Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy Novel pitch

Author Topic: Fantasy Novel pitch
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
After recently submitting my query-pitch to BookEnds, LLC blog (http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2007/10/pitch-critiques-round-1.html) I've completely revamped my pitch for my query letters, and I'm hoping for some feedback.

"Omn's Tears" -- fantasy -- 112,000 words.

Imprisoned and powerless, fallen from heaven and grace, an angel in peril depends on the aid of two unlikely heroes: a renegade soldier, and a ruthless dragon hunter. Without them, she cannot undo the evil unleashed on an unsuspecting world. But in order to bring the two hardened and bitter rivals together, she must first open their eyes to the potential for beauty that exists in the mortal world, despite the self-seeking ambition they’ve grown accustomed to witnessing. Can such a lesson be fully embraced in time to stop disaster from unfolding before their eyes?

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Your first sentence is too long, IMO.

quote:
Imprisoned and powerless, she had fallen from heaven and grace.Now in peril,the Angel (NAME), depends on the aid of two unlikely heroes: a renegade soldier, and a ruthless dragon hunter. Without them, she cannot undo the evil unleashed(What evil exactly? -- I would like to know)on an unsuspecting world. But in order to bring the two hardened and bitter rivals(Perhaps say they are rivals when you first mention them, rather than heroes -- they will become heroes, no doubt -we can guess that) together, she must first open their eyes to the potential for beauty that exists in the mortal world, despite the self-seeking ambition they’ve grown accustomed to witnessing. Can such a lesson be fully embraced in time to stop disaster (what disaster?) from unfolding before their eyes? (I think you should be stating here that the disaster will encompass the world -- just unfolding before their eyes seems a little weak and not scary.)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 12, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems quite passive on the part of the MC. It's far more about other guys than it is about the one who would seem to be your MC. Does the angel do anything? "Opening their eyes"? Hardly exciting and seems to imply that whatever happens she doesn't do any of it.

I suppose my first question is who is the main character? If it's the angel, how does her story start? Why is she fallen? What is her name for that matter?

If she isn't the MC, who is? Is it the dragon hunter? The mercenary? You kind of imply they are the active characters in the story if they have to save her. Do I care about "the beauty of the world?" I'm not sure what that's all about.

Your pitch really doesn't hook me at all. I actually found myself a bit turned off by it (but that may be because I so dislike passive female characters whohave to be saved all the time, so take that into consideration). And since I was puzzled about what was going on in your story, it's hard to say what to do to fix the pitch, but I do think yours still isn't working.

Have you read Kristin Nelson's blog? I highly suggest her blogs on pitch writing. I found it highly illuminating.

Edit: Ok, I made an extremely rough stab at putting together something that might at least be a suggestion, because I hate saying something doesn't work without trying to make a constructive suggestion. It's a extremely rough and no doubt totally wrong in the details, but maybe it'll spark an idea for you.

Angelica, the angel, has to stop the emperor from unleashing the magic she let him steal that will blow up the world and the heavenly realm. Fallen from grace and stripped of her power, she can’t do this alone. Together with a ruthless dragon hunter and a renegade soldier, she might stand a chance if only the two weren’t deadly enemies. The last remnant of the creator’s power, Omn’s Tears, is their only salvation if they make peace with each other long enough to find it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
So now I'm not sure this new query pitch is actually any better than my old one.

Following is the query I've been using up until now. It prompted Kristen Nelson to request a partial (after which I got rejected), but it also failed to get a request for a partial from a dozen or so other agents.

--

The Adiran Enforcers used to be an organization of justice and peace, but when Captain Ryon begins asking too many questions about his recent missions, his eyes are finally opened to the brutality of his fellow soldiers and superiors alike. Now the very people who have long been his comrades-in-arms have become the enemy.

Kain never cared about another living soul in his life. But when the Enforcers hire him to track down the last remaining dragon in Adira, for the first time in his dragon-slaying career he finds himself at a dragon's mercy, bargaining for his life. Forced into helping this dragon track down the information she wants, Kain finds himself in a web of trouble, the least of which is his captor.

But when Ryon, Kain, and company meet an enchanting woman from a mythical realm, they finally discover the truth: the Emperor, in his lust for power, is on the verge of unleashing a disastrous magic that may unravel all of creation. The only way to save their world is to find the remnant power of the Creator, himself: Omn's Tears.

--

The reason I decided to recently change this, is that I submitted it to a pitch-critique session recently held at the bookends blog and the response was essentially "too long, I don't know what the story is actually about, don't tell backstory in a pitch.

The thing is, in response to your questions Jeanne, my story is told from multiple POVs. I don't think there is a single "MC" of the novel. If I HAD to order the POV characters by importance, it would be Ryon (soldier) > Kain (dragon hunter) > Saira ("angel" equivalent).

So which pitch is better? The vague, shorter, nameless pitch from my first post? Or this one?

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Second one. Although that is based on how hooky it feels to me. I know nothing about pitches and queries, otherwise.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 13, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In th first one, you nameless angel seems to be the protagonist; in the second she seems to be more of a secondary character (though she is still nameless).

(I'm going to make an assumption or two from what I've gleaned. And, I assume her name is Omn.)

IMHO - cross them both:

Siara never expected she would banned from heaven, bound to the earth, and stripped of her powers. She would have never considered that she'd unwittingly aid powermad Emporer Jerkface catalyst the uncreation. Now, with help from a repentant soldier and a failed dragon slayer, Siara must quest to find the only power that can stop Jerkface--the last remnant of the Creator himself: Omn's Tears.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 13, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
From Ryon's PoV:

Captain Ryon never expected that the Adiran Enforcers, to which he'd devoted his entire life, could be corrupt oppressors. He never thought that he would ever become the enemy. When he meets up with a failed Enforcer Dragonslayer and a fallen angel, he discovers the corruption begins with mage-Emporer Jerkface. Now, Ryon and companions must find the only thing that can stop Jerkface from causing uncreation, the last remnant of the Creator himself--Omn's Tears.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I have to agree with IB. If the angel isn't the main character, why make the pitch from her point of view. If nothing else, it comes across as I mentioned as passive.

He looks to me like he's on the right track for an improved pitch.

I'd do the pitch from the PoV of the most active character. I'd say your revised pitch is a step in the right direction. Your first was long and (frankly) a bit boring.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

Which one do you mean by my revised pitch? The one I posted first, in this post, is actually newer than the longer one, which I came up with months ago.

Essentially, I thought it was time to try changing my pitch, because I've had the opportunity to submit it to several agent/editor blogs, and essentially the reaction I've felt has been essentially that it is too stereotypical. Although Ryon and Kain (soldier and dragonslayer) are more common POV characters, I think the "fallen" (not quite accurate) angel is a slightly more original character.

Ryon and Kain get most of the POV. But without the angel falling, their adventure would never start. Or rather, they wouldn't know what is REALLY at stake. She is the catalyst of the story. So I thought focusing the pitch around her fall, and how her presence starts the adventure would work better. I guess it doesn't.

I swear it's easier to write a whole new book than a good pitch. *sigh*

Thanks for all the advice btw, everyone.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

When I said your new one, I meant the short one.

I think the reason she doesn't work for the pitch is that there is nothing new about a passive female character who has to be saved. This is one of the oldest stereotypes in fantasy and since she doesn't do anything it's pretty hard to make it sound interesting.

And I agree the submission packet part is kind of awful. Good luck with finding a pitch that works.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 14, 2007).]

AstroStewart
Member # 2597

I guess I didn't even consider that part, because well, even though the other main characters meet the angel by essentially "accidentally" saving her, never in a million years would I think of her as passive. As soon as she's free, she essentially becomes the leader of the group, giving commands to everyone else. But all of her non-passivity is in the rest of the book, the part that wont fit into a pitch =P
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, I suppose we might differently define what is passive. I would probably consider someone who sat around "giving commands to everyone else" passive. And that is probably why she isn't the protag of your novel (or that is my impression from what you said).

Since it is essential that your pitch be interesting, pick the most active, interesting character. The one that sounded interesting to me was the dragonslayer. But since I haven't read the work, obviously that's a pretty superficial anaysis.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.