Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My First Query!...For an Agent

Author Topic: My First Query!...For an Agent
Brooke18
Member # 10220

- posted      Profile for Brooke18   Email Brooke18         Edit/Delete Post 
It's official! I have FINALLY decided to go the traditional publishing route. I sent out my first query to an agent yesterday. Now, I just have to wait 2-4 weeks for a response while also deciding who to query next.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my repetitive questions!

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! That's a big step!

My rule is, when I get a query/sub rejection, I'm not allowed to go to bed that night until I get it sent out to the next place. I don't ever want to let a sub rest. Keep plugging away at it!

But hopefully you'll be the lucky one who strikes gold with the first swing of the pick.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jerich100
Member # 10202

- posted      Profile for jerich100   Email jerich100         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a novel (forgive me for not keeping up to speed on all you professionals), you can submit to Tor books without any agent. Skip the middleman! Middle person?
Posts: 92 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend selling something first, then getting an agent---but I'm so old fashioned that I still send out paper manuscripts and so out of the loop that all I ever get are form rejections. Besides, I haven't finished a novel since the early 2000s. What is the practice now?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That's a big step.

Don't wait for the response. Research more agents. Very, very few agents request or expect exclusive queries (unlike publishers, like TOR, who will expect to tie up your submission for MONTHS). Most agents actually expect you to be querying other agents.

I generally send out queries in batches of threes. You do want to have enough time to figure out if your query is working and revise it, if necessary.

BTW, you can put your whole query in F&F for Books for helpful suggestions.

Also, look into pitch contests. Query Kombat is due to start next week.

I used to have a link to a blog that kept track of pitch contests. I'll see if I can find it.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Found the link, though it doesn't look like it's been updated recently.

http://meredithraemusings.blogspot.com/p/contest-circuit.html

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 10257

- posted      Profile for Mark           Edit/Delete Post 
That is wonderful. Congratulations! I hope you break the norm and land your fish with your first letter.

A few years ago I had decided (after getting good advice) to do the same. Put together a spreadsheet. Down the side it listed each story I was working on. Across the top it listed all the potentials buyers, each with a box for "submitted" and "reply."

The best advice I got was, "Don't get discouraged." I didn't listen. After a year of tabulating rejections, really discouraged and took up a new hobby. I'm back now.

Hang in there, keep writing and keep submitting, and DON'T let the discouragement get you down!

Mark

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.