Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » working title: Dreamer

Author Topic: working title: Dreamer
sleepn247
Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for sleepn247   Email sleepn247         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm new here. I am currently in the beginning stages of my first novel attempt (about 2500 words so far). Here is the first 13 lines, feedback welcome!

-------
Meister brushed the crumbs off his shirt with a light blue handkerchief he kept neatly folded in his back pocket. He watched an ant find a crumb and struggle back toward a crevice in the pavement. One ordinary worker ant.

Ordinary.

Meister wondered what that was like. He had never had--never been given--that chance. Turns out when you are a genius, people either love you or hate you. Meister got much more of the latter.

His shoulders shook for a moment, a rare moment of vulnerability. Then he got up and adjusted his suit jacket. With a wistful smile, he crushed the ant beneath his shoe, grinding his foot as he turned curtly, and walked back to work.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 04, 2007).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack.

My take:

quote:

Meister brushed the crumbs off his shirt with a light blue handkerchief he kept neatly folded in his back pocket. He watched an ant find a crumb and struggle back toward a crevice in the pavement. One ordinary worker ant. Why do I care about an ant? Why do I care about Meister?

Ordinary.The protagonist, the ant, the narrarator, and the reader are bored.

Meister wondered what that was like. He had never had--never been given--that chance. Turns out when you are a genius, people either love you or hate you. Meister got much more of the latter. I'm still reading because I am patient, not interested.

His shoulders shook for a moment, a rare moment of vulnerability. [What's this all about?] Then he got up and adjusted his suit jacket. With a wistful smile, he crushed the ant beneath his shoe, grinding his foot as he turned curtly, and walked back to work. So, you chose to tell us about his break time?

<i>To hell with ordinary.</i> <---What is this? Is he telepathic?

There is nothing happening--or even threatening to happen.

Meister is a hated genuis. So what? Is he an evil genius? Is he working on a diabolical plan to import billions of Evil Robot Monkeys?

Is he a good super genius that has recently invented a method of energy-efficient FTL (Faster-Than-Light) travel, while he developed a cure for cancer?

By the way, what time is the story set in? What planet is it on?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 03, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. I really get the relevance of the worker ant and I like the idea of it.

There are a couple of things I want to mention though:

- The description of the handkerchief seems out of place. It doesn't seem neccessary to have it.

- I think there are too many actions in the last paragraph. The "rare moment of vulnerabilty" throws me off. It seems you are trying to paint a picture of a man who is a genius, but feels bitter about that. It doesn't bring the story forward to have that "moment". It would be better without it.

That's my thoughts on it. I do like it so far. The name Meister sucked me right in and made me want to know more. Good choice!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! Well-written.

Nits:
He had never had -- never been given -- that chance. This sentence feels awkward, maybe just from use of double dash, which presumably in print would be an em-dash (the long dash.) It just made me stumble, though. How about commas instead? Or single dash surrounded on either side w/spaces? "He had never had - never been given - that chance."

I suspect I'm tinkering with some well accepted Rule of Editing here, so I will fully acknowledge I have no idea what the Correct Way of Doing Things is, but just know that I tripped there.

I thought the rare moment of vulnerability was a good insight, but the shoulders shook? Over an ordinary worker ant? I found that a bit much.

My big point, though, as Babbler said, is I'm just not sure why I care yet. In this passage I'm getting the opinion that Meister has a chip on his shoulder and might be evil...crushing the ant and all. One challenge is that as a reader, I don't identify particularly well w/evil MCs (hence my continual jokes about the murder and mayhem that seems to flow in some hatrack posts - these evil robot monkeys, <shudder> - they're killers!)

I posted this link for someone else just yesterday...I'm a bit of a broken record but I found this OSC article really enlightening about beginnings: http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1998-10-29.shtml

He goes through four different possible starts to the Ender's Shadow book, and it's a really interesting evolution to see as well as see the author's commentary on what he was trying to do and why each subsequent approach got him closer, until he was finally there. It was a huge eye-opener for me, hence I continue to share it diabolically with anyone who lets me post to their threads.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel hooked. Granted, a novel is allowed to take a little longer, but I don't feel any connection to the character or the story with what I've been given.

I can't find any conflict, emotion or pressing questions, etc. to make me care about any of it. To do so, show us is humanity instead of his cruelty. Show us what decision he's struggling with.

His shoulders shook. We're not sure what that means. Is he sobbing. At any rate, you tell us it is rare. Great! He's experiencing something new (or rare). What is it? What made him experience this just now? What's going through his head that makes this happen?

Crushing an ant, I don't care about. If he takes the ant home and tries to make it into a super-genius too, I might care about that. Lots of people crush ants. This would only be interesting if he never ever ever crushed an ant--but did this time. Show us that, and show us why, and then we're interested.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the ant relates to Meister too, it works well. A couple of points though.

Its been said before I think but unless where he keeps the handkerchief is relevent to the story, you don't need to say where he keeps it, or do so perhaps later if it is relevent.

He had never had--never been given--that chance.

This needs rewording. There are too many hads there for me (for some reason, I hate the word 'had'). And maybe just go for:

when you are a genius, people either love you or hate you.

It sounds much better without the 'turns out'.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack.

I liked it. Most of what I have are nits.

I really liked how Meister's personlity was brought out by the first few lines. I know from the first three sentances that he's a bit compulsive ("light blue kandkerchief"), meticulous ("neatly folded"), and a bit smug and arrogant (one ordinary worker ant."

What was jarring was the next 6 sentances. I didn't believe he'd be thinking this. There is a potential POV issue. Would he think of it as a "rare moment of vulnerabilty." Also, his actions show me what these lines tell me.

I think you can cut everything from "Ordinary" to ". . .vulnerability." and strengthen it. Some of the adverbs and adjectives could be cut too. You don't need the italics, but this is, in part, a style issue. It's his POV so I know it's an internal thought without the italics.

So . . without the middle it reads:

quote:

Meister brushed the crumbs off his shirt with a light blue handkerchief he kept neatly folded in his back pocket. He watched an ant find a crumb and struggle back toward a crevice in the pavement. One ordinary worker ant.

He got up and adjusted his suit jacket. With a smile, he crushed the ant beneath his shoe, grinding his foot as he turned, and walked back to work.

To hell with ordinary.

BTW - you need to use [ ] and not < > to get the html tags to work.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Although the ant illustrates something about Meister's character, it doesn't provide a reason for me to want to read further. I would suggest something that reveals Meister's character *and* makes the reader curious to go on. Possibly it's what's about to happen next, that would make a good start.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepn247
Member # 5312

Thanks for your replies, all.

It's interesting to me that Meister came across as being evil. I didn't necessarily want to portray that, per se, only that he has some violent tendencies. As for the handkerchief, shaking shoulders, etc and all that, I wanted to portray a sense of obsessiveness, cleanliness, and repression of emotions.

But seeing what kind of impression it gave people, I realized I'm going to need to go back to the drawing board. I'll have something again later.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepn247
Member # 5312

I decided to go back in time. I hope maybe this might introduce Meister more effectively, why being ordinary should have meaning for him.

Take 2------------------

Meister woke up still mad. Sure, he got into a fight, but Winter started it. It was unfair, the way mom yelled at him; thirteen year old boys fight all the time. He had been so angry last night he wished she were dead. Then he dreamed about it.

“Morning, sweetie,” Mom greeted him when he came down.

Meister grunted, trying to stay angry, but failing. She had made her special pancakes--the ones he loved--and they made him forget all about the dream he had. By the time he left for school, he was cheerful, “Bye mom, love you.”

“Love you too,” she smiled.

After lunch period, principal Festus called him in. He saw dad with tears running down his face. Mom's gone, he said.

Just like my dream. Oh my God it’s my fault.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty good, I think. The conflict is clear.

Problem that distracted me: who's Winter?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Again most of what I have are nits. Please feel free to reject all the grammer comments because I'm not always the best person to point them out but they are ones that felt and looked wrong to me.

Since Meister's waking up doesn't matter to the story you might want to change it to: "The next morning Meister was still mad at his mother" so you don't have people rolling thier eyes at the waking up reference.

"Meister grunted, trying to stay angry, but failing." Failing should be "failed" I think. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Failing sounded off.

"'I love you too,' she smiled" is not correct. She can't smile a sentance. It should be: "I love you too." She smiled.

I was confused about some of the people too. Just tell me Winter is his brother. Principal should probably be capitalized because it's his title.

He saw dad. . . is ambiguous. I assume you mean Meister saw his father but right now Festus is seeing "Dad."

"Mom's gone," he said. Should probably be a new paragraph and set off with quotes.

We aren't really in Meister's head so I might suggest telline me who is thinking "Just like my dream. Oh my God, it's my fault."

Clean up the mechanical stuff and you have me hooked.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited April 12, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, I like it. I agree with briggs in that I'd like to know who Winter is. However, I also agree with kings_falcon on a couple of points:
  • "Meister grunted, trying to stay angry, but failing." Failing should be "failed" I'd go as far as: Meister grunted. He tried, unsuccessfully, to cling to anger.
  • "I love you too," she smiled. is not correct. I have a little bit of a different take on it, though: She smiled and the last of Meister's resistance melted. "I love you, too," she said.
  • He saw dad. . . I didn't think it was Festus seeing his dad, but it threw me a little, rhythmically.

Is Meister his first or last name? Because that's a horrible first name for a kid to have. And if it's his last name, would he really think of himself as "Meister"?.

quote:

After lunch [needed?-->period], principal Festus called him in. [Meister] saw [his] dad with tears running down his face. ["]Mom's gone["], he said.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 12, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Hunter
    Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
    This reads a little too breezy to me, like everything happens in flashes. Dreams Mom dead-Sees Mom-Smiles-Goes to school-Mom's dead. I don't have any connection to these characters, but tragedy's happened, and I don't have any emotional response to it. Like others wrote, I don't know who Winter is, but I don't have any sense of Meister or his mom either. Maybe I'm just a slow storyteller, but if I wrote this, it would probably take the whole first chapter to get to: Mom's dead.

I know we gotta pack a lot into the first 13 to hook an agent or an editor, but this feels too quick. Others seemed to have liked it, so I may just be odd.

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited April 13, 2007).]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    darklight
    Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
    Don't mean to be a pain and I apologise for putting this here though it seemed the most relevant place. Falcon said: "'I love you too,' she smiled" is not correct. She can't smile a sentance.

Yes, I agree with you absolutely, but I read a similar sentance in a book last night, so although it is wrong, its obvioulsy acceptable.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Scorpio
    Member # 5355

- posted      Profile for Scorpio   Email Scorpio         Edit/Delete Post 
    EDIT: I'm sorry, this was in response to your first post.

My quick 2 cents;

My immediate impression is that the character is egotistical and self-pitying. Immediately I have an impression of the main character which I think is going to structure the whole story. It's going to be told from the point of view of this man, and so his nature will affect it heavily. If that impression of the character is correct and that was your intent, then fine. But be wary, I do not like this character from the start, and immediately wish it was the Ant that was squashing Him.

Scorpio

[This message has been edited by Scorpio (edited April 14, 2007).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.