Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New (or renewed?) forum function

Author Topic: New (or renewed?) forum function
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The webmaster, on request, has enabled an option that was available at one time and is now back--hopefully with better functionality.

Forum participants used to receive emails any time someone posted a reply to a topic that participant had created. I suspect the function was removed because it became overwhelming and generated complaints.

What you do now, however, is select the option with a "radio button" (which, I would think, can be de-selected later, if desired).

WARNING! I just checked, and it does not appear that the option can be de-selected. So be very sure you want to receive such email notifications.

You have to scroll down the page when you use the Full Reply form to reply to a topic (Quick Reply doesn't work) or when you create a New Topic. The Email Notification option is the top option.

I'm putting this in the Open Discussion area in hopes that it will be more easily noticed, but I will later move it to the "Please Read Here First" area, where any responses to this topic will be removed. Hope that works out okay.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you reply to the topic a second time, does it then let you uncheck the box?
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. It makes sense that it would. Anyone want to experiment with a topic they'd actually be willing to receive email notifications on?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm up for trying.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, under "my profile" is an Edit Topic Notifications page. That is a possibility for changing and for stopping e-mail notifications and options.

[ June 21, 2015, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Didn't remember about that, extrinsic. Thanks!
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Also, I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out, Phil.

Unless I create a second (non-administrative) account for myself, I really don't know how the forum works for you all.

Though creating such an account might not be a bad idea....

[Smile]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you tick the box for e-mail notifications in a thread you started you will get an e-mail every time someone replies.

This e-mail will tell you the forum name, the thread name and the username of the person commenting. There is also a link to the thread and a link to change the notification settings; just in case you got 30,000 replies I suppose.

Also, if you use the full reply form to post a reply to someone's comments in the thread you started, you can un-check the notification box and you won't get any more e-mails.

I hope that's clearer than mud.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearer than crystal.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scot
Member # 10427

- posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for running the test cases, Phil!
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thank you, Phil. That's actually very helpful.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.