Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sept. 26, 2011 Did You Write?

Author Topic: Sept. 26, 2011 Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sept. 26, 2011 Did You Write?

It is that time of the week again. Post a note on what is going on in your life each and every week, and in the process, tell about what is going on in your writing. After a couple weeks of no writing mentions, shame will set in and you will work to open something, anything, just so you can say you wrote.

How much does not matter. High word counts are fun, but reversing word counts does happen when editing or rewriting a passage so it works. One can write just one word, or ten thousand words. it does not matter. the object is to get something opened and worked on each week, making writing a habit. Not all habits are bad.

What is writing is up to debate, but we are easy here. New writing is of course, writing. Editing, even if it is the work of others, or critiquing are also writing. Poetry, blogging, technical writing, writing assignments, articles, world or character creation are writing. Even BBS posts and E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to story or writing. While not all of these will count in your mind, our basic rule is that if you have to ask if it is writing, it is.

On the story idea front, I have 37 story ideas in my compost pile. I am keeping up with the days of the month. I doubt I will end up with more ideas this month. I am working later this week and that will keep me from doing many extra.

As for the question of the month, Yes, I did write. I added about 3 thousand words to my story since I got a response from my first reader. I did several passes on the first fifteen pages, and things popped into mind as to how to make the story better and more believable. It has been fun to work on. I have had to make notes for changes to later scenes to make them work better also.

On the woodworking front, my major planned projects are not going anywhere. I have ran into weather and energy problems. "Mom" projects also got in the way along with a demanding cat that had not seen much of anybody for two weeks.
I had made some crochet hooks and got them home. With what I had before, I have 18 crochet hooks laying next to me. A couple months ago, I got a basket of knitting stuff. I found it had a card that allowed you to check to see the diameter, the gauge of your knitting needles and hooks. Using the card, I now have a set of six hooks each of a different gauge. I have other hooks of repeated sizes. My plan is to make a whole set of sizes later.

As to the question of the week,

I can honestly say

YES, I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote!

I wrote my first-ever flash fiction. Well, it ended up being about 1,100 words, but I want to cut off that extra 100 if I can... get rid of the excess.

I did a lot of thinking about/note writing for a few new stories and am in the midst of reworking the world of an old, half-finished one. I may use that one for NaNoWriMo; it has the most groundwork laid. Or I may just start writing it... when I get into a project, I work on it a lot. I have the time right now, so hopefully I won't need NaNo to get moving.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did.

Some revisions on SEVEN STARS. I finally finished chapter 3 of MAGIC'S FOOL. And some on BLOOD IS THICKER.

Plus two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I did indeed write, which has been a welcome change from the morass I've been stuck in lately do to some personal issues. I won't say they're behind me, but I did remember that writing helps me get through almost everything.

I decided that I needed to work on certain skills while I outline my present novel idea and work on figuring out what went wrong with my last one, so I'm writing short fiction again (this seems to be a trend from some of the posts I've seen here). I wrong about 2200 words or so over the weekend on an idea I had at work on Friday. My job isn't very creative, but I find that leaves my brain free to think creatively about writing, so it works for me.

-Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still going full steam in my effort to finish up my fanfiction as quickly as possible. Since the Friday before last I've completed 14 chapters and have maybe 6 or 7 more to do. It'll be a relief to get it done so I can move onto other projects, but I've been having fun with it.

So this week YES, I did write.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Still down...like I said, my usual pre-vacation writing shutdown...though I'll be off for a few days beforehand and might be able to manage something in between packing and cleaning.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend, I was able to type THE END to the first story of a young adult series. Approx 21K words in all. Now, off it goes to my teenaged son's friends for critique. This should be a bizarre experience.

I also finished off a flash fiction story, "The Demon You Know," which, by the way, got its start right here on Hatrack in one of our trigger challenges. I will be seeking out critiquers for that one, as well.

I managed work on a few other projects, including my new WotF entry.

Overall, I wasn't happy with last week's new word count, but stories got finished, which always makes me happy.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.