Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - January 13, 2013

Author Topic: Did You Write - January 13, 2013
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of the week again, time for the kick in the pants. The idea is that having somewhere to report progress will spur you on to make some. So I'm posing the question to all of us here. Did you write this week? As we have been reminded in the past, writing for the purposes of this thread can mean just about anything you want. You did some editing? Report it here. Outlining, pre-writing or any other kind of prep work? Sure, that counts too. And, of course, writing new work always counts.

I had a rather rough week. I hit wall with Unmasked, landing at a part that I thought I understood and had planned out only to find I was wrong and had made a fairly serious error in. I spent the whole week battling it, writing a couple thousand words that had to be thrown out. After a few false starts at fixing it, I finally got through yesterday. My total for the week is about 4.7k, but it still feels like victory because I'm back on track.

I had a couple of story ideas and made some notes for future projects, one of which is making a desperate grab for my attention, even though I know I'm nowhere near ready for writing it.

Other than that, just a couple of blog posts.

How about you? Did you write?

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, yes. Wildered is about 99% done (roughly 31k words so far) and the sequel is about 2% completed.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Revisions for my WIP (about 2,500 new words) and work on my non-fiction book (2,000 words). Too much football this weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I started out working on the first draft of the rewrite of MAGIC'S FOOL. Then revision notes from my Pitch Wars mentor arrived for FIRE AND EARTH. And they involve a lot of work over the next week to be in time for the next round. So, that's what I'm working on now. Yikes!

Also, several crits and two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A washout week. Friday and Saturday I was sick, and that washed out at least one day I might have written something. Missed work-that-pays, too...and, somehow, it's gotten busier-than-Christmas there, overtime every day except Sunday, even the days I missed.

But I'm over the sick, now---don't know what it was, except I threw up two nights straight. Probably my usual stomach trouble, probably not stomach flu or any other flu.

At any rate, I've decided to push on to the end of my current work (only a thousand or so words away, I think), then concentrate all my efforts on writing some song lyrics for that thing I've been mentioning on-and-off these past months that's finished except for the lyrics.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
Worked on my current novel and a short story. Not as much as I would have liked, but not bad either.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Being the dutiful son and editing/revising my 83yo father's ninth crime novel.

Obtained a copyright use permission from Lovecraft's heir.

Completing a last look/edit of my OCT and NOV novelettes.

Hope to return to my stories-in-progress next week (none appropriate for WOTF, however).

Still thinking we should have our own Best of Hatrack annual e-anthology.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by History:

Hope to return to my stories-in-progress next week (none appropriate for WOTF, however).

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

A few more months of too busy a schedule for me to start a Hatrack River anthology now. June or July is coming. I have been looking more closely at features for a workable business plan. One important point keeps coming up. To what degree will such a project have association with Orson Scott Card's Hatrack River Writers Workshop and what does due diligence require? What permissions? Perhaps best if there are no associations beyond inclusion in the anthology requires Hatrack River Workshop membership and participation.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
quote:

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

A few more months of too busy a schedule for me to start a Hatrack River anthology now. June or July is coming. I have been looking more closely at features for a workable business plan. One important point keeps coming up. To what degree will such a project have association with Orson Scott Card's Hatrack River Writers Workshop and what does due diligence require? What permissions? Perhaps best if there are no associations beyond inclusion in the anthology requires Hatrack River Workshop membership and participation.
I am pleased you remain interested in such a project, extrinsic. I have the greatest respect for not only your knowledge and expertise in the construction (and deconstruction) of wriiten narratives, but also your evident business/publishing acumen.

I have also envisioned this as a high standard/high quality vehicle by and for Hatrack participating members.

Where I may differ from your own and other members' previous conceptions for an annual Hatrack anthology is in the need for remuneration (at least initially). Exposure and honor in being judged by one's peers as producing one of "the best" stories from among our membership is reward enough--at least in my humble opinion.

Similarly, I feel an electronic edition is sufficient (at least initially).

Finally, if the membership decided to offer the anthology for sale, I would prefer donating the proceeds to charity.

Publication rights could then be non-exclusive (including for any artwork that artists may wish to contribute for similar exposure).

My, admittedly ignorant, perception is that the preceding may eliminate much of the complexity in "publishing" such an anthology.

Based on my age and life experience I can share: The simpler one can make this, the better (and the more likely chance of actually doing it)-- in my humble opinion.

I'd be willing to assist in such a project, but I lack the necessary expertise to lead it.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post 
I reworked my short story and submitted it Sunday.

In between I worked on another short story, but not feeling it too much.

Then I worked on my novel, trying to nail down the details for my outline of the rest of the book. Made a few minor changes to some items that were out of place when I shifted my time line backwards awhile ago.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
I am pleased you remain interested in such a project, extrinsic. I have the greatest respect for not only your knowledge and expertise in the construction (and deconstruction) of wriiten narratives, but also your evident business/publishing acumen.

I have also envisioned this as a high standard/high quality vehicle by and for Hatrack participating members.

Where I may differ from your own and other members' previous conceptions for an annual Hatrack anthology is in the need for remuneration (at least initially). Exposure and honor in being judged by one's peers as producing one of "the best" stories from among our membership is reward enough--at least in my humble opinion.

Similarly, I feel an electronic edition is sufficient (at least initially).

Finally, if the membership decided to offer the anthology for sale, I would prefer donating the proceeds to charity.

Publication rights could then be non-exclusive (including for any artwork that artists may wish to contribute for similar exposure).

My, admittedly ignorant, perception is that the preceding may eliminate much of the complexity in "publishing" such an anthology.

Based on my age and life experience I can share: The simpler one can make this, the better (and the more likely chance of actually doing it)-- in my humble opinion.

I'd be willing to assist in such a project, but I lack the necessary expertise to lead it.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

I'm inclined toward a simple, no-payment, no Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme, just publish first digital edition for perpetuity and leave all other rights and responsibilities to the writers. Time will tell though. Decisions and compromises galore await resolution.

[ January 16, 2013, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
easterabbit
Member # 9810

- posted      Profile for easterabbit           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is going to be in it?
Posts: 61 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Originally posted by easterabbit:
Who is going to be in it?

Any submiting Hatrack member probably. The best of Hatrack River Writers Workshop writers, best efforts thereof.
easterabbit
Member # 9810

- posted      Profile for easterabbit           Edit/Delete Post 
What about re-prints?

[ January 17, 2013, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: easterabbit ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Originally posted by easterabbit:
What about re-prints?

As long as the submitter owns copyright and acknowledges previous publications, I don't see why not. Express written use permission and publisher indemnity will be required for publication regardless.
History
Member # 9213

I believe an annual anthology of original unpublished stories is preferable.

I'd envisioned a showcase for the best stories written by members that the editorial staff believes have been "overlooked" by the existing markets. We do not need to promote stories that have already been discovered and published.

But, then, I am just one voice, and nothing has been decided or even initiated other than floating the idea.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I wrote.

On my Q2 story which is finished but needs a revision...possible shortening. It's in your range Dr. Bob [Smile] Actually, I have written stories that long before but for quiet a while.

Wrote another story that might be my Q3 story. It too needs a revising. But I may try sending it out to a couple of places before next quarter.

On two WIPs "Angel Kin" and "Stone Within".

Various posts and such.
three or four posts
Here

As far as I can recall that's it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Now concerning the anthology.

As any permissions we would need would probably depend on the title and/or if we list the forum in the book.

I think I would go either way with the published before or not. I think Dr. Bob has a point but at the same time we would know any published stories are good. Maybe it depends on where they are published--pro market with a large circulation vs a small publication that few people would see.

And we would have to decide on word count too.

But if we e-publish it along with POD wouldn't you need the digital copyright too or is that different?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

I'll post a proposed anthology business plan summary in a few days in the writing discussion forum and we can discuss the finer points there.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.