Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Light Novel?

Author Topic: Light Novel?
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Since NaNo is approaching I thought I'd try my hand at a Light Novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel

Since I am not only a SF/F nerd, but also an anime/manga nerd I thought I'd give it a shake. Another question popped up in my mind though...

Are Light Novels viable for self publishing? I could churn them out pretty quickly and I have a friend who happens to be a splendid
illustrator. Self publishing has always been touted as a niche market, and light novels seem to be the niche of niches.

So... Does this sound like a good idea to you? And should I use a pen name in the event that I decide to self-pub Light Novels?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of cell phone novels but this is the first time I've heard about Light Novels. I think one of the things you have to consider is whether there is a market out there for you.

I was intrigued so I did a bit of googling and found this: http://gargarstegosaurus.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/the-failure-of-the-light-novel-in-america/

It appears to be very market specific. If you enjoy writing in this style, definitely go for it. But if your goal is to be published, it appears to be a very limited niche.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they'd fit into the "young adult" novel category, if they're not being racked with the manga (as per redux's link)---except maybe for the illustrations. How many per novel, usually?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends. Some feature illustrations at the end of each chapter. Some just at the beginning and end of the novel.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I say write what you want and then figure out how best to market it. Some YA has illustrations. Novellas as ebooks are another option.

I enjoyed learning about light novels -- I had never heard of them.

Also, as far as concerns with pen names because of the niche style -- I think there is no need. The Sandman graphic novels helped form Neil Gaiman's brand identity, even though he writes mostly novels now. I think not using a pen name helped him in this instance. If your writing falls within your brand identity, you should be good to go.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.