Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Inferno, redone

Author Topic: Inferno, redone
Jenn
Member # 7798

- posted      Profile for Jenn   Email Jenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Novel, 90,000 words, intro starts in the real world...
Does it have any pull? (I know it's not word perfect at this stage.)

In the morning Danny's Dad had been alive, bending into a suds bucket washing the old blue car.
Danny had come out of the house barefoot, board shorts flapping. The air smelt thin and rank, of cuttlefish and kelp. Bamboo windchimes clattered under the carport.
'Are you ready?'
'Yeah, Dad.'
His father threw the sponge into the bucket and wiped his hands. 'Not going to wear shoes?'
Danny said, 'We'll be on sand all day.' He wondered later: if he had just worn shoes, would his father still be okay?

Posts: 0 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a hook here; I certainly want to know why Danny's Dad has snuffed it.

The only thing that threw me a little was the 'bending into a suds bucket'. Maybe this could be reworded, I imagined him literally trying to climb into the bucket for a moment.
But then I am a little too literal-minded sometimes, so if no one else comments please ignore.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It works for me.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems a little strange for me that you are starting out in past perfect tense, but I suppose it works OK. You move to past tense after the second sentence.. maybe take a look over your tense selection.
Dad wouldn't be capitalized and "smelt" sticks out as a bit archaic. Ditto on the bending over the bucket.

Reads fine otherwise...

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenn
Member # 7798

Thanks for the useful comments, all very helpful...
Posts: 0 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hate this, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenn
Member # 7798

If I'm that bored I generally don't post a reply. But thanks...
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly bored by it, more puzzled, but in a way that doesn't make me want to solve it, which is odd. I mean, I know that I've liked openings that were overtly similar to this, with some interesting milieu references in the background surrounding a more overt dramatic situation...but this one is different somehow.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.