought that one may come out to be a couple thousand words but I think now I know what happens so it will be shorter. Most of these stories are on five by three notepaper though. I think I will be able to take my laptop to work this next week though. There's one mini on it I need to finish.

I wrote on my New Mage novel, started the last chapter... finally. Well, might be second to last, we shall see how long I make it.

Did a crit, a couple of E-mails, posts here and on Google+

Posts on my blog http://musingsofle.blogspot.com

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.