Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13. Dark Queens War

Author Topic: First 13. Dark Queens War
Dmfitzgerald
Member # 2570

- posted      Profile for Dmfitzgerald   Email Dmfitzgerald         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first 13 or so from my novel, The Dark Queens War...Thoughts?

The Dark Woman was evil. She had been consigned to evil by the actions of her father and mother. They were dead, she had seen to it herself. On formal occasions she wore her mother’s skin, it kept her allies in line and looked good on her.
She lay on a small pile of cushions wearing a thin silk wrap, partaking in one of her favorite pastimes, reading. It was so exciting to learn about far away lands and people. She cradled her current project’s head in her lap and continued to browse through his thoughts. She had removed the top of his skull, it was easier reading when you could see what you were doing.

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest. I couldn't tell whether this was supposed to be funny or serious. The narrator talks pretty glibly about the MC wearing her mother's skin. And then, the whole favorite pastime being . . . reading. ?

I didn't get it. Are we supposed to be laughing or cringing at the Dark Woman's evil? You have some interesting ideas, but you need to make your tone a bit more clear.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This first 13 is actually only 10 lines.

Just so you know, and in case you'd like to add to it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 06, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Dark Woman was evil. She had been consigned to evil by the actions of her father and mother. They were dead, she had seen to it herself.

It may be that I am in short story mode, but I felt this to be wordy. Perhaps a more concise, abbreviated version would suffice. Such as:
The Dark Women was evil. Consigned to maneavolence by the sins of her parents, slain by her own hands.
quote:
On formal occasions she wore her mother’s skin, it kept her allies in line and looked good on her.

I did a double take on this. Twisted humour? It needs another voice or a new angle. Also this needs to be forwarding the plot--a progressive voice.

Intended to be a humorous example:

At the Evil overlord conference, her minions cowered before her. Enrobed in the skin of her dead mother, she felt exquisite.

quote:
She lay on a small pile of cushions wearing a thin silk wrap, partaking in one of her favorite pastimes, reading. It was so exciting to learn about far away lands and people. She cradled her current project’s head in her lap and continued to browse through his thoughts. She had removed the top of his skull, it was easier reading when you could see what you were doing

This seemed awkward and wordy. Again express ideas in a positive form.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdt
Member # 3889

- posted      Profile for jdt   Email jdt         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things.

Please don't tell me the Dark Woman is evil. Show it to me.

Also, you started off your story with backstory. Try starting your story where the story starts. For me, this is in the second paragraph. If you start here, you suck the reader in with the impression that this woman is doing something innocuous like reading a history book. Then BAM! She's reading his exposed brain? That's Evil.

Try this on:

The Dark Woman lay on a small pile of cushions wearing a thin silk wrap, partaking in one of her favorite pastimes, reading. It was so exciting to learn about far away lands and people. She cradled her current project’s head in her lap and continued to browse through his thoughts. Removing the top of his skull did take some extra time, but it was easier reading when you could see what you were doing.

There are some more things you could do to make it more active, but you get the idea.

Now the reader knows she's evil without you having to spell it out. You can work the other information in the first paragraph into the story.

There's another issue: point of view. If you're writing in 3rd person limited (observing her thoughts), would she think something like this?

"She had been consigned to evil by the actions of her father and mother. They were dead, she had seen to it herself. On formal occasions she wore her mother’s skin, it kept her allies in line and looked good on her."

That's more of an info dump than story.

Try switching this into first person and see if it makes sense.

Interesting premise. I'd read on with some polishing.

Good luck,

Joe

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let you know that you have a good conept going before I start into this. I almost missed it though.

I have always laughed when they say you have 13 lines to attract the attention of an editor. Always felt rushed to me. So I log on at lunch, and I got to the line about reading is her favorite past time, and I stopped and went to the reactions of the others. Got through them and realized I missed a great hook. I am now a firm believer in the 13, as I only gave you 8 or 9, and then left.

With this said, the wearing of her mother's skin intrigued me, and the reading of the brains had me. For me those were the hooks and good ones at that. I would suggst starting there.

I hope this helps, you do have a promising start.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited May 07, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.