Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » word ticks

Author Topic: word ticks
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I thought we could discuss is what I call "word ticks" -- such as "ya know" among teenagers, and "what!" among gouty old English gentlemen. Words people say (often at the ends of their sentences) unconsciously and repeatedly. They may not know why they say them, and I'm not entirely sure about why either.

I know someone who tends to end every sentence with "and everything," and I submit that's another example of a "word tick."

I recently took a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training class, and after a while, I noticed that the instructor would say "out of it" over and over again, so I decided that it was his "word tick."

Word ticks can be useful (as long as they are used much less often than people use them normally--less is more in this case) to help you characterize your different characters' speech. They can be especially helpful if you want a character to be a little (remember, less is more) annoying--to the reader as well as to the other characters.

So, anyone notice any other "word ticks," either that you've heard other people say or that you've been accused of using yourself?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
"...and whatever."?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed I use "anyway" in conversation quite a bit. Anyway, I try not to use it when I'm writing, even if I'm writing dialog.

I can't say if anybody's ever noticed it...if they have, they haven't said so.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I'm reminded of a short passage in Robert Graves's I, Claudius or Claudius, the God---not sure which---which speaks of phrases some of the characters used. Of course the characters are also all historical figures, and I think Graves picked up a couple of them from historical sources.

The one I remember was the Emperor Augustus saying "as quick as boiled asparagus," which is a lift from a work purportedly by Seneca (and tacked on to the end of Claudius the God). I assume it's a translation from the reportedly Latinized Greek of the original---I don't have that text in front of me (and couldn't read it anyway.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
I know someone who tends to end every sentence with "and everything," and I submit that's another example of a "word tick."

I have a coworker who says "and everything" after every sentence. And now that I notice it, it drives me crazy. Before I picked up on it, didn't bother me. But now I notice it.

I think that is problem with word ticks in writing. After a little bit the reader will become annoyed with it. Just as I have with my coworker. And if you use it less often, or maybe just few times. It doesn't have the same "word tick" effect.

I remember reading a book and the author mentioned that one character noticed the word tick, though he never actually said it in dialogue. I spent the whole book wondering when I would see it, and how it was relevant to the character or the story.

I suppose the best use of word ticks would be subtle to the point that many readers might not notice, but it still becomes part of the character's voice.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Like. Inserted at various points in every sentence.

Drives me NUTS.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I know a guy---well, several people, actually---where every other word is the "F" word. I don't even think they know they're doing it...
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronald Reagan used to preface every other sentence wit the word 'well'. As in, "Well, I intend to balance the budget by conjuring money out of thin air," etc. A lot of people use that one. Also 'Well now,' is a popular variation.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Vera
Member # 10072

- posted      Profile for Melanie Vera   Email Melanie Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed a few like Freak and Yeppers.
Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a class mention that I use the phrase "you sit there" quite a bit. "You sit there, and you look for these things first," or "You sit there asking for extra credit while not getting the normal work done."

You sit there at your computer screen judging but it was a hard habit to break.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know until a co-worker pointed it out that I have a problem when I agree with someone to say, "Tell me about it." Up to then, I wasn't even aware of it. I told a good friend about it, and she said that was one of my most endearing qualities and was a part of my character that made me, me. LOL
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
"absolutely" instead of "yes" drives me crazy
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Vera
Member # 10072

- posted      Profile for Melanie Vera   Email Melanie Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
"What the Heck" another big one used
Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I know these word tick things as discourse markers, a form of interjection part of speech. They serve as verbal pauses to hold the speaking floor while gathering wool: thinking about what to say. They also may call attention to what's to come, emphasize, signal a change in topic or thought, signal hesitation, or represent an in-group dialectical convention. They may be nonsensical, have no meaning; they may have limited meaning, and perhaps have one meaning or convention in one region, a different meaning or convention in another region, or be meaningless in one region and be meaningful in another.

Uh is one of the most common discourse markers; meaning nothing, but signaling thought, hesitation, or a deliberate or unintentional verbal pause.

Uh-huh and huh-uh mean yes and no, respectively, in standard U.S. dialect usage, though um-huh and uh-uhm and other variations may be used in different regions.

Now is one discourse marker I encounter often in my editing work. It's used for emphasis, to call attention to a change in subject direction, as well as hesitance and wool gathering.

Now, on the other topic, backing up to your damage claim, did you mean your shoulder injury is included as part of your neck injury from the accident?

Right and all right serve similarly.

One that I find unique to written word is unconventional usage of alot or alright. They will elicit correction from prescriptive grammarians. I will mark them as unconventional but also consider them as signals of their users' writing discipline.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:
signals of their users' writing discipline
[Eek!]
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
While I would argue that "alot" is not a word, I'd also argue that "alright" has a different meaning than "all right."

If a person asks how a class did answering an essay question, there is a marked difference between "They were all right," and "They were alright." The first explains that all the students answered correctly while the second illustrates a lackluster performance.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
"Alot" is not a word according to Webster's; however, its frequent use in publications of all sorts may soon make it a word, according to precedent of etymology.

"All right" and "alright," on the other hand, are both in dictionaries and are identical in meaning, though "alright" may signal a variant nuance.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
I've noticed I use "anyway" in conversation quite a bit. Anyway, I try not to use it when I'm writing, even if I'm writing dialog.

I can't say if anybody's ever noticed it...if they have, they haven't said so.

It took me a while to get back to this but I do the same thing, especially in writing notes and posts.
And I also don't know if anyone notices.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by rcmann:
Ronald Reagan used to preface every other sentence wit the word 'well'. As in, "Well, I intend to balance the budget by conjuring money out of thin air," etc. A lot of people use that one. Also 'Well now,' is a popular variation.

Me too. Even though not quite like Reagan did and I can't conjure money from thin air like he did(no sarcasm there) but some times it seems like it's my second or third favorite word to use.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:

"All right" and "alright," on the other hand, are both in dictionaries and are identical in meaning, though "alright" may signal a variant nuance.

I like to use alright but my spellcheckers usually do not like it.
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, now I'm thinking about ticks I've given my characters without even think that was their function. I have a "well" user. I'll probably keep them as they provide some color, but I think as the narrator doesn't give them meaning you can drop them off. Like how a person's chewing probably doesn't get louder, but depending on the circumstance someone might not be able to think of anything else.

Wandering into speculative territory. I wonder if political correctness is creating more of it. For example, men are often encouraged to hedge their statements with "I believe/I think/In my opinion" as a way to soften possible aggressive appearance, but since the words mean nothing other than to soften the discussion, aren't those kind of word ticks?

I suppose there's more than one interpretation. "Uh" could be gathering wool or it might be just that the speaker likes the sound of it. Well, sounds like a good warm up for a sentence to me.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I have a character who pauses to gather his thoughts when he speaks and does not fill the space with an 'um', or an 'aah'. It means he often gets cut-off mid sentence. Consequently he is frustrated that people seem to not care about what he thinks.
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
"Basically" has become a tick across SoCal.

I use the initial "Well" as well.

My MC uses "I mean" and a trailing "is all" when he's trying to explain himself. I've attempted to learn him better but he just mumbles something incoherent.

1960s article on hippiespeak was called "Like, I mean, you know, right?"

I agree with enigmaticuser about how now everything is "just your opinion" as a form of enforced PC. [Frown]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a guy who says "turn 'round" at every pause. It's funny, the wife and I used to say if we obeyed, we'd be so dizzy we'd have fallen down three times during a conversation.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.