Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » First Sentence Lab (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Sentence Lab
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
We start in mid-fight, and that action **continues; and goes badly for us, which precipitates everything that follows. Motivations remain hidden for some time (since none of the initial POV characters know what's going on) but yes, eventually we learn how we got into this fix.

**rather, appears to: some years after writing it, I realised the scene was actually a flashback. But readers will never notice, nor need to.

I dunno about the dude and his whaling trip either. I've read all of Melville's sea stories except this'un, which somehow turned me off... one day I got a wild hair to rewrite it, and this was what came out. Never got any further, perhaps because that would require reading the bloody novel. [Razz]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I got as far as page 30. I really have no hankering to learn all the intricacies of whaling just at this moment.

I'm still concerned about this opening; there is no context and hence nothing is at stake to keep the reader interested. Quite apart from the fact we don't know anything about anyone. How can we become invested in the character?

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting as far as the preaching, but it was too heavy for me at the time & I've never tried again.

I've heard that you can get through it if you read every other chapter, and I've also been told by a friend that it is actually a very funny (as in full of humor and satire and irony) book.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that the start was as dry and boring as the Simpson Desert. That being said, I know of two great lines from the book:

"He tasks me. He tasks me--and I shall have him."

"From Hell's heart I stab at thee. For hates sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

I just might speed-read through the book and see if I can find some more like these. Also, the two phrases may sound familiar to some people.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course they used most of those same lines in "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Which makes me wonder about the allegedly super-high intelligence of Khan that he would use those words and not seem to "get" the irony. Maybe he didn't get to the end of the book either?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Droll, kdw. Very droll.

Phil.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.