Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Scientific Rigor and Suspension of Disbelief (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scientific Rigor and Suspension of Disbelief
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I implied Crichton is a Boom Generation child. Though I know he isn't technically, he comes from a generation that played the game to a degree but not as much a game as a storyteller ritual. Where else would Booms have learned it? From Silent and Greatest Generations too.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, now, "idiot plots!" I could really get going on those. (They also fly across the room.)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

From The Turkey City Lexicon, complied by Lewis Shriner and Bruce Sterling (not copyrighted). Hosted by SFWA.

"Idiot Plot
A plot which functions only because all the characters involved are idiots. They behave in a way that suits the author’s convenience, rather than through any rational motivation of their own. (Attr. James Blish)"

Then there's TSTL characters. Too Stupid To Live but through suiting an author's convenience do. Or don't survive for the purposes of showing how dangerous a setting really is and obviating how not so stupid a protagonist and supporting characters are who survive the danger. Like redshirt Starfleet security characters in the original Star Trek saga, they must die because they are TSTL.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the STAR TREK redshirts also died because someone had to, and you couldn't kill off your main characters in episodic tv.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
I guess I implied Crichton is a Boom Generation child. Though I know he isn't technically, he comes from a generation that played the game to a degree but not as much a game as a storyteller ritual. Where else would Booms have learned it? From Silent and Greatest Generations too.

I still don't understand what this game is. Could you please explain it? Does it have a name?
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Idiot Plot
A plot which functions only because all the characters involved are idiots.

Yet another confirmation of my belief that in fiction *seeming* realistic and *being* realistic are two different things.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
@Kathleen

Oh, your Star Trek comment reminded me that I need to pick up Scalzi's Redshirts. Much obliged!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Originally posted by redux:
quote:

I still don't understand what this game is. Could you please explain it? Does it have a name?
The game is one-upmanship through telling tales that increasingly stretch credulity so far that someone cries nonsense. Whoever cries foul first loses. I know the name of the game as the less socially acceptable term for bovine feces. Bull puck, bull scat are also socially suitable substitute terms.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the loser was the one that cried nonsense when the story is real. Crying foul on a blatant untruth was no problem. So the real trick was to have a true story that sounded so unlikely, that they would cry foul on that.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

quote:
quote:
quote:

The game is one-upmanship through telling tales that increasingly stretch credulity so far that someone cries nonsense. Whoever cries foul first loses. I know the name of the game as the less socially acceptable term for bovine feces. Bull puck, bull scat are also socially suitable substitute terms.
Ohhhhh! *bovine feces clicks in*

GenXers played this game too.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The struggling writer friends of my youth and me played several flavors of the BS game: empirical truths disguised as elaborations and elaborations disguised as empirical truths and elaborations disguised as elaborations. Newcomers were welcomed but needed a briefing, or a program to catch on, after they'd caught up on penalty drinks or whatever. The purposes of the game as we saw it were to practice telling tales and pass time in friendly company.
redux
Member # 9277

We played BS with a deck of cards. That's why at first I didn't recognize your version.
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever check out failblog.org, there is a wonderful example of a lack of scientific rigor and bad plotting as it appears in Prometheus. I chuckled mightily.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
We played BS with a deck of cards. That's why at first I didn't recognize your version.

We did too. There's a similar game played with dice. Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Bootstrap, and Davy Jones play liar's dice in a scene from The Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. I most enjoy the tale-telling and make-believe versions. Accurate or not, I'm satisfied Crichton does too.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I ever sat around playing what seems like a game of "Can you top this?" with a bunch of my fellow schoolmates---I think I have online, but that'd be later. Much later.

Dragging it back to the main theme..."scientific rigor" is hardly the only problem something can have. I could never get into the TV show Friends because the characters lived in extremely expensive New York apartments while working low-paying jobs. Maybe that corrected itself, maybe it was just my impression from catching a couple of episodes, no more...but I couldn't enjoy the show because of it. (The distressing lack of widespread ethnicity didn't help, either.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.