Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Poetry/Songs in fantasy Novels (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poetry/Songs in fantasy Novels
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a few of Anne Rice's novels and she has included some of her husband's poetry at the beginning of her chapters. I admit to skimming those since I never felt they added anything to the story.

In her novel THE VAMPIRE LESTAT she included some songs from the vampiric rocker. I remember reading those lines since they were part of the chapters and seemed to have relevant clues regarding the plot or were part of the protagonist's characterization.

I think a few lines of poetry or song as part of world building can be a good idea and can definitely enhance a story; but bringing the pace to a jarring halt in order to showcase a random poem would definitely turn me off as a reader.

Regarding your specific example, a few lines of songs interspersed within the description, dialogue, etc. can definitely be a very good idea since you can easily make it part of the characterization. I say go for it [Smile]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuziQ
Member # 9730

- posted      Profile for SuziQ   Email SuziQ         Edit/Delete Post 
I love poetry and song and dance and all other art forms in stories. One of the reasons I love Tolkien is his use of these elements, not just to express an emotion or as a plot device but as character development, as storytelling elements within the story and in the case of the Elves, pure pleasure in the telling and retelling, which is part of their character development. I have also read stories and played games where words of power, songs, verses, ect were used in healing, in magics, all kinds of ways. I get excited when I see them used well.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.