Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Serendipitous

Author Topic: Serendipitous
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Composed a question for the forum. The process of composition resulted in several unexpected answers. So now no question to ask. Serendipitous.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, extrinsic. That happens more often than we notice, I think.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Serendipity is looking in the hay stack for the needle and finding the farmer's daughter......
Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Failte200
Member # 10886

- posted      Profile for Failte200           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, "serendipity" in writing comes from introducing plot elements without knowing why, and then they become Major Drivers all on their own.

A scene from current fic: a teenage boy is having a spiritual moment while admiring a big redwood tree on a mountain bike trail, and out of nowhere steps this grungy old man, staring at him. He never says anything, just stares for awhile. Then he nods towards the tree, gives the boy a salute, and disappears into the ferns again.

I couldn't resist putting that scene in, and I had no idea why at the time. It just seemed like something that SHOULD happen. Salute Man, as I call him, may not even ever show up again. But then I realized a connection he might have with another character - a char who was NEEDING a connection, but I hadn't decided who/how yet - and BAM: Major Plot Driver. Lots of loose ends just fell into place. The scene was perfect, including his appearance and the tree and the salute. How did that happen?

Serendipitous indeed.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I call that working with your subconscious which often knows the story better than you do.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.