Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Vessel - chapter 4

Author Topic: The Vessel - chapter 4
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first thirteen of chapter four of the Vessel. It's from Liam Freedman's POV and this time in first person.

---------------------------------------------------------

I’d killed Haldhiem that morning. I assumed he was just punk that got in someone’s way; there are plenty of them around. Of course, I know now he worked for Philips.

I put one blast through his head and that was it, he was dead. I left his body hidden in a copse of trees. A corpse in a copse – that’s funny.

He wasn’t by any means the first man I’d killed. I don’t have enough toes and fingers to count them on. Few stay with me; I guess I don’t have much of a conscience. But two of them haunt me always. I don’t remember killing the first, but I remember why I did it. The other… that’s when my life changed into something I no longer recognise.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CassandraRose526
Member # 5712

- posted      Profile for CassandraRose526   Email CassandraRose526         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the use of first-person POV; it puts you in the Haldhiem's head. The corpse in a copse line was very effective; it made me laugh. I'd continue reading.

quote:
I killed Haldhiem that morning. I assumed he was just [a]punk that got in someone’s way; there are plenty of them around. Of course, I know now he worked for Philips.

I put one blast through his head and that was it, he was dead. I left his body hidden[This part "I left his body hidden" seems passive; perhaps the line would be more effective if you say something like: "I threw his body"] in a copse of trees. A corpse in a copse – that’s funny.

He wasn’t by any means the first man I’d killed. I don’t have enough toes and fingers to count them on[Take out the on]. Few stay with me;[Few what? People or the people he murdered?] I guess I don’t have much of a conscience. But two of them haunt me always. I don’t remember killing the first, but I remember why I did it.<--Why? The use of intrigue is good here, so long as we learn later in the story why he killed the person.] The other… that’s when my life changed into something I no longer recognise.<--This sentence needs to be very effective; it's the hook; the 'into something I no longer recognize' takes away from it, perhaps you should consider rewording it]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this first 13 is very effective. The comments you've gotten so far seem to say what needs to be said.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
That last sentence is a great hook. It leads to the expectation that it will be expanded and explained. Since these are the first 13 of a chapter, perhaps you've already explained.

It might be enough that the character had a reason for that first killing, but the reason doesn't matter now. That would be a way of saying 'it gets easier the more you do it.'

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Corpse in a copse is good. It gives me insight into the character's head, and the twisted humor is a nice touch, too. It says to me that killing means little to this guy. (Which means you don't need to repeat it later. We get it.)

I like the introduction enough that I would turn the page. However, I feel the language could be tightened up. "By any means" feels extraneous, like it's bloating the sentence.

Currently when I edit, I set a goal of killing 10% of my manuscript. You might want to try something like that on this opening and see how you like the changes.

(Maybe he grew up playing copse and robbers.)

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.