Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » It versus that (as pronouns)

Author Topic: It versus that (as pronouns)
EmmaSohan
Member # 10917

- posted      Profile for EmmaSohan   Email EmmaSohan         Edit/Delete Post 
It and that that can function as pronouns. They seem nearly indistinguishable.

I wasn't expecting it.
I wasn't expecting that.

I want to say that it is better for referring to things, like spoons or buildings. And that is better for more abstract things, like events or situations.

Ella ran a stop sign. That didn't work out well.
Ella ran a stop sign. It was partly hidden by bushes.

Has anyone heard that rule? Does anyone follow it? Even if unconsciously? I don't know how much I can claim. It can't be too hard to check your own writing?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thing to consider.

In your first example, "it" seems to refer to a more general kind of thing, whereas "that" seems (to me, at least) to be more specific - and perhaps to indicate that something was expected, just not that specific something. In the "it" version, there may not have been anything expected at all.

In you second example, "that" refers more to the action of the previous sentence, but "it" refers to the object of the previous sentence.

They are sort of like apples and oranges.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that "I wasn't expecting it," is specific to the noun it refers to, while using "that" implies that the noun is both stronger and probably not a good surprise.

But it also seems that "I wasn't expecting rain," (or whatever) is stronger and more concise, because both "it" and "that" require introduction of the subject first.

One of the last editing passes I make is to do a search for filter-words like thought, saw, etc. I also include things I tend to overuse, including, "that" and "it."

I find that I can often combine and compress, like saying, "The rain beating the crops down was unexpected, instead of first telling the reader it was happening and then telling them "it" was unexpected.

But that's just me, and I'm hardly setting the world on fire. Breaking the Pattern has been out for five days, is free, and has had a total of thirty downloads.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you posted about Breaking the Pattern in the Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews section, Jay?

I don't recall seeing anything about it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really done any promotion for it.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Greenstein:

But that's just me, and I'm hardly setting the world on fire. Breaking the Pattern has been out for five days, is free, and has had a total of thirty downloads.

Synopsis is not in my wheelhouse, but the cover is delightfully clever.
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.