Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Collector

Author Topic: Collector
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

First 13 of a fiction piece I have been working on. The story follows a Reaper in training as he learns to collect souls. First chapter is complete if anyone is interested. Rest is WIP
-------

Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Dark patches of miscellaneous car fluids stained the aging asphalt and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew. Cars and trucks passed rapidly by the area. The passengers of these vehicles paid no heed to the unseen story unraveling in the westbound ditch of the Trans-Canada highway. The living, most of them anyway, were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld that surrounded them.

Jakob studied the accident scene from a far. He stood on a slender gravel road that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away from the site. An immaculately clean black

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the premise, but would not know where this was going (besides west) if you hadn't told us outright in your intro.

Perhaps an early mention of Jakob would put us in his POV more readily.

Another way to start?

Jakob studied the accident scene from afar. Dark patches of engine fluids and glittering stars of shattered glass were all that remained of the fatal accident that occurred earlier that day...

I would suggest reworking the first 13 to grab more attention.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonChick
Member # 7768

- posted      Profile for DragonChick           Edit/Delete Post 
I respectfully disagree with Cheyne. I think the purpose of the first page is to pull me into the story and keep me reading. You did that. I would definitely keep going. I don't think it takes too long to get to the POV character, mainly because I DID know the premise of the story, which added interest to this scene. I think that's perfectly legitimate, because when I'm browsing in a bookstore, I read the back flap before I read page one. I thought your premise (back flap, essentially) was interesting and I would have opened the book to learn more. I liked the voice of your first page and would have kept going. It's strong writing. Good job.

[This message has been edited by DragonChick (edited January 30, 2008).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with DC here. I liked the opening. I have a few style issues, but concept wise, I found it intriguing. I like the scene setting in the opening para as it seems to set the mood and theme of the story--the underworld is doing stuff that we are oblivious to.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you did an excellent job and I would definitely keep reading as well. However, I agree with Cheyne. I think starting with the character is stronger than starting with the scene.

In the situation where you start with the scene, as you do, I'm somewhat unaware of what my perspective is as I view this setting.
However, if there is a character there from the get-go, it gives me some grounding - I can envision him looking toward, and perhaps walking along, the dark patches of miscellaneous car fluids and the stained and aging asphalt.

I think the main reason why I say this is because the fatal tragedy isn't very descriptive. I'd rather you cut right to the details and get rid of that whole first sentence.

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited January 31, 2008).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Devnal, I'm interested in critiquing your first chapter. Do you want to do a swap?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. [What fatal accident? PoV?] Dark patches of [miscellaneous<--It's ambiguous enough without this.] car fluids stained the aging asphalt and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew.[Who is seeing this, and how do they know it's not just the regular road scree, built up over time.] Cars and trucks passed rapidly by the area.[Eh? They are just flying by a wreck site?] The passengers of these vehicles paid no heed to the unseen story unraveling in the westbound ditch of the Trans-Canada highway.[<--Withholding. This is where the real story is, and you're deliberately obscuring it.] The living, most of them anyway, were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld that surrounded them.[What underworld? Who knows about it?]

Jakob studied the accident scene from a far.[<--Static. How does he know it's an accidents scene. There's nothing that would lead an observer to believe that--everything is cleaned up but some litter and stains.] He stood on a slender gravel road that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away from the site.[Why?] An immaculately clean black

1) I agree with Cheyne and the suggestion to start in Jakob's PoV.

2) If he can see the dead, or intimately knows of this underworld, then that is the real hook. If he knows it's an accident scene, and there is not real signs of one, showing how he knows will further hook me and help me immerse.

3) Standing in the distance is static. It removes me (the reader) from the scene, and reminds me--through the character--that I'm reading a story. AND it diffuses the immediacy of the situation.

4) You mentioned a "story unraveling in the westbound ditch", and let it die, switching to a character that--like the ignorant passersby--seems to also be missing the story. That's cheating. If the PoV Character isn't seeing it, I shouldn't be.

You have chosen a cinematic beginning, and it fails for precisely that reason. If we were watching this, we would get much more information out of it, and Jakob studying the scene from a distance might lend a dramatic view to the protagonist. What we writers can do, in lieu of trying to describe something that needs a visual connection (and what a camera cannot do), is go into the character--and take the reader with us.

A loose example:

A sudden movement to Jakob's right snatched his attention from the busy Trans-Canadian Highway traffic. He braked and threaded his Mazda through the rush hour derby to the breakdown lane. He turned his hazard lights on. A cacophony of horns and shouted expletives greeted him as he stepped out of the car. The living rarely appreciated him, but those lamenting spirits he had glimpsed wandering the westbound ditch needed him. Though Jakob got quickly off of the road's shoulder, he approached the ghosts cautiously. They could be baiting him. There was a chance they would go all wraith on him. Some apparitions derived great joy from tormenting the living. Once burned by a pack of poltergeists, one was seldom so reckless again...

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 31, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Very helpful everyone, thanks.

It's easy to get caught up in what you've written without the input of a 3rd eye. I think I'd like to work on this a bit before passing on the first chapter.

Thanks again.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip L
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Phillip L   Email Phillip L         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the premise, it's very original, at least to me because I have never read anything like it. It drew me in, although, if felt like something was missing from the beginning. I could see the stains all over the pavement, however, I didn't know from what point of view I was observing. If it starts with the MC, Jakob observing, it changes things. To view a tragic scene such as that from the POV of a reaper would be very different and draw to the audience. I would like to read more.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Alright, I tried to take everyones points into consideration. I feel I have safely put the POV on Jakob on the opening paragraph. I made a couple of other revisions that I think should suffice other concerns. I do feel the last sentence of the first paragraph is still a bit weak though. I am having trouble tightening it up appropriately. What do you think? could use opinions. Thanks again

-------

Jakob studied the accident scene from a safe distance. Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew. Cars and trucks passed rapidly by the area. No braking, no gawking faces. The passengers were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld, including the events, at present, unraveling in the ditch that paralleled the Trans-Canada Highway.

He stood on a slender gravel road that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away from the site.An immaculately

-------

I think it imply's Jakob Knows something is going on. Would it be beneficial to explain how/why he know's this early?

AllenMackley
Member # 7771

Devnal, I liked this version better, but I've come up with a few suggestions.

Jakob studied the accident scene from a safe distance. Could you describe where he's standing? (See what I've suggested below.) Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. You don't need this as you explain the fatal tragedy in the next sentence. The only detail you really give here is that it is early in the morning; however, maybe you could find a better way to communicate this: are birds chirping? Is there fresh, cold morning air or long shadows along the pavement from the rising sun? Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass I like the how you used impact glass, it sounds potent had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten end the sentence here by the clean up crew.take out: by the clean-up crew, you don't need it Cars and trucks passed rapidly by the area. Give us some sensory details to help us envision the passing cars and trucks more potently. Perhaps describe the sound of rubber to pavement as it whirls by. No braking, no gawking faces. The passengers were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld, If you were to give us a small description of what is actually going on in the Underworld, you wouldn't need to actually say that the passengers of the cars and trucks are ignorant, as that would be obvious by the fact that they're zooming by. including the events, at present, unraveling in the ditch that paralleled the Trans-Canada Highway.

He stood on a slender gravel road Put this up in the first sentence. Some more ideas: gravel makes a noise under your shoes; by describing this noise you can clue the reader into the fact that he's standing on gravel. that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away from the site.An immaculately

The point I'm trying to get across is to add more details and less generalities. I want to feel like I am standing next to Jakob viewing this scene - or perhaps that I am Jakob. I want to be that rapped up in the story. In order to do that I need details that appeal to all of my senses. Primarily, sight, sound and touch, but also smell and taste, when possible.

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited February 02, 2008).]

Devnal
Member # 6724

Thanks for the comments. I see were i can make some changes.

I do have to disagree with adding more details though. I think I have put enough in there for the reader to build their own vision of what the scene looks like. I try to steer clear of sensory overloading the work. There is a fine line between providing details and trying to bend the readers imagination to your will. I think I read in Stephen King's On Writing book one needs to be careful to not over detail or describe. I think the example he used was in his description of characters.

But then again im an amateur, anyone else have any comments on the details? Is more needed in the 13 lines to successfully paint the picture? do you feel it moves you along and sets the scene well enough?

AllenMackley
Member # 7771

With the characters perhaps its best not to go into too much detail because you want the widest possible audience to be able to relate to him or her and feel a connection with that character. However, with the setting I think its different.
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Devnal, I've been gone from Hatrack for about a week, so I read everything in this thread all at once.

I like your latest version, but there are a few things that could potentially be improved. In the first sentence, rather than say "from a safe distance" why not mention say "from quarter of a kilometer away" so that we can visualize what a "safe distance" is. I was assuming you meant a safe distance from the cars passing by and so was envisioning him only a few meters away at most.

Even with this new version, the scene feels fairly distant. I think that's why AllenMackley is suggesting adding sensory detail that will help make the scene feel more immediate. I (and please understand that this is just one person's opinion) agree that adding all the sensory information AllenMackley suggests would lead to sensory overload. It would also slow to story down, and it's slow enough already.

There are several options I can think of. If the distant feel only occurs in the first paragraph, then you can probably leave it as is since this is a novel. However, I suspect you're going to describe what Jacok is wearing in line #14, which means you're still wavering between Jacob's POV and omniscient POV. Many readers prefer the author to pick one POV and stick with it.

Just as an exercise, try re-writing this solely from Jacob's POV--only what he is seeing, feeling, hearing, thinking, and looking at--and see if you like it.

Here's an example (which, of course, will have the details wrong):
---

Jakob studied the accident scene from a side road a quarter of a kilometer away. Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the Trans-Canada highway.

Cars and trucks whooshed by the area, the passengers unaware of the aftermath that he could still see. The three spirits of those who had died hovered over the ditch beside the highway, writhing in agony.

---

Hope this helped.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

I revamped the first 13 lines again. I think I'm getting a handle on this. I think my problem is I see the story like a movie in my head and set about describing it that way. I can see the fault in this. Hope this works better. Thanks again for the input. I have chapter 1 (about 1,000 words) ready for critiquing if anyone would be interested. Also looking for feedback, yet again, on the first 13.

----------
Jakob studied the accident scene as he waited for his Mentor. He stood on a slender gravel road that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away. Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew. Cars and trucks whooshed by the area. No braking, no gawking faces. The passengers were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld, including the events, at present, unraveling in the ditch that paralleled the Trans-Canada Highway.

An immaculately clean black Sebring accompanied him. He held his tall skinny body at attention; His thumbs hooked into the pant pockets of his clean pressed Armani

LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Jakob studied the accident scene as he waited for his Mentor. He stood on a slender interesting word to describe a road. I see slender and I think tree branches or girls, not roads. Maybe "narrow." gravel road that turned off the highway a quarter of a kilometer away. Few signs remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt I thought he was standing on gravel? in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew. Cars and trucks whooshed by the area. On the gravel road? Or on the nearby highway? Highway seems a bit far away to be whooshing No braking, no gawking faces. The passengers were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld, including the events, at present, unraveling in the ditch that paralleled the Trans-Canada Highway.

An immaculately clean black Sebring accompanied him. Not sure you want "accompanied" here to describe the car. That word implies conscious choice on the part of the accompanier. And it implies movement. He held his tall skinny body at attention; His thumbs hooked into the pant pockets of his clean pressed Armani are how he stands and what he's wearing important here?

I'm confused by the geography of the scene. There's a gravel road, the highway, and apparently they're right together for him to be noticing the cars going by on the highway when he's standing on the gravel road. Is it important where the gravel road turns off the highway? Oh yeah, and the ditch. Where did the accident take place? On the highway? Then why is he standing in the gravel road? If the accident took place early in the morning, what time is it now?

I think you're still trying to cram too much scene into the opening lines. Step back a bit, start by telling us what he's doing there, what he's thinking, then bring the scene in as needed. Maybe when the mentor arrives, you can elaborate a bit. DebbieKW hit it on the head with her POV suggestion, I think.

(I like the concept, though.)

(edited for tags)

[This message has been edited by LCastle (edited February 08, 2008).]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Here it is again; I fought with this a while because i didn't feel I was relaying the info i wanted too, and I think I was making too many changes based on everyone's comments. Thanks again all comments welcomed as always. I have the first 2 chapters finished as well if anyone is interested.
Thanks

------------------------
Jakob studied the few signs that remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway, forgotten by the clean up crew. Cars and trucks whooshed by the area. No braking, no gawking faces. The passengers were blissfully ignorant of the going-ons of the Underworld, which included the confused and frantic souls in the ditch that paralleled the Trans-Canada Highway. Jakob could sense those souls. They were near hysterics. It would be his hardest Collection to date.

He stood next to his Sebring upon a slender farm road that turned off the highway about 150 meters away from the scene.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

Jakob studied the few signs that remained of the fatal tragedy that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. Engine fluids stained the aging asphalt in dark patches and a sprinkle of glistening impact glass had been swept to the side of the highway[, forgotten by the clean up crew<--[Ditch this. It's not important to the progression of the story, and it's a little smoother read without it.]. [Cars and trucks<--[IMHO simplify: Traffic] whooshed by [the area<--Seems redundant to add this.]. No braking, no gawking faces[; [/i]t[/i]]he passengers were blissfully ignorant of the [going-ons<--[Don't need this.] of the Underworld, [which included<--IMHO simplify to: and] the confused[,] frantic souls in the [Southbound?] ditch [that paralleled<--IMHO simplify: of] the Trans-Canada Highway. Jakob could sense those souls[. They<--Ditch.] were near hysterics. [It<--IMHO: They] would be his hardest Collection to date.

He stood next to his Sebring upon a slender farm road that turned off the highway about 150 meters away from the scene. <--Again: Huh? In the first paragraph, I am right there in the midst of everything (in Jakob's PoV), then JAR I'm 150 meters away, in Jakob's PoV. How? Magic? If so, I need to know that.]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the concept, and have a great visual in my head from reading all the various rewrites. I think the February 1, 3:52 draft is the one I like best, but the first sentence is still weak.

My suggestion is to start off with a strong hook that incorporates two points :(i) he can see the dead and (ii) he is some sort of student.

Something like this: "Jakob watched the souls of the dead shamble about the ditch along the Trans-Canada highway while he waited for his teacher."

I really like the new add describing the mood of the souls in the latest draft (which is why I like "shamble" in the first sentence). Since they are of immediate interest, consider bringing them up to the front of the intro, rather than so near the end. Also, explain to us why they are confused, and why thse circumstances make their collection difficult.

Something like this: "The accident had been fast and terrible, and the passing of hours had not been enough to calm its victims. Jakob knew the souls were frightened and confused; perhaps they were even angry. A violent passing could make the dead unpredicatable. It was dangerous to approach them alone under such circumstances. So he waited."

This tells us there was a car crash, and it tells us why Jakob is waiting for his teacher. It also introduces sense of danger.

From there break into the physical description of the scene so our view broadens out of the narrow focus on the ditch, and we see ordinary people going about their lives oblivious to the happenings in the ditch. I really like the addition of his car, which firmly plants him into the mortal world so we think of him as a person rather than an angel or another spirit, which I assume is part of the story.

Nice premise - good luck!

[This message has been edited by Khalan (edited February 20, 2008).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Awesome, totally what I was looking for IB.

I want Jakob standing at a distance taking in the scene, but I am having trouble working it smoothly into the first thirteen. I agree it's uber important to have the reader realize this in the beginning instead of reorienting themselves after the first para. Still not sure how to do it without getting excessively wordy. Thanks K, enjoyed your comments as well and there's a good chance I will work them in too.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Maybe something as simple as:

Even from 150 meters away, Jakob could clearly see the signs of the accident: The sparkling of impact glass. The dark stains of vehicular fluids spread across aged pavement. Traffic sped by, the drivers ignorant of the Underworld and the frantic souls in the southbound ditch of the Trans-Canada Highway.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 20, 2008).]

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
150 meters? Isn't that more than one and a half football fields? Couldn't he be a little closer than that?
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.