Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Keepers (finished Chapt 1 1600 words) YA sci-fi

Author Topic: The Keepers (finished Chapt 1 1600 words) YA sci-fi
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
This story developed, as I was washing the floors - weird huh?

The phone was ringing and it was bothering Joshua. He was busy trying to discover the right combination of buttons to press to beat the Galactic Nightmare boss. The sound of the ring, grated on his nerves and he clenched his teeth angrily, “Somebody wanna answer that!”

He turned to look at his younger sister Jenna, “C’mon answer the phone - please!”

Jenna shook her pig-tailed head and laughed, pointing at the television screen. Joshua’s throat clenched and he quickly looked back, he had died and the boss was doing some sort of weird victory dance. Disgusted he tossed the controller on the floor. The phone had stopped ringing. He glared at Jenna, “Thanks, thanks a lot. Do you know how long it took...

I had to stop writing - even though I didn't want to, the children asked me to open the pool and another one wanted a turn on the computer...but I will keep on working on it.

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The phone was ringing and it was bothering Joshua.[too many -ings for a short sentance. I suggest re-wording to remove them] He was busy trying to discover the right combination of buttons to press to beat the Galactic Nightmare boss. The sound of the ring, grated on his nerves and he clenched his teeth [delete.] “Somebody wanna answer that!”

He turned to look at his younger sister Jenna[.] “C’mon answer the phone - please!”

Jenna shook her pig-tailed head and laughed[this sounds weird - suggest rephrase], pointing at the television screen. Joshua’s throat clenched and he quickly looked back, he had died and the boss was doing some sort of weird victory dance. Disgusted, he tossed the controller on the floor. The phone had stopped ringing. He glared at Jenna, “Thanks, thanks a lot. Do you know how long it took...

So far we're not getting very much from this. We have a brother and sister but the only conflict so far seems to be their relationship (which is pretty much the same as any brother and sister).

Is the phone call relevent to the piece - or rather, missing it?

Is the fact that Josh obviously likes to play video games relevent to the plot? At leats one or other of them - the phone or the game playing - should be relevent I would like to think.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited July 21, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I was totally confused. I thought the Galactic Nightmare boss was on the phone and Joshua was trying to discover the right combination of buttons in order to switch the ringing off. So I wasn't really hooked by the first para which appeared to be about someone with a scary boss trying to switch the phone off.

I think you should look again at commas and full stops.

"The sound of the ring, grated on his nerves " - delete comma.

"he quickly looked back, he had died and the boss was doing" that comma should be a full stop. Assuming this boss is the GAlactic Nightmare boss, this is where I realised I had probably misunderstood the first para.

At the end of the first 13, I visualize two kids playing an electonic game, arguing, and ignoring the phone. I see no hook.

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited July 21, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

“Hello!” shouted Joshua into the phone, if no one answers I’m going to hang up, “Turn it back Jenna!”

“Cap….tain Stedman, Captain…”

There was so much interference that Joshua couldn’t hear the whole message. But he heard his name, his last name that is.
A lump developed in his throat, maybe the person was looking for his father, “H-hello did you say Stedman? Did you want to talk to my Dad, Benjamin Stedman?”

“Yes, Captain Benjamin Stedman…is he…there?”

“He’s dead.” replied Joshua, then he hung up the phone as tears welled up in his eyes.

This happens, top of page two -

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
If this happens top of page two, what happens during page one? Maybe this would be a better place to start. If you want someone to read a few pages I'd be happy to take a look.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited July 21, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Not yet, I just finished the first chapter...
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
That might be a better place to start.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Your all, more than likely right! But when I first started writing this one; this is how it played out initially. I'll finish it and then go back...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.