Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dialogue question

Author Topic: Dialogue question
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is in conversation and is interrupted, is it better to do it this way:

"I can't stand pajamas, they are so..."
"Where's the peanut butter?" Bart said, interrupting her.

or this way:

"I can't stand pajamas, they are so--"
"Where's the peanut butter?" Bart said, interrupting her.

Dash or ellipsis? Or some other way?

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dashes for interruption. Ellipses for when the speaker doesn't finish the sentence for some other reason.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Thanks, Meredith.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I thought it was ellipses for interrupt, for precisely the reason you specified. They don't finish the sentence. Dashes usually separate a sentence with a new line of thinking, right?

I hit the ball -- not a big ball mind you -- and it went sailing over the roof.

"I hit the ball..."
"No you didn't."
"Yes, I did."

? Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriteRebekah
Member # 9657

- posted      Profile for WriteRebekah   Email WriteRebekah         Edit/Delete Post 
Dashes for interruption, ellipses for a pause (or intentionally unfinished thought) or omitted words.

In Axe's example:

"I hit the ball..."
"No, you didn't."

the first speaker is neither interrupted, nor has he noticeably left out any words. My inference from this dialogue is he let the phrase dangle, sort of like a whine or plea. If an interruption is meant, I'd try to make that clearer. Such as:

"I hit the ball to--"
"No, you didn't."

In Smaug's example, the first speaker is clearly interrupted (though I'd argue the explanatory tag is redundant).

"I can't stand pajamas; they are so--"
"Where's the peanut butter?" Bart said.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Okay Rebekah! Redundant yes, but not really any sentence I'm actually working with, so I just wanted to make it clear that the dialog in question was because of an interruption. But then, that makes it extra redundant, doesn't it? Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited October 07, 2011).]

WriteRebekah
Member # 9657

- posted      Profile for WriteRebekah   Email WriteRebekah         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to help. But moderately annoyed I will now never know what's so bad about pajamas.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the pajamas; I need to know where the damned peanut butter is. My wife isn't here to tell me.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

The peanut butter had better not be in my pajamas--that's all I've got to say.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, as I recently found out whilst formatting ebooks - all of the dashes above should be em dashes (as should the one in this sentence), which is Alt-Ctrl-NumberPadMinus in MS Word. And when you separate part of a sentence - like this - you don't put spaces between the words and the em dashes. So it looks-naturally-sort of like this. The other dash, the en dash, is used primarily for ranges and dates. RIP John Doe, 1965 - 2011 (en dash). I think en dash is Ctrl-NumberPadMinus in Word. It's a bit more of a pain in the butt to get keyboard shortcuts to work for those on a Mac. Doable (and googleable), but a little of a pain.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
en dash Mac keyboard shortcut is Option + Hyphen
em dash Mac keyboard shortcut is Option + Shift + Hyphen

Chicago's punctuation principles on the mighty em dash;

• Use no more than two per sentence to avoid confusion
  • To set off an amplification or explanation
  • To separate a subject (noun) from an immediately following or preceding pronoun referring to the subject
  • To indicate abrupt breaks, i.e., midsentence changes in thought and other interruptions
  • Plus several other uses related to use instead of or with other punctuation when context strength of interruption or change in thought indicates
And ellipsis points (note : an ellipsis is a figure of speech oftentimes but not exclusively punctuated with ellipsis points);
  • To suggest faltering, fragmentary, confused, insecure, tenuous, or interrupted speech (though an em dash might do as well for strong interruptions)
  • To indicate trailed off speech that doesn't complete a thought or idea
  • To indicate omitted text: word, phrase, sentence, or paragraph length

An ellipsis is figure of speech where a readily understood word or phrase is omitted.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited October 08, 2011).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, as I recently found out whilst formatting ebooks - all of the dashes above should be em dashes (as should the one in this sentence), which is Alt-Ctrl-NumberPadMinus in MS Word. And when you separate part of a sentence - like this - you don't put spaces between the words and the em dashes. So it looks-naturally-sort of like this. The other dash, the en dash, is used primarily for ranges and dates. RIP John Doe, 1965 - 2011 (en dash). I think en dash is Ctrl-NumberPadMinus in Word. It's a bit more of a pain in the butt to get keyboard shortcuts to work for those on a Mac. Doable (and googleable), but a little of a pain.

Or, you can just set Word's auto correct feature to make a double dash into an em dash. I have that turned off right now, for proper ms formatting. But it's not too hard to do a search and replace.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
@extrinsic THANKYOUSOMUCHHOWDIDINOTKNOWTHIS. My life is sooooo much better with mac shortcuts—i don't know how i lived without them.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Extrinsic, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, micmcd and MAP.

I should note I do this stuff for a living, lately as a paid editorial assistant for a respected digest, as well as a self-employed freelancer, and paid writing mentor. So many styles to work off of, from, and toward, so many variants: mechnical styles, processes and strategies, hardwares, softwares, applications, outcomes; many, many, many technologies and principles to bring to bear.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.