Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Fiction Online Wants YOU!

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Online Wants YOU!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow Hatrackers.

In case you hadn't heard, Flash Fiction Online is open to submissions and reading like crazy. We are in great need of amazing stories between 500 and 1000 words and would love to be able to publish one (or more) of our compadres at Hatrack.

Submit here: http://ffo.submishmash.com/submit

Thanks!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent you something.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep trying, but, alas, my FFO rejection pile continues to grow.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up djvdakota.

I sent something too.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Keep in mind that if your story is in the 500 to 600 word range, we pay better than Daily Science Fiction. They pay 8 cents a word. We pay $50 per story.

So send those super short ones to us first!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say that hey, I just received a rejection but it was for another flash mag. I do have one at FFO though.

And after I get it back I can send in the one I just got back. Or one of three others that are the right length.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to build slush with a post like that. I've thrown a story your way.

Thanks for the prompt!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I haven't been able to tickle your fancy. Maybe someday. I just got another rejection a few days ago.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Keep trying everyone. It's a luck of the draw!
rcmann
Member # 9757

In that case, I'm screwed. With my gambling luck, I might as well start posting handwritten copies on telephone poles.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I'm with rc but at least on telephone poles someone would probably read them. [Smile]

But you still have one of mine. So we shall see if my story is chosen.

If so maybe I should enter the Cailf. lottery. Its up to half a Billion dollars or will be by the end of the week. [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my stories is still listed with FFO as 'in progress.'

Still...if I were to take rc's suggestion...I live in the woods, so it's like being surrounded by towering columns of notebook paper. Time to get an extension cord for my woodburning set!!!

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
lol... the telephone pole idea cracks me up.

Indeed, keep trying. Like Suzanne said, we love publishing Hatrackers - especially since the magazine started out as 100 percent Hatrack staff. [Smile]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep trying, but, alas, my FFO rejection pile continues to grow.
Mine, too. Not one acceptance, and I've been an associate editor there since the beginning. Never lose hope; just give it your best.

It seems some of you are under the impression that we can only submit one story at a time.

From the guidelines:
quote:
We DO accept multiple submissions (you submit more than one story at a time to us). Please submit multiple submissions as a SEPARATE submission for each story—DO NOT submit multiple stories in one Submishmash submission form or in one text document.

We DO NOT accept simultaneous submissions (you submit your story to us and another market at the same time).

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

That's handy to know. But honestly, I don't write much flash fiction. Just not my style. Oh well.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good thing I didn't try for the lottery.

Got a rejection... of course... last night just before I signed off.

redux
Member # 9277

Out of curiosity, are Hatracker submissions being pushed quicker through the slush pile?
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
No. They come in the same as everyone else. If I was in a position to help, I might be bought--but alas, I'm not.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

*plies mfreivald with cookies*

[Smile]

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a rejection for FFO yesterday. [Frown]

I thought it was a great fit for them.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

EVOC - sometimes submissions feel like a crapshoot. Don't let it get you down - resubmit somewhere else! [Smile]

I'm still waiting for a reply. Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to hear back, EVOC?

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
It was right on schedule. 31 days I think (with out looking it up).
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

Just got my rejection, but I reached the very final stage and got a personalised rejection with some good feedback, which I shall heed and try again elsewhere.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
pdblake, how long was the wait time?
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

47 days. According to Duotrope the average is 23.
babooher
Member # 8617

Thanks.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

I'm still 45 days out. The suspense is killing me [Smile]
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was also rejected. Will try again.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder that FFO subs are read blindly. The names are stripped off before the readers get them.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
We're usually really good at reading within the month, so if it takes longer than forty days, then chances are the story is currently in the winnowing queue.

That means someone on staff liked it, and we are fighting for our favorites to get published. We winnow from the top 15-20% of the stories.

Don't quote me*, but usually, the longer it takes, the more we like it.

Although, there's always a timing of submission factor to deal with. If you submitted your story during, (or right before) winnowing, it might be ignored until after winnowing is over, and then if the story makes it to the next winnowing round, that would take a while. So it might take a long time, and then not be one of the top few stories we publish, and ultimately get a rejection letter.

But if you submitted maybe a week or two before winnowing, and we like it a ton, and there's an easy consensus, you could get a positive response in less than thirty days.

So basically ignore the comment in bold.

If you were rejected, keep trying. There are often really good stories we like that aren't quite right for us, or one person on staff hates, or has a weak ending. Keep trying. We can't know what story will fit, until we find it.

We love to publish Hatrackers. We just don't know who is a Hatracker when we are reading.

~Sheena

*I'm not speaking as FFO, this is just my personal experience as a slush reader.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

Day 46 - Rejection.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Time for me to send another one. Maybe this weekend, I need to send a few others out.
babooher
Member # 8617

day 53 rejection
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys. Hope the next time it's a sale. The increase in Hatrack submissions might explain the increase in quality of slush this last 4-6 weeks.

trust me, even in this very small mag, we can only publish a few stories a month and the end result is in the single digit percentiles. The odds are against all of us! (no matter what the Capitol says about the odds ever being in your favor.)

Please, keep submitting.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Against all of us combined? The more we submit the more chance someone will get in, it seems. Look at Digital SF or is Daily SF or both.

Sometimes it seems like half of us have gotten in one of those.

So keep trying one of you guys will get in...or more than one.

I'll keep trying sometimes.

pdblake
Member # 9218

They've currently got two of mine. Hitting them with both barrels [Big Grin]
redux
Member # 9277

Good luck pdblake [Smile]

I decided to also try my luck again and submitted another story.

redux
Member # 9277

I got a personal rejection!
babooher
Member # 8617

Uh...awesome?
redux
Member # 9277

Short of an acceptance, a personal rejection is definitely awesome. It beats a form letter any day [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.