Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Fantasy

Author Topic: Untitled Fantasy
Acriter
Member # 7877

- posted      Profile for Acriter   Email Acriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be the 100th version of my opening. The story is about a young boy. His story is written, but it had no antagonist, and my writing was really bad. I am basically starting from scratch and the MC is evolving. Well, here it is. Take your best shot at it and thanks.

{Please skip down to the next version. Thanks.}

Joquard bolted upright. Unable to see through the darkness, he listened. Now, he heard only the air rushing in and out of his lungs and the drumming of his heart inside his head. The other sound was gone--lost when consciousness replaced nightmare. Satisfied that he was alone in his room, he lay down on his side and pulled the blankets under his chin. He lay in the dark, his eyes open.
On the other side of the room, beyond the bedroom door, embers in the cottage's fireplace glowed. He raised his gaze above the reddish hew, to the place where Papa's sword hung. A familiar tingle started in his toes and rose through his body to his head. I wonder why the sword keeps trying to talk to me. He turned over and burrowed deeper under the blankets.

[This message has been edited by Acriter (edited April 01, 2008).]

Thanks for the feedback. All of your comments were helpful. It is a good challenge to write meaningful text in thirteen lines. The above is a whittled down version of my original opening. Since I didn't get the points that I wanted across to you, I cut out a lot more. Okay, here's the 101st version of my opening:

Joquard lay in his bed and waited for his fear, brought on by a reoccurring nightmare, to leave him. Through his bedroom door, he saw the red glow of embers in the cottage's fireplace. He raised his gaze above the reddish hue, to the place where Papa's sword hung. A tingle started in his toes and rose through his body to his head. I wonder why the sword keeps trying to tempt me to touch it. He turned over and burrowed deeper under the blankets. But I won't break my promise to Papa.
Goosebumps rose on his arms. He trembled. The feelings were validated by a heavy thump on the front door of his home that shook the walls. He bolted upright. "No, I never dream the nightmare twice in the same night. I know I'm awake."
Another thump resounded through the cottage. He heard his parent's bedroom door burst open and their footfalls reverberate

[This message has been edited by Acriter (edited April 01, 2008).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph had no hook for me. Just the MC waking up from a nightmare. I'd delete it. The second . . . . well, that had me interested.

I'm going to ignore the first paragraph and just give you my take on the second.

quote:
On the other side of the room, beyond the bedroom door, embers in the cottage's fireplace glowed. not sure he could really see this far, but I was willing to go there He took me a minute to realize this was still Joquard raised his gaze above the reddish hew Hu? Oh, the dying embers , to the place where Papa's sword hung. A familiar tingle started in his toes and rose through his body to his head.

I wonder why the sword keeps trying to talk to me. WHAT?!! COOL! This was the hook for me. I did wonder why the boy wasn't listening though. Let's see if he talks to it.

He turned over and burrowed deeper under the blankets. Rats- the kid doesn't think this is important so why should I?

For me, if you open here, I'd rather find out what the sword wants from Joquard since, presumably, whatever it wants propels Joquard into action rather than a nap.

You've got the potential to hook me - an enchanted/magic sword trying to talk to a kid - but then put me to sleep with the kid. Keep working at it, openings are tough.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited April 01, 2008).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcc2k4
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for jcc2k4   Email jcc2k4         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kings_falcon, the first paragraph isn't a hook (I should know, i wrote two exactly like that (Using the cliche awakening)).

I would start with something the sword and the kid being afraid of it's power. At least you're not loosing much, i lost 43,000 words

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oblomova
Member # 7846

- posted      Profile for Oblomova           Edit/Delete Post 
The communication with the sword caught my attention too. Why won't he talk to it? Would he be punished? I can't wait to find out why it's "familiar" to him.

I wouldn't mind his going back to sleep if I knew more about the situation first.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the others. We've had alot of awakening stories of late. The real hook is the sword talking to him. I would try to start there.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.