Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Critiques for a 1st timer please

Author Topic: Critiques for a 1st timer please
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I have never written anything before (disclaimer), but I have always loved reading fantasy. I wrote this scene as a sort of proof-of-concept, to see if I could actually write something that makes sense. Please criticize, mock, and comment on it in any way you can. I guess I need to know my strengths and weaknesses first, in order to know how to proceed. I posted it on my webspace because it seemed a little long (1,200 words or so) for one post. Here you go:

http://eugenetwood.com/scene1.htm

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, the Moderator (she who must be obeyed), will probably warn you that you're risking your publication rights by putting so much of your story online. I anticipate that she'll suggest that you remove the text from the website and post only the first 13 here, with no link.

The problem is, publishers now consider stories posted on a website to be "published"; most publishers are interested in first publication rights, which you are risking. However, posting the first 13 is safe for normal-length stories, and that is the focus of this forum...first 13 only.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want crit on your entire piece, you should post your first thirteen lines in this forum. Above that you can type exactly what you are looking for. Then if someone reads and is willing to do line edits etc... You can email it to them.

also; title, genre, wordcount (in the subject line)

I take it you are just looking for an overall crit since you have already published this piece. I'll check it out and get back.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses. Actually, I am aware of the publishing issue. But, I never really intended this scene to be a part of a finished work necessarily. As I said, I have never written a word of fiction before. So I just kind of wanted to get something down, and get some feedback from the experts. You know, kind of a "If this was your first attempt, what would you work on" type of thing. I'm hoping something "publishable" will come later. Really sorry if I'm out of line by posting so much. Mods, feel free to delete if necesary. If anyone does want to devote a little more time to reading it though, I really would appreciate it. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited February 19, 2008).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I started it last night, then got side tracked. I'll finish it today sometime.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

It is good. I take it that it is a piece of a novel? Without any editing remarks besides you don't have to italicize his thoughts because it is understood is him thinking in this POV. Other than that, it kept my attention and it flowed pretty well. Welcome to Hatrack.
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Thanks so much for reading it. It really isn't a piece of anything at the moment. I just kind of sat down and wrote it to see if I could.

I actually tried it without the italics and I had a hard time following it. Maybe that means I use too much internal conversation.

Any more general tips? I'm kind of just looking for something to work on and practice before I launch into a full on novel. After all, I'm only 1,200 words into my "writing career".

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, WouldBe. I decided not to say anything because alliedfive had indicated that it wasn't really part of anything.

It's good, though, to be sure that people understand about using up their publication rights.

alliedfive, I only cut things down that are actually posted here on the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum. What you put on your own website is up to you. I'm glad you understand about electronic publication.

If you'd like to try the Writing Class area, there are topics that discuss some writing exercises that might help you get started on an actual story.

Edited to add links to the three writing assignments:

#1 , #2 , #3

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 20, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Yeah, I've been reading my way through those. Awesome stuff.

Again though, if anyone has any criticisms based on what I wrote, I would love it. I feel like I don't quite know where to start. I'm the kind of person who wants to feel like I've got a handle on my strengths and weaknesses before I undertake something large.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I recommend to people who feel intimidated by a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen), is to try talking the story into a recorder. Get some people around to listen to you, if you need an audience, but record your story first.

Then, transcribe it, or have someone else do that, and you won't have a blank screen or piece of paper any more. You'll have something to work on.

This is a particularly favorite piece of advice when someone hears that I'm a writer and says something like, "I've got this great story idea, but I can't write it. Would you be interested in writing it and we'll split the money?"

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

I probably worded that last post wrong. I know where to start, and I feel like I could easily create a story now. I just would like to know what my strengths and weaknesses are so I can work on them before I launch into a potentially flawed novel. Thanks for being so patient with me guys.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Toward the end the battle scene became a little confusing. The use of better tags, breaking manuevers into paragraghs, or pronouns, could help with intense situations like that.

If you were to apply that type of writing to a piece about that length or longer, and give it a stronger plot, you would really have something.

I was a little confused about where the story took place. At first reading, the dialogue especially sounded like WW2 infantry, then the citadel and mages turned me.

You write well. Keep it up.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stuck comments into your first 13.
quote:
The knees[. They] omit were the first to go. A soldier [spends] spent his career strapping plate and chain and leather onto his chest and back and head, [and] but the knees [are] were the first to go. Captain Grip grimaced and spat in disgust at his own womanish philosophizing.
[I’ve finally gone soft. He thought.] 1) This is the first time of many where you stick in an extra period. It should be a comma between "soft" and "He" (which then becomes "he"). 2) I don't see any advantage in making little thoughts like this into quoted internal monologue. "He'd finally gone soft." is all you need.
Despite the ringing in his ears, he clearly heard the labored breaths of his men. They lined the trench, (1) Here you have a comma instead of a period. 2) the breaths lined the trench? 3) And trenches? What good would they be for soldiers fighting in armor, with, supposedly, swords as weapons? Or is this just some sort of random ditch that they're using to keep out of sight?
Such mundane thoughts always seemed to bubble up at the strangest times. Usually when hope of victory was lost, or when a momentary calm pierced the bloody cloud of a battlefield. Thoughts of fighting and dying and strategizing seemed to wait for a man to be lounging in a bath, or lolling in bed. One of life’s curiosities.
There I go again. He chided himself. 1) Again, period instead of comma. 2) He is chiding himself. It's obvious. You don't need to tell us. 3) This one, I'll admit, would sound stupid as "There he went again." The internal monologue is okay here. But I think something like "Bah![or expletive of your choice] He was doing it again." would work even better.

I read a bit further than this, but not much. I wasn't really interested in his philosophizing. It looks like things might start happening with the wagon wheels--though what wagon wheels have to do with armor escaped me. And they're not happening very fast.

I would try (eventually, when you get around to editing) to really tighten this up. Or, first, make sure you're starting in the right place. Captain Grip doesn't really attact my sympathy much right now. Should you be starting earlier, at the point when this war (or at least campaign) gets started, so I can see him under normal circumstances just for a moment? Or later, when a battle starts, so we get plunged into the action? (I'd probably prefer earlier myself, but there's no telling for sure.)

Aside from the above comments, the writing itself is clear and grammatical. Just watch the punctuation and the tendency to spend too much time over things that could be skimmed.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited February 21, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Thanks rickfisher, very helpful. I agree that it is slow and boring. You actually caught it in mid-edit, the sentence about them lining the trench was not finished (hence the strangely placed comma).

I made some more changes. What kind of thing would make the character interesting to the reader immediately. Do I need more action in the first thirteen, more drama or pathos?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.