Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When something is uncomfortable to write

Author Topic: When something is uncomfortable to write
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you consider it a good or a bad thing when something is uncomfortable to write?

I'm thinking that getting a visceral reaction from myself is good, because that means there's something powerful in there, but when it's hard to think about, does that mean that readers will also shy away from it?

Not sure what to think. Doesn't mean I won't write it, but I'll be glad when I get to the end!

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Stewart posted a link to an interview with the author of the infamous "Spar" over on the WotF forum. I think that might relate well to what you're going through. It's one of those things you've got to balance, I think. Knee-jerk reactions can aid or hinder, just depends on how the material is juxtaposed against the other story elements.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone said that if you don't care about what you write, why should the reader?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about a "visceral reaction," but I've got any number of things that make me uncomfortable when I try to write them out. Sex is probably tops on the list---when I write it down and then read it over, it all seems so grossly clinical and silly, and not the mood I was hoping to create. ("Write what you know," and all that.) I've done a little better lately with romance, but that's easier...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.