Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Intelligence Quotient (working title)

Author Topic: Intelligence Quotient (working title)
Ruskin
Member # 5128

- posted      Profile for Ruskin   Email Ruskin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 in the "prologue" of a manuscript I've started work on. It's a sci-fi piece that I've been tossing around in my mind for awhile. Anyway, the prologue is in the form of an e-mail reply from a scientist's direct superior, and starts with the original e-mail. The whole prologue isn't longer than a page or so, so if you'd like me to e-mail you the whole thing for a critique just tell me; I don't have anything beyond the prologue ready for critiquing though. Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions/opinions!

To: Dr. Alfonse Floyd
Subject: Re: A Death in the Test

Original E-mail Message from Dr. Alfonse Floyd

> Doctor,
>
> There was a death in the last cycle of the test. One of the examinees who
> entered the test was killed by a gang of the Morlock-class inhabitants
> of Atlantis. The subject was not one of our noteworthy examinees, just
> an average intellect that we inserted for observation.

[Edit: I removed the e-mail addresses from the text. In the future I or any publisher who picks me up might buy the domain name, but for now that's the safest way to keep anything from getting registered preemptively.]

[This message has been edited by Ruskin (edited March 08, 2007).]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no stylistic complaints.

My reaction when I got to Morlocks and Atlantis is -- what, is this the Weekly World News? This is too silly.

So what do you do about this reaction? If you mean for it to be silly, play it up; and if not, well, maybe one possibility is to use other terms, possibly made-up ones, instead of Morlocks and Atlantis. There are probably other ways to avoid the "silly" reaction I gave.

Or maybe it's just me.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

My eventual intent in the story with "Morlocks" and "Atlantis" is that first, these are the terms the scientists use for elements of the test, like nicknames. The project is known as Atlantis because the test takes place in a deep sea bio-dome, so the scientists who developed the project drew a parallel with the sunken city of Atlantis.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If other readers react as I did (we shall see), it's a problem *even if there's a great explanation for these terms* later in the story.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Plausibility point - I don't think they'd give such an obvious subject line for the message. "Unfortunate situation..." or some other euphemism seems more likely.

Can you situate us a bit more within the context of the email? "..last cycle of the test on Planet X. (or in the biodome...or wherever we are.) And where in time are we? Does a test cycle last a week, month, day, minute? Did this happen yesterday, last week, last year?

How far in the future are you headed? I worry that the @atlantis-test.com domain name would be problematic. I'm thinking of the issues created when Tommy Tutone sang his infamous song about Jenny's phone number, causing those who had that phone number to get thousands of calls. If you're going out a bit into the future, you can probably be more inventive/crazy with the email addresses. Use a different character for the break between person name and domain name. Don't use currently accepted .com, .net, .org, etc. - make something else up, etc. I am probably being over-sensitive, but just wanted to point out a concern.

Interesting enough to keep me reading, definitely!

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

I'll have to think of something for the domain name. For critiquing purposes I may mask any domain name from the test, or make it a .gov. The problems caused by Tommy Tutone's song are somewhat different from domain-related problems, but there are a few. Also I agree that I need to explain with more detail the nature of these test cycles. I'll think of a new subject too.

The responses so far make me pretty happy though; these are some very easy fixes, and as long as the flow of the narrative has no noticeable flaws and there's a good hook, I feel I'm off to a strong start. Thanks you two!

Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but the email doesn't ring true as an actual email.

The salutation of 'Doctor' seems very non-descript. I would expect a name if a salutation is used like "Dr. Floyd,". Or you could not include a salutation at all.

I agree with KayTi, a subject line of, "Unfortunate incident" seems more likely an email title, and usually when I'm reading a reply to an email, the reply is on top, not the original. It may throw off a lot of readers to see them flipped.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The email doesn't work for me for several reasons:

1) I send sensitive emails all the and my "Re:" descriptions are not so obvious because I don't know where the email might get intercepted or who might look at my receipent's email on his computer screen. Something that says "death" is bound to get attention.

2) The relationship was too formal - i.e. Doctor. Either he's "Bob" or if he's a superior he's "Dr. Stern."

3) What test? HOw many cycles have there been? The Drs know but no way for me to.

4) The names - Morlock and Atlantis - are too corney and overused.

5) I don't know what the "examinees" are or the "Morlock class inhabitants" are.

It would be clearer/ more beleivable to me if the email was:

"Test subject #4546 lost. Gang #876 suspected."

Then jumping into someone's POV to explain that to me.

With just the email, I wouldn't read on.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

Okay, I made some corrections, trying to address the problems you guys brought to me. It's kind of tricky with this manuscript since half of the first 13 consists of the standard e-mail openings and formal greetings, but I've applied as much of an explanation as I could to the rest of the e-mail as well as the four lines you guys can actually see. I've gotten opinions from a couple friends on how the rest of the e-mail looks but I'm curious what you might think; if anyone's interested in critiquing the whole prologue after seeing the touched-up version of the first 13, please tell. Also, I finished chapter 1 last night! I'm clocking in at about 700 words a day so far which isn't bad considering all the other work I do in a day. Anyway, without further ado:

To: Dr. Alfonse Floyd
Subject: Re: Anomalies in the Test

Original Message from Dr. Alfonse Floyd:

> Dr. Stern,
>
> There was a death in month 114 of the test cycle. One of the examinees
> was beaten to death by a gang of the lower-class inhabitants of the
> city. I don’t know what’s going on in that biodome, doctor. The subject
> was no celebrity, just an average individual that we inserted for observation.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In the second version, it sounds like the murder victim was a spy. Is this what you intended?

And "average individual" is redundant when it follows "The subject was no celebrity".

It's got a hook, though.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 10, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

I intend to do a lot with the story that I couldn't possibly find the space for in the first 13. Terrorism, social collapse, and of course the overlying appeal of the test itself...I'm glad to know that initial hook exists though. And I'm interested that you saw an implication that the dead guy was a spy; I didn't intend to do anything with that, but it would add a considerable amount of motivation to certain characters in the story.
Amciel
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for Amciel   Email Amciel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a feeling that this e-mail is quite urgent-- you might cut out the formal, conversational feel of the message. Don't end a scentance with ", doctor." The subject is better but make it sound more urgent, maybe "Anomolies in Test".

Excellent hook! Definately a story I would love to read.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents: I didn't get the feeling that the victim was a spy, but the new wording does kind of make it sound like he wasn't an average joe after all--though the testers obviously didn't know it.
Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks promising!

I'll make you a deal. As soon as I get far enough in my short story to take you up on your offer, I'll then be in a place to read someone else's work for a bit and would love to read more. Hopefully that will be in the next week, I'll let you know.

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I find the whole email thing as an opener to a sci-fi novel sort of weird.

Maybe you are too young to realize how quickly computer technology evolves... those of us pushing 50 realize that what is standard format today will be a thing of the past in another few years. I cannot suspend my disbelief when you use email in this format and try to pass it off as a futuristic sci-fi story. (If it's an alternative world set in our current technological era, you'd better establish that in the first paragraph through some device, like mentioning Al Gore as president.)

I remember when email addresses had numbers only, and the internet was a two-layered strata affair that few businesses accessed. Heck, I remember when the salesman told me that the 8088 I was checking out, came with a 40-meg hard drive that was so large "you'll never need anything bigger."

If you want me to believe you have any skill in creating a futuristic world, don't start off with a technology that probably won't exist in it's current format in several years. You are already behind the curve of modern technology. As it is, most email users now use HTML format, which means we never see the >> at the beginning of a forwarded email anymore.

Beyond the plausibility of this as futuristic, I'm just not hooked. No action. No characters. No hook.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

KayTi, I thought of offering you a critique trade (I do yours, you do mine) but I worried that it might not be fair to you, since you're writing a short story and I a novel. I found myself hoping you'd make the offer of your own accord.

Elan, the story establishes itself very quickly that this is not a highly futuristic world; the technology I use in my story is not technology that's too advanced to build today, it's just too -expensive- to build without good reason.

As to your debates about e-mail, I've been a computer whiz for ten years and learning since I was younger and my father got us our first C64. I seem to remember a little something called the Y2K bug where they didn't bother preparing their Fortran and Pascal code for the millennium because they didn't think the two would even exist that long. I can say with some measure of confidence that e-mail will still exist in approximately fifty years. Also, I generated the e-mail prologue by sending an e-mail from my Gmail account to my Horde mail hosted through my website, and it inserted the > brackets automatically. So those brackets do still get entered in through professional software. Even with how quickly technology advances, never underestimate how -slowly- it advances in other areas; especially the ones largely connected with the billions of consumers that own computers now and did not in the days of the 8088 and the C64.

I do confess that it feels weird presenting a prologue in the form of an e-mail. I've read prologues that were letters or journal entries, so I thought to modernize that concept. Besides, it was either that and a strong hook or nothing and a much poorer hook.

Gideon
Member # 5031

- posted      Profile for Gideon   Email Gideon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second version much better. If you still wish to use the terms Morlock and Atlantis then work them in later with a short explanation. Overall, it has a good hook and I'd read more. The use of the email format is fine with me if it isn't used too often and the emails aren't too long. I think a prologue has to be either short or very intense. This email isn't all that intense so I recommend keeping it short.
Good Luck

Gideon

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

Another funny point I noticed just last night: I started reading OSC's Shadow of the Hegemon and his trademark practice of opening each chapter with some conversation between two characters was adapted to be in e-mail format. If that book hit the bestseller list, I figure it can't be -that- bad of a writing device.

And yes, I'm definitely still using Atlantis in the story, but I might drop the Morlocks from the story.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.