Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fantasy Magazine and Lightspeed merge?

Author Topic: Fantasy Magazine and Lightspeed merge?
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know when and how this will happen? Will the new incarnation accept both SF and F stories?

I understand that it would become more cost efficient for the editors and publishers that way, but that also means that we're down on one venue.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
There wasn't much info on the Fantasy Magazine website but, it sounds like sometime very early next year and yes they will be publishing both...slightly less of each from what I remember reading, like 4 SF and 4 fantasy stories a month or week or whatever it is.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
John J Adams said in his announcement (sorry, I do not have a link) that the amount of fiction will not change. There will still be 4 fantasy and 4 sci-fi stories a month. They are cutting back on the non-fiction though.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed this means that there is going to be one magazine instead of two. Which means I'm going to wait to subscribe. I had planned on buying the e-version of each to read through my Nook--someone on another thread mentioned the idea of subscribing through their e-reader-- but if they are combining into one I will wait.

I wonder what the new name will be: Fantasy Speed, Light Fantasy.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
John Joseph Adam's editorial: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/editorial-december-2011/

quote:
...each issue of the combined magazine will contain Lightspeed’s four science fiction stories and four fantasy stories from Fantasy. We won’t be reducing the number of stories, or replacing any Lightspeed content with Fantasy content; this will be a true merger.
Currently, Lightspeed is only accepting science fiction submissions but they will be open to fantasy submissions at a later date: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/about/guidelines/

[ December 03, 2011, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: redux ]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of names how about "Tripping The Light Fantastic?"

But it's going to be all under Lightspeed?

But that wouldn't be a merger or a combining that would be Lightspeed taking over Fantasy Magazine.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
LightFantasy? Speed Magazine? FantasySpeed? (Oh I like that one. I can just see Captain Picard yelling that. "Fantasy Speed, mister Redshirt!") Flightspeed Magazine?

Although I guess Light Speed is a fantasy anyway . . .

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called Lightspeed for their quick heart-breaking rejections.

Fantasy lends its name for your belief that they'll publish what you sent them.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.