Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The 7 Day Novel Writing Retreat

Author Topic: The 7 Day Novel Writing Retreat
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's time to rock this while I am still feeling temporarily insane.

I am going to ensconce myself (ensconce is a seriously cool word) to write my YA Urban Fantasy Thingy. I got it all in my head and I stocked up on food and beverages. I also discovered that I am a better discovery writer than outliner and that I can average 1.5 k words an hour (1.5 GOOD words). Break. Rinse. Repeat.

The only thing I have are a few turning points which are zingy and cool and I'll write towards those.

The weekend is before me and Wednesday is a Holiday so no college. I'll shirk classes on Thursday and Friday because I can (literature classes and I forewarned my professor. Surprisingly she's kinda cool with it. Or she might pity my stupidity).

Feel free to drop by and post a line of encouragement/advice in this thread. Or a lengthy diatribe telling me that I am a delusional idiot who is bound to fail.

So, in the words of Darkwing Duck,

LET'S GET DANGEROUS!

(Yeah, I know, writing a novel isn't that dangerous. But let me feel cool for a nanosecond, okay?)

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people like to write by isolating themselves from normal contact and just turning it out hour after hour till it's done...if it works for you, go for it, by all means. Or at least give it a try.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Sort of a National Novel Writing Week. NNWW

You can do it.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Sounds like fun. [Smile]
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
For some of us writing a novel is the most dangerous thing there is.

Good luck buddy.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Beware the paper cuts!
Or, I guess in this day and age, carpal-tunnel syndrome!

Good luck my friend.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds dangerous to me. What if you forget to eat that food you've saved up? What if your friends or classmates try to kidnap you for an evening of fun or studying, and you must fight them off? What if by the end of the week, you're a mumbling lunatic who's forgotten how to converse with real people?

Oh, well. Best of luck!

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When you start wandering around the room you've locked yourself into, thinking of weird things you have to do or want to do, rather than thinking of writing, it'll be time to rethink the experiment...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in November, I was able to sit for 10 hours, working on my thesis. If I could only do that when writing fiction, I would be unstopable...
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thanks, gang. I managed a lil' more than 10k yesterday. Sitting down for another round.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You've already been distracted. You posted here.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Slam writing does have advantages (slam: an improvisational performance). One major one: subconscious influences. How the subconscious influences creativity is nonquantifiable but qualifiable. The difficulty and tedium and frustration I have with slam writing is filtering out the ephemera from the chaff and putting the ephemera to influential use. But that's what rewriting and revision is for. Raw draft writing, that's for slam writing. Before and after: planning, evaluating, and adjustment.

My biggest drawback from slam writing arises when I recognize summary and explanatory recitals--tells--plague my raw drafts, and content and organization issues. However, with effort taken to identify tells that aren't working I can locate areas for revision. Outlining allows me to adjust content and organization. Expression, now, there's the friction rub. (Expression or voice: idiosyncracy and idiom features, and attitude toward a topic.)
----
My master's thesis due in nine months for defense is a work of fiction, 60-ish pages, 15,000 to 21,000 words. This past semester's grades posted today: 4.0. It was the toughest semester I've had to date. A tough semester of reading, writing, and responding coursework, and research and documentation coursework, the latter about busted my chaps.

However, I'm now fully accredited for teaching writing curricula at the college level.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Foste, on your 10k yesterday. Keep up the good work!

And congrats to you, too, extrinsic. When you get college work teaching writing (if you don't already have it), please let us know what college (so when people ask for suggestions on a good place to go to study writing, I can add yours to the list).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ms. Dalton Woodbury. I'm coaching, mentoring, and tutoring writers now. Teaching is a few years down the road yet. Maybe an online course sooner, if I can figure out the logistical details to my satisfaction. One must-do: publish an anthology of student work, so that students experience the full process from inspiration to submission to editorial screening and copyediting to publication and have a product in hand to show for their efforts.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Got up early. Hit another 10k today. Day 3 looms ahead...
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Foste, you are doing it! Go, go, go! Great job!

And, extrinsic, sounds like a great plan. Hope the anthology works out.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, Foste.
I'm envious. I'm lucky if I can get 1500 "good" words a day when I have a day off.
If you need help staying put, like with an intavenous or oral-gastric tube for continuous fluids and nutrition, let me know. I can also set you up with a urinary catheter and a commode. The battleaxe nurse to keep everything going and clean costs extra.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thanks KDW! Doctor, I'll take you up on that offer around day 6 or 7 (can you get me some zoloft, by any chance?)

7...k...left...today's...quota...must...stay...strong.

babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Foste! And writing a novel can be absolutely dangerous, just ask Tom Spanbauer. [Smile]
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Almost there. 20k or so left.

Aiming for Friday, possibly Saturday if I need to ram another 10k in.

GreatNovus
Member # 9671

- posted      Profile for GreatNovus   Email GreatNovus         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic made me think of The Dark Half or whatever that one S King novel was.

Also Foste is a cool guy best of luck and don't forget to shine shoes. [Smile]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thanks GreatNovus! I still need to shine your shoes for that... you know... coupon.

Wrote for more than 12 hours yesterday.

I swear one more day of this and I'll... wait. waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I AM DONE! *manic laugh*
Fairy dust laced high fives for everyone!

Now I'll go and sleep and sleep of revising and editing.

GreatNovus
Member # 9671

- posted      Profile for GreatNovus   Email GreatNovus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thinkit would crush me to do get that much writing done and then try to edit it or get critques from someone. So much work only to be followed by so much work. Gives me a headache just thinking about it. Either way congrats on getting done your work ethic is inspiring to me. Looking forward to reading the finished product when it comes out.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Foste!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
You be crazy, dude! But in a good way.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Brooks
Member # 9727

- posted      Profile for Ben Brooks   Email Ben Brooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done! I'm inspired to try something similar one day just to see if I can.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...good one. Never got to saying anything encouraging but You Did It. Niiice. And Good Job.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.