Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNoWriMo 2012 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd mention here that the National Novel Writing Month site has been relaunched and that means sign ups for the 2012 NaNoWriMo are open. It seemed like a good idea to have a thread for this year's, where people can talk about it, find buddies or ask questions.

Their website is here, and you can sign up or look for information about it for those who've never done it before.

I did NaNo myself for the first time last year and really enjoyed the experience. It's not necessarily for everyone, but it's definitely for me. 50k in 30 days sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad if you keep at it. Also, having friends or writing buddies who are doing it, who can give you a pep talk when you need it also helps. I'm going to be doing it with a friend of mine who has never written a novel before but wanted to try both a novel and NaNo, since she hears me talk about it a lot. I think we'll have fun.

As I did last year, I'll be blogging my way through the experience, though that's definitely not necessary.

So, how about we start with a sound off of who's planning to participate this year from Hatrack?

Also, as I said, if you've got questions about it, this would be a good place for them. Those of use who have been through it at least once can try to answer.

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I might do it this year. I have a specific novel in mind. If I can get the detailed outline finished by Nov. 1, I will probably go for it.

I did it in 2009 and was successful. But this time I'll have a better plan.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't made up my mind on this. I've done it and won three times, but have only one actual completed novel out of it. Basically, I find novels very scary. I'm so much more comfortable in short form.

Which is probably a sign I should do it, hm?

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

Well, challenging oneself is a good way to grow. I know I was intimidated the first time I did NaNo, but I'm glad I did.

Before I forget to mention it, if anyone else is doing NaNo, my handle over there is the same as here, Heresy, if you want to add as a writing buddy.

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I will be doing it again. I had decided not to because of the time and effort it takes to do it but suddenly I have three ideas.

One deals with the adventure of a Leprechaun and gnomes in the modern world, even though most of their adventures would be in the wild.

Second deals with a contemporary non-Christmas Santa Claus adventure...more adult-ish even though that doesn't mean he chases girls and smokes anything,

Third one is...third one is...third one is...Rats can't think of it right now.

It might have been a UF tale set in the 1930s staring a boy of twelve or so who just figured out he can do things other people can't but I don't think that one was for NaNo.

Oh well, I might think of it later.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'll give it a try this year. I'm quite busy with work and school but I'm in serious need of some re-creation. I'm getting burned out. I'm Pyre Dynasty over there too. Even though I still haven't finished my first try from years ago. (Mainly because I hit a point where I decided I really should do more research on Victorian England before writing more.)

I think I'll combine some of my uploading musings into a novel. Either that or rewrite the novel I wrote as a teenager. Or I could do some Zombie-POV. Perhaps I'm finally ready to write The Grid. (Nah, I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to push that button. (Okay I really need to sleep I just told an inside joke about a novel that only exists inside my head.))

Dang guys, you got me excited, and I've got a lot of essays in the mix. (Perhaps I'll cheat and insert them in the middle and call it post-modernism.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, I'm in. rdrhoads on nano's site if anyone wants to find me.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quaden
Member # 8921

- posted      Profile for Quaden   Email Quaden         Edit/Delete Post 
Just signed up. Nothing like to jump off a cliff to get started.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it for 5 years, and I'm on the fence this year. I haven't had any brilliant ideas knocking down my door, and I do have 4 (count them...) previous Nanowrimo manuscripts in need of revising.

My current thought is to find the most promising of those old manuscripts and spend as much time editing it as I would normally spend writing a new one. I'm hoping that I can still get in on the cameraderie of Nanowrimo though, since I live for it from one year to the next. I've got no idea how that idea might be received though. What are your thoughts?

(On the other hand, I'm still open to that great idea bowling me over.)

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phule1970
Member # 9944

- posted      Profile for phule1970   Email phule1970         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Yes, that is a rhetorical question. Same name for those who don't know me on either boards. [Smile]
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on completing a novel in progress. Hopefully I can get it done in time to do NaNoWriMo on a new manuscript.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jemster
Member # 9951

- posted      Profile for Jemster           Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed up for this year. Novels are more my style but am intimidated slightly of writing one in only a month. But it's a lot more than I did last year so that's something.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

Just a couple more weeks until NaNo begins. Is everyone doing whatever preparation they need, even if it's just hyperventilating or screaming into a pillow?

-Julie

tripper
Member # 9485

- posted      Profile for tripper   Email tripper         Edit/Delete Post 
Been away from the treehouse for a year and a half, going to jump in feet first! Just signed up for NaNo, my username is swallgren.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up this year as well. I'm dreamer74 on the NaNo boards.

Don't know what I'm writing. What? A plan? What's that?

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'm in. genevive42 over there, too.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you all luck. I've done it for three years in a row, but I've already got my current WIP at 6,500 words, so I want to finish that. However, I'll be cranking along with you all.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugg is it already November. Seems like it was yesterday. Better get my butt in gear.
Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I have been on hiatus from the Treehouse as well, but NaNoWriMo is on my calendar! I am even planning on helping my 8yr daughter write a book during it as well. Wish me luck! I managed to get 12k last year only giving it an honest week's effort so I know I can do it this year. And I have a better story outline to go with. I am LeetahWest there as well [Big Grin]
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

Oh excellent, Leetah. I was looking at my buddy list just yesterday and wondering if you were going to join us. Glad to see you!

-Julie

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

For the Wrimos here.

http://kjablog.com/?p=3444

Productivity Tips for NaNoWriMo from Kevin Anderson

And our forum There

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

From James Maxey, a discussion on why to write fast, and some tips. It's an entire week of blog posts on the subject.

http://dragonprophet.blogspot.com/

Owasm
Member # 8501

RE: James Maxey on Writing Fast - I enjoyed reading those posts. Make sure you go all the way down to the start of the posts.

Thanks Genevive!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Time is a closing in.

Weapons charged and hot?

Or depending on SF or Fantasy

Weapons notched, loaded and pulled back and aimed?

Heresy
Member # 1629

Totally ready. Been fighting with myself through most of October to keep from starting early. I can't wait for November first. How about everyone else?

-Julie

genevive42
Member # 8714

Oh yeah, I have to start a new novel in a couple of days. Guess I'd better put my thinking cap on.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've added everyone who posted their NaNo name here. Make sure you let us know who you are so we can support each other.
Owasm
Member # 8501

I finished the projects that I thought I would be working on in November, so I've got my decks cleared for a fourth NaNo attempt. I've made the 50,000 words each time, so my goal this year is to finish the novel I just started. I'm only 6,500 words in and won't be counting those, so I'm shooting for 113,000 words in 30 days. It's a stretch, but I've popped over the 100K mark twice so far.

I'm on as Owasm and I know that I've already got Genevive on my buddy list from last year.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I plan to hit the 50k for NaNo, but I'm going to continue the pace until my novel is finished. I expect it to be in the 75-80k range so I'll be writing a bit into December. I'd love to pull off what Owasm is planning, but I don't know that that's within my typing ability. [Wink]
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, turned the burner on and set the pot to boil. Logged on to NNWM today and did the wink/nod that I'm in again. I've been at this since 2004 and never finish because i try not to prep first and always start from scratch Nov. 1st but usually get distracted or forced to work (LOL) that darn thing of making money to pay bill's is always getting in the way of my fame and fortune! Rats! [Smile]

I have a feeling I'm going to make it this year. Always a gosh darn devils temptation to start early or use old material to get a jump on day 1 but whats the point I'd only be cheating myself. Well, good luck to everyone. See you at the finish line. [Wink]

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm registered at NaNo with my usual moniker, wirelesslibrarian. First time for me, so I don't really know what I'm getting myself into. Hoping for guidance from some of you veterans.
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

@wireless

My primary trick is to start with an outline of some kind so you can concentrate on putting words to paper and less time thinking of what to write next. I've always had some kind of an outline ready to guide the story. It's nice to figure out a little worldbuilding as well, if you need it.

You've got a couple of days, use them wisely. [Smile]

walexander
Member # 9151

Just an opinion,

I realize everyone approaches nnwm with there own aspiration/goals on what they gain from the contest, but forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole original concept of NNWM was to let go of the all the prep, and it's function was to just go for it day one. If you do prep whats the difference between the contest and our everyday writing. I thought the original idea was not to worry about if you're going to write the next great novel, but just try to flex your writing muscles in a non stop fashion without any rewrite. To let your imagination flow and let it take you where it will, and keep going till the end of story, 50k or whatever you can achieve, and just be proud with that and leave the worry and stress of if its professional or 50k is reached at the door.

I thought the whole point was to challenge the average writer to try and achieve a difficult level of word count on one idea/one manuscript in this question - Can you in one month create one concept, one idea and reach 50k plus words by the end or at least that's what I thought its original idea was. Maybe it has become just another form of publicity/networking now. No harm in that i guess. Like I said I guess we all take from it our own personal goals. As long as you enjoy it and challenge yourself should be all that matters.

Please remember this is just an opinion. No need to get out the torches. Remember I have yet to achieve the 50k award so what ever you do don't follow my advice [Wink]

W.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I always saw it as a way to let go your inner editor. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a plan. Heck, if you want to write 10-5k short stories I still think that's valid. NaNo is entirely what you make of it. Pantsers will approach it differently than outliners. Just have fun and challenge yourself.

The first time I did it just to prove I could. This time I'm going in with serious intent to finish a manuscript that I will rework and complete in the spring. No matter what happens, we will all learn something.

Also, just an opinion.

wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie, so I obviously don't have a clue. Having some sort of plan does seem wise, though, and I don't think that THINKING about writing something qualifies as writing it. Heck, if that were true, I'd have shelves full of finished novels. I've never been an outliner, though. Guess that makes me a pantser, but I think I'm going to try and get something organized before I start typing away on Thursday. Thanks for the input!
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I used to be a pantser, now I'm a moderate outliner. I have the main points and the end figured out. I have a description of the story. And I know what my opening scene is. Part of me wanted to do a chapter and scene outline, but I didn't get to it in time. I've never used one before, I guess why start now?
Owasm
Member # 8501

Of my three novels written for NaNo, I've self-pubbed two of them. So for me it's more than just writing for fun, but writing to get something useful. However, the intent of NaNo, as has been said is to break down writing barriers so that you get enough words down on paper enough to justify it as a novel.

You get what you wish to put into it and that's the beauty of NaNo. Get your 50,000 words any way you wish. It's just that, for me, I like to spend my hours doing something useful, but that's because I can and I write fast. NaNo is a great way to push yourself that you just can't do on your own.

Heresy
Member # 1629

To me, it's partly about the idea of letting go of the inner editor and also trying to develop the habit of writing every day. Both have been incredibly successful.

I approach NaNo from the idea that I'm only competing with myself. The first time I did this, I wanted to hit 50k, and more, I wanted, for the first time ever, to finish a novel. I did that. It became a habit that I've spent the last year continuing.

I find that, if I don't have an outline, I get lost in the middle and eventually grind to a halt without finishing, so to try to pants my way through NaNo would be setting myself up for failure, and I don't think that's valuable. Using NaNo as a kick in the butt, to get myself really writing? That's the value for me.

That said, I do agree with those who are saying that it's what you put into it. I'd also add that it can be whatever you hope to get out of it. If you want to try a different process, do so. If you want to see what you come up with when you have no prior expectations, go for it. Those, and other approaches to NaNo, are all great as long as you're writing. I think that's the one important part, to write, to let the words loose.

-Heresy

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
For me Nano is about words not the concept. About keyboard jockeying. Preparation beforehand is a survival strategy. I think it still fits with the spirit of freedom and pantsing by the fly of your seat. Just because I have a destination in mind doesn't stop me from getting there while leaving the inner editor in the dust.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm telflonmail over at nanowrimo.org.

Wrote an outline in longhand due to Sandy.

Now that I have power will be revving up the laptop and ...

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wirelesslibrarian:
I'm a newbie, so I obviously don't have a clue. Having some sort of plan does seem wise, though, and I don't think that THINKING about writing something qualifies as writing it. Heck, if that were true, I'd have shelves full of finished novels. I've never been an outliner, though. Guess that makes me a pantser, but I think I'm going to try and get something organized before I start typing away on Thursday. Thanks for the input!

You're allowed to outline, map, etc. just don't write a word until November 1st 12:00 AM.

By the way, I'm in this two, my username there the same as here. Can't wait for midnight/ [Big Grin]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
12 more minutes before I get to start writing. I have basic chapter outlines for the whole story and detailed chapter outlines for my first five chapters. Hoping to get a chapter (about 2500 words) before I call it a night in a few hours. [Smile] wish me luck!
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

And done. Just kidding.
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up this morning, and my muse smacked me across the face and told me I'm writing something completely different for Nanowrimo.

*sighs and crumples carefully-prepared outline into garbage*

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Of course, yesterday my computer decided to crap out. Don't think there's data loss, but I have to take it to the shop. Fortunately, I have a netbook. Might be good to get out of the apartment and go more mobile than usual.

This morning before work, 546 words.

Heresy
Member # 1629

Rhaythe, don't garbage the outline. Save it for later, when you're done with this new idea. [Smile] There should always be another novel.

Happy NaNo everyone!!!

-Julie

Owasm
Member # 8501

A few twists and a few turns today as my writing took off like a scalded cat in a different direction. 6,130 today in about three or four hours.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Finished a prologue today, Started it in morning break, went back at lunch and redid parts--added description and some human senses and made what was the second paragraph into the last paragraph.

1030 words.

Would have been more but my wife needed some computer time for her crafts and I needed to finish a crit.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

A little over 1k today. Pretty good considering I was just working on it during breaks. I've been a little creepier than I meant the piece to be because I've been reading Space Eldrich and it's kinda affected my mind. I've found that a little bit of infodump can keep my fingers moving.
Heresy
Member # 1629

Owasm, LD, Pyre, nice work guys. Keep it up!

I managed 4755 yesterday before it was, well, midnight. Can't wait to get off work today and get going.

-Julie

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.