Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13 - Mainstream Novel

Author Topic: First 13 - Mainstream Novel
Maceres
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Maceres           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, here's the opening of a Christian novel. Starts out in my protagonist's teen years, on the worst night of his life. The ensuing pages describe what happened that night. What I'd like to know is if this first 13 grabs you like it should, or if I should start at the accident itself and catch up the backstory later:

When Chris Kerry was sixteen, his friend Pipe Clement stole a fifth of Jack Daniel’s from his old man’s gun cabinet. A few hours later, an unborn baby died. Chris knew he was the killer. Even those who told him he wasn’t responsible didn’t believe it, Chris could tell. It didn’t matter what they said or thought anyway, because Chris knew.
Chris and the other of the “Three Budsketeers,” Charlie Watson, met Pipe in his backyard after school that Friday night. Pipe’s freckled upper lip was trembling as he flashed them a quick look at the unopened bottle of Black Label, which he had wrapped up in a frayed pink towel.
“He just left it open,” Pipe said, incredulous at his luck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack.

From this thirteen, I really don't know what's going on.

Here's what confuses me:

quote:

When Chris Kerry was sixteen, his friend Pipe Clement stole a fifth of Jack Daniel’s from his old man’s gun cabinet. A few hours later, an unborn baby died.[How did he know the unborn baby died? How did the baby die?] Chris knew he[Who? Chris? Pipe?] was the killer. Even those who told him he wasn’t responsible didn’t believe it, Chris could tell.[I'm confused and you get more vague?] It didn’t matter what they said or thought anyway, because Chris knew.
Chris and the other of the “Three Budsketeers,” Charlie Watson, met Pipe in his backyard after school that Friday night.[Huh?] Pipe’s freckled upper lip was trembling as he flashed them a quick look at the unopened bottle of Black Label, which he had wrapped up in a frayed pink towel.

Okay. From your question, I'm assuming that the "unborn" child is killed in said accident. If so, start at the accident. I don't think you should backtrack for an info-dump. Fill any necessary details in as you're progressing. I don't see anything in this that couldn't easily fit into a line of dialogue or thought when it's relevent.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 18, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty confident, from reading this passage, that I would read on. However, it is confusing with the introduction of names, too many too fast and they are not your avergae 'Joe Bloe' names either. Maybe stick to first names initially.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
So... no fantasy at all? Sorry, hard to get my head around that concept!

I think in order to have my sympathy, anyway, I need to have a bit more information. Who is this baby? A baby of a close friend or perhaps his own unborn sibling? I think you need to tell us this right off the bat.

I feel like you're missing one critical thought here that would tie all this in together. Chris raids the JD, an fetus aborts, and he thinks he's responsible: WHY? Does he think God has somehow punished him? Or was it because his pregnant mom was upstairs and he was off getting drunk when he should have been taking care of her?

A lot of people feel they are responsible for a death that happens, regardless of the circumstances, so that in itself is not enough to make me want to follow Chris's story (sorry, I guess I'm a little cold-hearted). If I knew why he thought he was responsible, or even who the baby was to him, I might be more hooked.

Without really knowing what accident you are talking about, or how it relates to this incident, or what age your protagonist is when he has the accident, I can't really comment much on where you think the story should start. Are you planning to continuously lead up to the accident from this point? Or is this essentially a moment that happens, and then you'll fast-forward to the accident?

Okay, in rereading IB's comments, I see that maybe the baby dies in the accident... again, I think you need to make that clear, and then the causality of the first sentence would be in question, depending on the circumstances of the death. It's not the act of filching liquor, certainly, that he thinks led up to the death--if he was involved in the accident somehow, he'd think, If only I'd been there with that pregnant lady to stop her from falling down the stairs!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 19, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that does not work for me here is that we are in Chris' POV, but I don't have his thoughts about why he believes he killed the baby.

At least, it seems like that because his name comes first, and we get that he "knew" he was the killer. This is not really all that deep of penetration, so it is not obvious yet.

The voice is interesting, and for that I may read on, but more than likely I would just pass on it.

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
The others made valid points. IB mentioned starting with the accident. I could also begin a little earlier, towards the end of the drinking binge.

If you must stay with the present starting point, lose the "When Chris Kerry was sixteen." This sounds like a flashback. "Sixteen-year-old Chris Kerry..."

As the others said, be specific: He didn't drive the car that night, but he did nothing to prevent Pipe/Chris from cruising around town drunk.... When the pregnant mother's unborn baby died in Pipe's crash, I knew I was as much to blame as anyone. (Or whatever actually happened in the story.)

But as the others said, consider starting at the crash and work in the back story you've covered in your opening with police interviews, eye witnesses, etc.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maceres
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Maceres           Edit/Delete Post 
You have all offered priceless feedback. Thank you! It's amazing what you miss analyzing your own work solo. Most of it hits me with a "Duh!" because it's so obvious. With each of your posts I gained valuable tools for self-evaluation. I'll be back-- meanwhile any more comments on this first 13 are welcome.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lost but I think that's mostly because of the apparent change in POV and the withholding.

While you can change from full Omni POV (outside narrator) to a 3rd person ltd POV (one person's POV) in either voice you need to tell the reader what the POV knows. With a full omni, there is very little withholding you can get away with. With 3rd, if the POV doesn't know or doesn't have reason to think about it you can delay informing the reader about it. Here, you leave lots of open issues that your POV knows in the hope of building suspense but instead build confusion.

Ex: When Chris Kerry was sixteen, his friend Pipe Clement stole a fifth of Jack Daniel’s from his old man’s gun cabinet. A few hours later, an unborn baby died Hu? How these two related? Your Omni POV knows and so should I .

Chris knew he was the killer. This is a bit different than an unborn baby who "died." Why does Chris know he's the killer? If he choked the baby, I should know that. If he drove the car that hit the pregant woman and caused a miscarriage, I should know that. If he took his girlfriend for an abortion . . . . See my point?

Then, rather than answer these questions you flashback to before the incident.

IMHO, either keep the Omni and deal with the issues you raise OR (Better from my way of thinking) cut the Omni first paragraph and tell the story. The "omni" foreshadowing isn't working for me.

That said, the stuff after the omni is pretty good. I like the set up and "Budsketeers" even if it reminds me of "Mouseketeers." Everyone have your Mickey ears handy?

I also really like the little touches. The "frayed pink towel" tells me a lot about Pipe and his economic background. But make sure Chris (or whoever the POV is) would notice the towel too.

Even here though you violated the apparent POV. If you've dropped into Chris's head - you can't/ shouldn't tell me "Pipe said, incredulous at his luck." First, how does Chris know? Second, "incredulous at his luck" isn't the way a 16 year old thinks. Okay, I did at that age but then I'm me. Most 16 year olds don't. Third, the tag makes for weak dialog. Don't tell me Pipe was incredulous, let his dialog or actions show it.

ex: something like:

"I can't believe he left it open, he's always so damned paranoid about locking it."

Tells me in the dialog that this is an odd occurance and Pipe is suprised.

So, my 2 cents for what they are worth:

• Cut the Omni first paragraph.
  • Get into Chris' head
  • Make your dialog work more and better for you
  • Get into the story where it starts which seems to be thier drinking

Yes, I too could not resist the bullet function

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
First, this was only 12 lines...

quote:
When Chris Kerry was sixteen, his friend Pipe Clement stole a fifth of Jack Daniel’s from his old man’s gun cabinet. A few hours later, an unborn baby died. Chris knew he was the killer.

the "When Chris Kerry was sixteen" is awkward. I'd prefer "Chris Kerry was sixteen when the baby died, hours after..." So does Chris know *he* is the killer or does he know *Pipe* is the killer.

quote:
Even those who told him he wasn’t responsible didn’t believe it, Chris could tell. It didn’t matter what they said or thought anyway, because Chris knew.

I'd say this whole idea could be replaced by making sure the reader knows Chris thinks he is to blame in the earlier snippet.

quote:
Chris and the other of the “Three Budsketeers,” Charlie Watson, met Pipe in his backyard after school that Friday night. Pipe’s freckled upper lip was trembling as he flashed them a quick look at the unopened bottle of Black Label, which he had wrapped up in a frayed pink towel.

Unclear if this is flashback at first read. Avoid the flashback problem by making this a real-time reflection Chris has about Black Label or the pink towel.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.