Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13 of the Prologue of my SF novel

Author Topic: First 13 of the Prologue of my SF novel
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

- posted      Profile for Josh Anthony   Email Josh Anthony         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I've actually finished the whole thing (48,700 words) and I'm in the process of editing it. Just thought I'd throw part of the prologue and a VERY basic outline up and see what happened.

"The Astounding Adventures of Avery and Clyde" (BTW they don't appear in the prologue, and I have a good reason for that)

Hardly anyone knew about Sigma Complex. Shielded from the eyes of the world by two hundred meters of rock and three kilometers of water, it was a place where the Interplanetary Chinese Imperium conducted experiments that the world would find unsettling, to say the least. The full specs about the base hadn't even been revealed to the military strike team that was riding down to the complex via submarine.

What the team did know was that forty minutes ago Sigma Complex had transmitted a distress signal and since then had sent no word. Presumably, something had gone wrong.

That was where the marines came in: they were to sweep through the base, identify the problem, and fix it. If the four-man team couldn't handle the job, reinforcements were standing by

Basic outline:

Avery and Clyde are Chinese teenagers living on Residential Station 34, aka Jewel, which orbits the Jupiterian moon of Ganymede. One day, they are in Avery's brand-new spaceship - the <italics> Flash of Light <italics> - when a computer virus disables their ship and nearly costs them their lives. Thanks to Avery's quick thinking, they are rescued and a week later, the FoL is ready to go again.

This time however, they receive a distress call from a mining station, and they must save the station's occupants from a devasting new weapon, capable of eradicating the chemical bonds holding all molecules and atoms together. The terrorists who used this weapon scare the nations of Earth into war, and a Canadian assault on Jewel nearly annihilates the station's population.

Afterward, Avery and Clyde discover that everything that's been happening as of late is part of a sinister plot to destroy the human race, and the only chance to stop it lies with them. But are they up to the task?

Interested in feedback on the 13s, and if you want I can give you the rest of the prologue, as well as Part 1 and the first interlude of my novel.

[This message has been edited by Josh Anthony (edited August 06, 2007).]

FYI If you want to e-mail me, let me know so I can put you on my white list (aggressive spam filter) or else I may not get your e-mails.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 06, 2007).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jidin
Member # 4387

- posted      Profile for Jidin   Email Jidin         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't grab me as much as it could. It's somewhat interesting because it's got all these mysterious terms, and you naturally wonder what goes on with these weird experiements. But the perspective at the beginning is detached. We're not linked to anyone that matters, and so it all reads as setup. What about putting the reader behind the eyes of one of the marines, showing them trying to figure out their mission. Sweating on their fatigues and gearing up their weapons as they get ready to barge in and put their lives on the line? Show them cramped and antsy as the submarine ride moves along. That'd be a great way to build tension, in my opinion.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

- posted      Profile for Josh Anthony   Email Josh Anthony         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with doing that is none of these marines end up being main characters, so that's why I adopted the outside-in POV. The entire point of the prologue is to throw the readers a "hook" (to steal from OSC ) right at the beginning so they hang in there at least long enough to find out how Sigma Complex relates to the story (and in the meantime I throw in a few more hooks that carry the story to the end).

I can see your point, but I don't think it'll help for the type of story I'm doing.

Maybe if you read the whole thing you'd see what I mean.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jidin
Member # 4387

- posted      Profile for Jidin   Email Jidin         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand where you're coming from...but the problem is, your hook isn't hooking me. I'm not nearly as interested as I could be. If some explanation and emotional involvement doesn't start occuring soon, I'm afraid I'll lose any interest natural curiosity strings me along for. If I don't have any reason to care for the Sigma Complex, then that's not going to help.

That being said, there may be plenty of examples of stories that start this way. I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me. If something comes along soon that can make me perk up, great. Otherwise I need something more in the front row of the action.

I'm glad you know where you're going with this. Always helps to have perspective, but remember that just because you know a nifty scene happens at page fifty (or even ten) which will insure the reader goes to the last page, doesn't mean the reader is going to be patient enough to last that long.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

Jidin, I can understand why you feel there isn't enough emotion in the fragment I posted. If I wanted to, I could write it so the readers identify with the marines, are moved by the emotion.

But then the prologue ends, and Part 1 switches to completely different characters with equally strong claims on emotion. I'm afraid that at this point the reader says "What the heck?" now that the characters he's been led to care about thus far have been abruptly yanked from the tale with no explanation (and those marines never show up again). In short, it's a false pretense.

So like I said, emotional attachment just doesn't cut it in the prologue. All that matters is Sigma Complex (spoiler) and why someone or something would destroy it.

tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. . . as much as I dislike begining a novel without the main character, this begining has the possibility of hooking the reader. The main problem that I noticed was that it read like the prologue to a movie, only without the interesting credit sequence. If you added some action, or more of a hint of what sort of experiments are occuring you would grab the reader's attention and make them want to start the story.
I wouldn't worry about the marines too much, many books start off with characters that the reader never sees again, especially in the sci-fi and thriller categories.
You book sounds interesting I can give you some help if you'd like it.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the danger in not bringing it to the characters quickly is that the opening ends up sounding rather generic. Many books/ movies play off the idea of some mysterious ship/ colony/ station playing a distress call and the military having to check it out.

So, to differentiate yourself, I think you do need to start out with either something about Sigma Complex making it significant--right now it doesn't feel different or unique enough for me to care all that much about Sigma Complex-- or start off with characters. If it's a prologue, then I don't think there's the trouble of having readers feel mislead if you switch characters afterward. There are many books that do that, and I've never felt cheated or disoriented--the term prologue sort of sets me up for that.

In reading your outline, though, I was wondering why you started off with Clyde and Avery first breaking down then fixing the ship and going off again? This seems like a false start to me. Why not just jump in at the point they encounter the mining station?

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited August 07, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
A few items from me.

1) The adjective form of Jupiter is not Jupiterian, but Jovian. That'll be important for true science fiction fans.

2) Starting the prologue from this POV is generally acceptable - it is the prologue after all, and a book should be able to stand on its own without the prologue. As a rule, though, I find it easier to get relevant and useful feedback by giving the first 13 of Chapter One rather than the prologue. The book can do without a prologue (or it should be able to, at least, otherwise work the important details into the novel proper) but it can not do without the first chapter.

3) This is all telling without an ounce of showing. It is much weaker for it. Again, this being the prologue, you might get away with it, but I think you'd have a much more powerful and gripping opening to your book if, rather than tell me all this stuff about Sigma Complex, you had the squad leader of the marines telling the rest of the squad some of these details. It would better show off any tension you hope to build up, it'll show off the mystery about Sigma Complex, and allow readers to identify with the story more. As this stands, it reads an awful lot like the summary you included below, except with a lot of extra detail thrown in.

4) "I can see your point, but I don't think it'll help for the type of story I'm doing." That doesn't make any sense, unless you plan to write your entire story from this outside-in POV, or you are intentionally distancing the POV to remain more detached from the action. Once again (I do hate repeating myself) this distance is doable in a prologue, but not really advisable in the story itself, and I'll once again reiterate my feeling that submitting the first 13 of Chapter one would be more beneficial, especially when the prologue doesn't appear to be a very good representation of the rest of your novel.

5) It's an old piece of advice thrown around on Hatrack (particularly here) that the best way to respond to a critique is to say "thank you", or to say nothing at all.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited August 07, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

Okay...first, thank you Wolfe for setting the Jupiter adjectives straight, I'll be sure to correct it.

I put the prologue up instead of Chap 1 because Chap 1 starts off with a lot of description that I have to explain right off the bat, so I wanted to use my 13s to put in a hook.

Annepin, not to sound critical or anything, but the outline I posted is VERY basic, so there's a lot I didn't delve into. Maybe if you read the first part of the story you'd see why I didn't start with the mine scene.

Thanks all for your advice.

[This message has been edited by Josh Anthony (edited August 07, 2007).]

Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
What confused me most was how the universe worked, as in there are now many planets (something was called 'interplanetary'), and yet you talk about the 'world' being upset. And these kids are Chinese. So is everyone still based on Earth or was I just not understanding correctly?
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

Good catch, Mauvemuse, "world" doesn't really fit with "interplanetary".

What do you mean by "based on Earth"? My governments (the important ones, at any rate) all have colony moons, space stations, and a place on the multinational planet of Mars, but they still control everything from Earth.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.