Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sherlock Holmes in 1st person, examples

Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes in 1st person, examples
robertq
Member # 5265

- posted      Profile for robertq   Email robertq         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I began the thread on first-person narrators talking about a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories written in first person from Holmes' pov, and Robert Nowall knew the titles. Here's the first few lines and the links.

http://sherlockholmes_cases.tripod.com/lionmane.htm

THE ADVENTURE OF THE LION'S MANE
It is a most singular thing that a problem which was certainly as abstruse and unusual as any which I have faced in my long professional career should have come to me after my retirement, and be brought, as it were, to my very door. It occurred after my withdrawal to my little Sussex home, when I had given myself up entirely to that soothing life of Nature for which I had so often yearned during the long years spent amid the gloom of London.

http://sherlockholmes_cases.tripod.com/soldiers.htm
THE ADVENTURE OF THE BLANCHED SOLDIER

The ideas of my friend Watson, though limited, are exceedingly pertinacious. For a long time he has worried me to write an experience of my own. Perhaps I have rather invited this persecution, since I have often had occasion to point out to him how superficial are his own accounts and to accuse him of pandering to popular taste instead of confining himself rigidly to facts and figures.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked 'em up on Wikipedia, though I've read them and also discussed them the last time they came up 'round here. But they're so in public domain...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.