Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNoWriMo 2011 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2011
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yesterday I received an E-mail reminding me It's almost NaNoWriMo time. That is National Novel Writing Mouth. You're suppose to write at least a 50,000 word novel in the mouth of November.
For more info http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano

It may seem a little early but now is the time to start thinking about it. You can't start it before Nov One but you can have notes. Any type of novel and even a couple not so novels, but still 50,000 words. More info on that at the site.

They have online groups you can join and may have in person groups in your area. All kinds of good stuff there to help you.

I have written two novels that way and I'm thinking of doing it again. I have a space opera idea that has been floating around in my head for quite a few months and there more UF and/or paranormal ideas I have too.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about doing NaNo. I've heard of it, but this would be my first time participating. I don't really have any ideas right now, though. I mean, sort of, but nothing developed enough to start on.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a pretty cool idea to get a Hatrack group going for it. We could cheer each other on and talk about plot and all that, and maybe at the end of the month we could swap chapters or that sort of thing.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could pause life and partake in NaNoWriMo. In fact, I am settling in on my next novel idea and have roughed out a cursory draft of the prologue and start to the first chapter.

Alas, children, work, other responsibilities leave me only the time for 20% of the goal.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be doing it. I try to write at least 1k a day anyway, and usually manage more, but I like to come up for air and actually spend time with the wife and kids.

If I didn't have the day job, maybe.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, thanks for posting this reminder.

I may do this.

50k a month is a blistering pace, but I'm a decent first drafter, so as long as I have my outline ready, I may make it.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Last time there was a hatrack group among the NaNo groups and a NaNo group among the hatrack groups.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Nano hatrack group is still up or would we have to start a new one?

And I need check the Nano Group for people in my area.

I understand about the time situation. That is why I debated both times and decided almost at the last moment. The first time anyway, I forget about last year but I think it was closer to the opening deadline.
Anyway: I had to sacrifice most of my short story writing, doing crits, restricted my hatrack time. I also did some work at work which helped. I barely got over the 50,000, the last week of Nov.

I will add that most people who signed up for it made it. In fact a couple of us went over last year- 70,000 or 80,000 words.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 25, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up. I'm Axeminister if anyone wants to buddy me.

I thought I'd go with a different name this time.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about trying Nanowrimo again. Last year was a laughable disaster. I'm hoping I will fare better this year.

If there is a Hatrack group I wouldn't mind joining it. Even if I don't meet the word count requirement I will definitely cheer others on

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't get my next novel written between now and then, I'll be in on Nano. I'll be in one way or another, I suppose, as I'd just have to come up with another idea if I write this one in advance. I've done Nano since 2007 and have been really happy with the results. Usually writing is so solitary, but with nanowrimo there's all sorts of other people participating, there are word sprints to be had (and I usually win those because I type really fast, winning is good!) there's the general camaraderie, and because November is not a month full of nothing, plenty of commiseration around family pressures and life pressures and the like.

Nano has given me the opportunity to write 4 of my 5 currently completed novels, and the fifth I only wrote because I knew I could due to nanowrimo (and wrote it in 40 days because I could.

So yes, count me in. you can usually find my on nano with the same handle - KayTi.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if I had the time to dedicate a solid month of only writing, I don't like the concept of NaNoWriMo because I am too much of a perfectionist to freewrite in that vein.

However, maybe I'll use it as a goal to finally get my full synopsis done.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Year 3 for me. I'm in. Outline's even already written.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wylde
Member # 9628

- posted      Profile for Wylde   Email Wylde         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how I'm going to fit this in but I need the motivation so I signed up. I'll join a group here or there.

Wylde is my name there as well if you want to add me. Good luck all!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

I forgot to mention that I am redux over at the Nanowrimo site as well. Feel free to add me - I will also add you guys to my buddy list.

Cheers!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Added everyone but Rhaythe who isn't Rhaythe over there.

Axe

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to take the challenge, but I have a non-fiction book in me that needs to come out first. Don't suppose they'd allow that? If not, I'll just have to plod along and pretend I'm in the race.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Elan, read their rules and suggestions. I think they may allow something, memoirs or some such but it's been a year since I read the rules, I could misremember.
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm in for this year as well. I've learned a thing or two about outlining since last time and plan to come prepared. If you want to add me, I'm RoxyL there, too.

Since we did it last year, are we automatically enrolled this year? At a quick glance I didn't see a new enroll button, though I can still access my account from last year.

Thanks. This is going to be crazy fun.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, I've gotten myself in a pickle.

Still thinking of doing it but now I have half a dozen ideas to choose from.

I mentioned the space opera but I recalled there's an epic fantasy that has been floating around in my head for almost as long. I know the beginning and I've thought about doing from the POV of a character who isn't the big hero... like Frodo. My MC will be one of four to seven people on a journey to reach a location where they will be able to save the day. Each person will do something to save the day but there's usually one main guy/gal who has something very important to do. So my MC won't be him/her. But since he can talk to dragons he will still be important.
And I may have one of those four to seven get killed and/or be permanently injured.

There's also the Angel novel sort of kinda of maybe along the same lines of Thomas E. Sniegoski 's Remy books. I originally came up with the idea during Buffy but have slightly modified the idea since reading the Remy books. I have a great opening scene for it but I'm kinda of not sure if I should make him forget he's an angel or not. At first.

I got a new idea for a half angel character tonight who has to learn who and what he really is. Sounds like a YA book to me.

and There was one or two other ideas.

But I have a month to decide.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out this year. Can't afford to commit to the pace. Everything is still in upheaval here, anyway. AND, I've decided I have to do a lot more thinking about what I want to write.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Added everyone but Rhaythe who isn't Rhaythe over there.

Oops. Username is "rdrhoads".

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Will this really be my fourth year doing Nanowrimo? I guess it will. Wow how time flies. That's 3 novels I'd never have written if I hadn't done it. Only one good one, but the other two have story lines that might be worth reviving someday.

Unfortunately I didn't finish last year, so I'm determined to do it this year. Our house has been for sale forever (or at least since April), and I can't imagine a better way to make it sell then to commit to a project of this scale. (Anyone want to bet me that we get an offer right before Halloween?)

This morning I woke up with the first 13 lines for the novel completely ready to go. Hopefully they'll still be there next month.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about it, I need that kind of workout for my writing muscle.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirele
Member # 9634

- posted      Profile for nirele           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. This is the only thing that seems to get me writing consistently, so I might as well!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thought of three more ideas. One is a space opera but deals with a militia type of force. Even though a certain planet is in a larger star nation it's on the outskirts so rarely sees any of the space navy. They have their own small space force.

Or a fantasy where the group goes on a epic journey like Lord of the Rings but set in contemporary times. Don't think I've seen a lot of those.

Or a SO with a newly minted captain of a small warship who has a family tradition to uphold even though he's not the best student, hence the small warship.

It would probably by good for me to do it this year. I seem to be in a writing slump. I do some at work but at home I tend to play around too much and end up with ten to twenty minutes for writing. Not enough time to finish a novel and revise a story for WotF. For some strange, unknown reason it's hard to get back into the habit of writing instead of playing. Actually, I think I know part of the reason.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey we are down to a hand full of days. I still haven't quite made up my mind even though I think I know which idea to do even though that is subject to change. Well, actually I guess I did make my mind by accident.

They revamped the NaNo site and once I found the group,on the revamped forums, for my area I more or less promised I would work hard to attend the kick off party. Won't have time for pizza but I can say hi to some and see who is returning and who is new.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

New hatrack forum on the New NaNo site.

Hatrackers-treehousers

Please spread the word

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 24, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 24, 2011).]

redux
Member # 9277

LDWriter2 - your link gives me an 'access denied.'

I was able to find the thread here: http://nanowrimo.org/en/forums/writing-groups-and-clubs/threads/10286

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I participated one year and accomplished the goal, but I've never been able to do much with all those words. Still, it was a fun exercise. I'll probably do it again some day.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay I started my novel. Not getting very far so far but I'm getting back to it soon.

Only 1800 some words. But I am working on chapter one on my laptop and two on my desktop. did that because of circumstances. I wanted to do most of it on my laptop but my wife was using the table for her crafts and I needed to write so I decided to do the next chapter on my desk computer. Never wrote a novel like that before.

Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thought I'd see what all my fellow Hatrackers doing NaNo are up to. I hope everyone's efforts are going well.

I'm going to give myself a pat on the back. I just hit 25k, though the book itself isn't anywhere near halfway done. It still feels good to reach the halfway to goal point before the mid-point of the month. I'm sticking with the standard goal for this year, since it's my first doing NaNo, but I may have to up it next year at this rate, just to challenge myself.

How is everyone else doing so far? Any successes/challenges to report at this point?

-Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I am behind. Yesterday I broke the 10,000 word level but I need to speed up.

I'm doing two chapters at once. Starts with my MC in space. In one chapter I turned an ordinary landing on earth into a life and death situation, and my MC goes to a family meeting smelling of sweat.

I can tell some sentences will need revising but I don't want to spend too much time trying to figure out how not to use was or the right word.

LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
So ya, I just started this, like today. But I think i can do it! Holding my breathing and diving in head first! Wish me luck, this is my first time doing nanowrimo, and my first time actually attempting to write more than one chapter of a book. LeetahWest if anyone wants to buddy!
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

Good luck! My first time doing NaNo myself, though not my first novel attempt. My first with a whole outline though.

-Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yea, Leetah.... Go for it. There is still time.

I'm a bit behind so you might even catch up with me even as I keep writing. [Smile]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I am now officially at 15,500 words. Still behind but still moving forward also.

I know one person... in my local NaNo Group... who is already over 50,000 words. And a couple of others over 20,000. I need to check to see but I might be in last place. Someone here thought they might be doing a 80,000 words novel if they had time to write it all.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
400 more words and I am finished with NaNo. I had to slow up a bit because my novel was planned for 40,000 words. I had to start another to get the words in, so I needed to pause to do some research.

Just keep at it and carve out the time and you can do it.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

I hit 40k last night *does the happy dance*, despite coming down with a wicked nasty cold. Sadly, the novel will be much longer than 50k, but at the rate I've been going, I think I should be able to hit 65-70k by the end of the month. Then I just continue on into December much the same until it's done. Should be finished before Christmas.

-Heresy

LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
nice! I wish I could have some time without my kids. I could get a ton more done. The kids compound distractions. First, there is the raising of them, so stopping fights answering questions etc. Then there is making them food all the time. I swear my kids tell me they are hungry ever hour and a half. Then I have to clean the kitchen to make food again, then I have to clean the house and do the laundry and on and on and on! I should be doing minimum of 3k words a day to catch up, but I missed yesterday to help me friend with her book launch and today isn't looking so hot either! Someone please take my kids!! On top of it all my sister will be in town for thanksgiving and staying at my place, which is a disaster because I haven't finished unpacking from when we moved in at the beginning of the month so I haven't been able to give the place a good cleaning. I could use a babysitter. [Frown]
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

Oh my. I will admit that I am aided in my writing by the fact that the only people depending on me are two cats, who sleep most of the day, and a bunch of coworkers I get to leave behind at the end of my 8 hours.

I will say this, Leetah, a salute you for even attempting NaNo with all the things going on in your life. I don't think I would have had the courage in your shoes. I can't take your kids, but I offer you a supportive hug from a fellow wrimo. *hugs*

-Heresy

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I understand the business of family life even though my business is different. But it can be done because it has been done. Hard yes, but worth doing.

But that's only a partial reason I am behind. I've been playing too much and today I lost three hours of writing because of a sinus headache that didn't want to go away. I ended up eating lunch about 2 hours later than norm. Not to mention, putting up Christmas decorations and my wife's been super busy with her online store all of a sudden. Wow, she's been shipping out stuff three days a week the last few weeks. She may have to take a week off from work to get it all done and her crafts organized.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I hit the 40,000 work mark!

I've learned a lot about my writing style this 4th time around.

So it turns out that I have a lot to say if I get up early in the morning and get it done first thing. I could just stay in my pjs and write all day if I do that. But if I try to do a few things and THEN write? It just isn't the same. And the staying up all night to write like I've done other years? Not a chance. I'm officially too old for that.

I'm not sure how this will work out for me in the long term. It's not like life will just allow me to stay in my pajamas until 10:00 every day for the rest of my life. Though if life WOULD let me do that, I could probably be rich and famous by next year. [Big Grin]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I finished last week and have even gotten a critique in. I'll have my NaNo book on Amazon next month in time for Christmas.

Including my planning time, this will have taken me about two months of work to produce a 45,000 word Youth/MG novel.

(You noticed that I didn't write 50,000 words? I cheated and started the second novel in this series during NaNo.)

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Ken, you scare me.

I'm at 1400 words for Nano. I'm going to come up a wee bit short.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I agree with Axe. How in the world do you get, even a 45,000 words novel ready to post in one month????

I'm still having problems getting last years NaNo novel ready.

However I met a writer online, through someone's blog, that might be your sister. If I understood her correctly she wrote and prepared a novel in a couple of months. It's the preparation that gets me.

But you did a critique. For a story or a novel?

Owasm
Member # 8501

No, LD. I finished the novel off early enough (in 12 days) to send the novel off for a critique.

I find it's much easier to get a half-sized novel ready. I'll be publishing another next month that I wrote over two years ago. It's 96,000 words and has sat forever in my WIP.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That is still quick work... can I borrow your critiquer ? [Smile]

But I'm doing better 26,800 and still some more work time. If I get Friday off I may get it done this weekend... maybe. [Smile]

But still I have a better chance now of finishing it on time.

Some quick, dirty writing in places even though I'm trying to use some of the writing techniques I've learned recently.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I finished this morning with 52,000 words, though I'm not quite to "The End" yet. I'm still very pleased, and I'll probably get to those awesome words before the end of November.
Heresy
Member # 1629

Yeah, I've been pushing along myself. I haven't done the verifier yet to officially "win", but that's mostly cause I've been too busy plugging away. Hit 70k last night, still going. I will NOT be at The End by the end of November, but I'm thinking 80-85k at month's end, which means only a week or two of December probably to finish this thing off (I'm still thinking 90-100k total for the book).

Still, I'm incredibly proud of myself for doing this, for pushing myself to write every day, to exceed the pace number, and for all the things that I've learned about myself as a writer. I find I'm already looking forward to NaNo 2012 [Smile]

-Heresy

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Congratulations, Heresy! That's awesome!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.