Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Synopsis - King's Falcon

Author Topic: Synopsis - King's Falcon
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still a somewhat rough draft but have at it. It stands at 285 words.

For those who aren't following the "Open Discussion Thread" on Synopsis writing, you might want to check it out.

Thanks.

Barred from assuming the throne of Tarishah until she bears an heir, Princess Kauril escapes her power-hungry suitors by taking up residence in Fayette. Preferring to leave her royal life behind Kauril becomes Falcon, the spy for Queen Sabryna of Fayette leaving Tarishah, in effect, a province of Fayette. Years later, Sabryna, now mortally ill, demands that Falcon resume her duties as the Princess.

Mordent, a sorcerer and heir to a dying kingdom, coerces Fayette's King Jurriaan to delegate Tarishah’s governance to him in Kauril’s absence. Falcon endeavors to persuade Jurriaan to rule Tarishah rather than allowing Mordent to do so. Her desire to remain Falcon is threatened when Jurriaan requests the Princess’s guidance on a request to allow Mordent’s former kingdom to establish a farming settlement in Tarishah.

Using an elaborate ruse to protect the “Falcon” identity, she agrees to a limited encampment. Her partial concession is not enough for Mordent. He confronts her about being the Princess and casts a spell to force her to marry him. Falcon’s innate magic prevents his magic from working. They fight and she is wounded.

Falcon flees Fayette and learns that there is a greater threat to Tarishah. Mordent’s soldiers are looting Tarishah under the guise of authorized taxes. Falcon steals an original edict which implicates Mordent in the conspiracy. She returns to Fayette and charges him with treason. Jurriaan succumbs to Mordent’s spell and acquits him.

Falcon realizes that she must be both Falcon and the Princess to bring Mordent to justice. The question is not who she is but the kind of person she will be. Despite her inability to resume the throne, she accepts her responsibility to Tarishah which in return accepts her leadership.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how concise it is, but I can't hope to keep track of the names, and I wasn't clear on the ending. It seemed to me she realized how she must do it, but I don't actually know what happened. Is that the note is supposed to wrap-up on?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.