Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Damsel in Distress (ressurecting a VERY old post)

Author Topic: Damsel in Distress (ressurecting a VERY old post)
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
OK a while back I posted my 13 for Damsel in distress...About a year from today to be honest.

I still wonder how my brother became a hero. Shakespeare once said that some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. For my brother it was more of a head on collision.

It all started on a Wednesday—I hate Wednesdays. The mere thought of returning to school fully conscious and having no reprieve until Saturday made me want to pull the covers over my head and sleep through the alarm. I would have -- if it hadn’t been for the screaming mob outside my window. The screams were ear shattering. My ears remained intact, but the window did shatter. I groaned, one more reason why I hated today, and I hadn’t even gotten out of bed yet.

It is not finished (Close, I am currently approaching the climax) But I am looking for a reader or two to give me feedback on the first 100 pages. Thanks in advance for comments and such.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good opening pair of sentences. The three possibilities of how he achieved greatness was a good hook. It makes one wonder which of the three it is, and establishes an instant mystery. I hope you didn't give it away in the next sentence, though, meaning that the head-on collision reference seemed somewhat correlative to the one about having greatness thrust upon him (at least that was my immediate reaction). Loved the segue from the ears feeling like they would shatter to the window shattering instead. I wasn't sure what the word "today" referred to in the last sentence. Lastly, I'm pretty sure ear shattering is supposed to have a dash and read ear-shattering, and head on is also head-on. Hope this helps. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Solid. If you're not in a rush, you can shoot it over.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stammsp
Member # 8000

- posted      Profile for stammsp   Email stammsp         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be glad to look at it for you, as well. You've intrigued me.

Gina
(I seem to have trouble receiving attachments from people. Don't give up!)
I have Word, if that makes a difference.

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll send the pages over as soon as possible.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.