Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book Reviewers

Author Topic: Book Reviewers
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need a thread on places that do book reviews. I have been on a quest to find some Children's Book review sites for Daddy is Tired and Google is a nightmare.

But when I tried to find book reviewers for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ect. The mess Google returned was even worse. So if you know of a place that does book reviews, post it here to help everyone else find it.

(Oh and if you know of a Children's Book review site PLEASE tell me)

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not found finding the reviewers a problem, but actually getting them to do a review. Last year about a dozen or so offered to review Tales From Under The Bridge, so far only one review has shown up. Most seem to be snowed under, many bad communicators, and almost all unreliable.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EVOC:
I think we need a thread on places that do book reviews. I have been on a quest to find some Children's Book review sites for Daddy is Tired and Google is a nightmare.

But when I tried to find book reviewers for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ect. The mess Google returned was even worse. So if you know of a place that does book reviews, post it here to help everyone else find it.

(Oh and if you know of a Children's Book review site PLEASE tell me)

http://www.theliteratemother.org/
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
http://thebooksmugglers.com/
for Speculative Fiction and Young Adult books

More obvious places...

Amazon.com - Books

Goodreads.com

New York Times Reviews
Offers a search for book reviews since 1981.

Publishers Weekly - Reviews

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
We're just starting one called prosersread.blogspot.com but it's still in its infancy. Its main focus is YA and MG, with some adult that might be interesting for teenagers. For what its worth, we could be persuaded into doing a review. [Smile]
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

This thread sort of died out.

I am looking for a place to have my Novel reviewed. It comes out October 16th. It is a Sci-Fi novel.

I hope to get Amazon and Goodreads reviews as I sell copies. But I really want to find a few places that will do an honest review. I won't pay for one either. I will provide a copy of the book.

I'm already checking the ones above. But who else, or where else, does Speculative Fiction reviews.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
http://bookblogs.ning.com/

I don't know a lot about the place, because I just found it, but it looks like a treasure trove of info.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Here is one I just found:

http://www.bookreviewblogs.com/

Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try:

http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

This one just agreed to review my novel:

The Indie Ebook Review Site

He did tell me he had a 8-12 week delay, but that is okay with me.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard about this one:

http://hampton-networks.com/about/

It appears to be intended to work as a kind of collective for book blogs that writers can access and maybe even advertize on, though I'm not certain what-all you can do.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

This might be of interest to some of you, especially with regard to reviews on places like Amazon.
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...that's depressing, Kathleen.

I suspect, however, that publishing will continue to evolve. People still enjoy reading and will pay for the privilege, and the market (particularly internet) will evolve to provide greater and more immediate access to the particular content for a reader's individual tastes for any particular mood at any moment of time. Sort of like ITunes.

I suspect indie authors and publishers, even self-publishers, will find an audience, whether through Smashwords or Kobo or some other evolving venues. And, same as now, few authors will make a living off the writing, but they will still have a chance (however small) of finding an audience.

The challenge is to provide quality content and value while recognizing the infinite differences in tastes.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
The story in the link Kathleen provided tells me publishers are getting desperate. Indie publishing is bigger than anyone dares to admit. This means it's working; if an author gets a contract he/she doesn't like, going indie is a viable threat. In the end, giving weight to threat is the best thing that came from the indie revolution.

Above all, by doing these things, Amazon is hurting itself. Others (Kobo, B&N, etc.) are already catching up and even cutting past them.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.