Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - July 1, 2013

Author Topic: Did You Write - July 1, 2013
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of the week again, time for the kick in the pants. The idea is that having somewhere to report progress will spur you on to make some. So I'm posing the question to all of us here. Did you write this week? As we have been reminded in the past, writing for the purposes of this thread can mean just about anything you want. You did some editing? Report it here. Outlining, pre-writing or any other kind of prep work? Sure, that counts too. And, of course, writing new work always counts.

I managed to finish my outline and review it this past week. I also turned around revisions for my now-published short story. And, in the biggest news, I'm done revisions for my novel Possession, which is set to publish in September. Let the ARC fun begin. [Smile]

There were also a lot of story thoughts flying around in my head, with many notes made on multiple projects. I won't list them all here. Add in a few blog posts and I'd call it a good week. Now to start Camp NaNo. [Smile]

That's it for me. How about you? Did you write?

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on completing Possession!

As for me, I've been working primarily on the second draft of MAGIC AND POWER. Also, some work on the query and synopsis for MAGE STORM. And two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished writing 2212 words for my first draft for Camp NaNo! I finished my plot treatment earlier this morning. I know already I'm going to have to go back and do lots of research on medieval England. For example, I have two characters sleeping in a barn loft. Did barns have lofts in the Middle Ages? I think I'm going to wait to do major research until I'm finished writing the rough draft. It might sidetrack me from the actual writing. :)
Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Aikin
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Plowing on through a first draft of a YA novel (which happens to be a floor-to-ceiling rewrite of an unpublished fantasy epic that I wrote 9 years ago). About halfway through. Writing 2,000 words a day, every day, but today I worked on outlining the 2nd half instead. Once all hell breaks loose, getting all of the characters in the right places at the right times -- not simple!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good week, a thousand words some days, slowing down to five hundred words a day towards the end. I think at fifty thousand words I'm going to stop, assess the story so far, do some editing, and see what I've got. (I've got a lot on the front end that amounts to development; I may use some material for flashbacks, but I need to find the beginning point.)

It's surprising I could keep production up, because it's been something of a trying week at work, and more so Sunday and Monday---my usual partner has been on vacation and I've had, let's face it, inadequate substitutes. Then that incident involving being put off the floor, that I mentioned a month or so ago, flared up again with a notice of suspension---I'd say more but it'd be libelous (but so is the document I received). It also meant I had to spend a good deal of writing time on grievance statements, probably about two thousand words altogether---something that's relatively easy, but no fun at all. (It's all "pending grievance resolution," so I'm still working.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Completed yet another scene (#6 of 8) I'll likely delete in my never ending WOTF Q4 novelette (now a novella at 20K) with two scenes to go. I might need to just give up and rework it as the first part of a novel.
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

I broke through a logjam on the plot for second book, and now things should sail through with minimal pain. About 20k words this week, but a fair amount of it was re-writing.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did write, though I got nowhere near what I wanted to accomplished. It has been a long day today, too, so I anticipate not finishing all I wanted tonight, either. it's because I'm finally in a place where I have to end the damned thing.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake T
Member # 9461

- posted      Profile for Blake T   Email Blake T         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing off an on over the past week, just random scenes from a novel that I want to develop. Just need to work on getting it in order and flushing out important parts of these scenes!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.