Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Charlie Wizard

Author Topic: Charlie Wizard
zakattack
Member # 2272

- posted      Profile for zakattack           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a novella and I am re-writing it into a novel with hopes to continue the story into a series. Here is what I have so far (Any volunteers to take a look at chapters as I finish them are more than welcome! send me an email: zakariaz.gerhard@gercom.com if you are interested. Please put something related to editing in the subject field).

Feel free to ask any questions and I thank you in advance for taking a look at my work.

Here are the first 13 lines:
-----------------------------------
Charlie felt disconnected. Disconnected and calm. Summerset’s bustling city sounds were inaudible from the hilltop Charlie had climbed. The hills were separated from Summerset by a thin forest and behind him the hills gradually grew into sharp mountains. The only sounds Charlie heard up here was the wind as his sword sliced open the air. The city of Summerset was a good distance in front of him, and he swung his sword in practice at its distant image. He kept the sword moving in a constant flow and stopped thinking. He stopped thinking about his father’s projects, the work to be done in his father’s blacksmith shop, the hectic noise of Trade Street where he shared a home with all of Summerset’s craftsmen, and the sounds of the guards marching by on their rounds. The only images in

-----------------------------------

[This message has been edited by zakattack (edited August 08, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 08, 2008).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoDe Nichols
Member # 7884

- posted      Profile for KoDe Nichols   Email KoDe Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie felt disconnected. Disconnected and calm.

This duet of sentances seems awkward to me. I don't think its reduncancy is acheiving its target. Disconnected is not a flattering word to be repeated in that manner. Maybe try

Charlie felt calm. Calm and disconnected.

Although that may shift the focus in a direction that contradicts the mood you are trying to acheive.

Summerset’s bustling city sounds were inaudible from the hilltop Charlie had climbed.

I would re-order this. Summerset sorta jumps out of nowhere a little more then it needs to. Maybe try:

From the hilltop on which he sat, Charlie could barely hear the bustling city sounds of Summerset.

I think that makes a better transition of ideas.

Or you could continue the repetition motif you started with, adding in the next line with it like this:

Charlie felt calm. Calm and disconnected. Disconnected from the city of the Summerset. Separated from its bustling sounds by a thin forest of trees. Behind him the hills gradually grew into sharp mountains.

The only sounds Charlie heard up here was the wind as (of) his sword (as it) sliced open the air.
He swung his sword at the distant image of Summerset.

I made a few revisions to the rest as well which would give you a couple more lines.
Charlie felt calm. Calm and disconnected. Disconnected from the city of the Summerset. Separated from its bustling sounds by a thin forest of trees. The only sound Charlie heard was the wind of his sword as it sliced open the air. He swung his sword at the distant image of Summerset, moving his sword in a constant flow. He stopped thinking. He stopped thinking about his father’s projects, the work to be done in his father’s shop, the hectic noise of Trade Street, where he shared a home with all of Summerset’s craftsmen, and the sounds of the guards marching by on their rounds.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aetheric
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for Aetheric           Edit/Delete Post 
All telling, no showing. Repetition where there shouldn't be.

quote:
Charlie felt disconnected. Disconnected and calm. Summerset’s bustling city sounds were inaudible from the hilltop Charlie had climbed.

Double repetition - you repeat the character's name and the word 'disconnected'. It loses impact.

quote:
The hills were separated from Summerset by a thin forest and behind him the hills gradually grew into sharp mountains.

Hilltop, hills, hills. Bad punctuation as well - there should be a comma there somewhere.

quote:
The only sound Charlie heard up here was the wind as his sword sliced open the air. The city of Summerset was a good distance in front of him, and he swung his sword in practice at its distant image.

Needs a grammar change as shown. Again repetition - using the word sword in two consecutive sentences.

quote:
He kept the sword moving in a constant flow and stopped thinking. He stopped thinking about his father’s projects, the work to be done in his father’s blacksmith shop, the hectic noise of Trade Street where he shared a home with all of Summerset’s craftsmen, and the sounds of the guards marching by on their rounds. The only images in

More repetition. It makes all this read very clunky. Needs rewriting I think.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
So Charlie is on a hilltop that overlooks a city, practicing with a sword, and he isn’t thinking some thoughts. For a brief moment I was interested in "sliced open the air," because it suggested opening a portal to elsewhere. It was a letdown that it’s just practice (it is a misleading phrase; I’m not suggesting a change to the story). So the most interesting thing here (IMHO) is the contrast of silence and the bustling city, which results from the distance. It’s not much to go on (yet). I want to like Charlie. I want to know what he cares about, why he’s up on the hill, why a craftsman is using a sword.

“Charlie felt disconnected. Disconnected and calm.” It doesn’t work to repeat “disconnected”. Disconnected from what? To me that word implies emotional entanglements that he has withdrawn from, for a time. I remember feeling that way when I was rebelling but not caring whether or not I got caught, and at other times while avoiding powerful negative feelings—it was easier to withdraw from them. It can be a loaded word if you give it a context. Without the context, I don’t care--it suggests to me that perhaps I as the reader should be disconnected from Charlie too.

“Summerset” and “city” are mentioned too many times. Suggest try paring all references to it down to one use of the name and one use of “city”. There is too much description about the relationship between the hill and the city.

“He stopped thinking about…” if he’s not thinking about it, I shouldn’t be reading about it. It feels like a contrived way of telling us information about the character’s backstory, instead of letting these facts be revealed in the course of a scene. Should the story begin in the blacksmith shop?

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zakattack
Member # 2272

Thanks for the critique!

What I want to get across is the mundane and repetitive lifestyle Charlie has ahead of him as his father is a blacksmith and has been teaching him and all Charlie knows about is being a blacksmith.

You know when you have that seemingly pointless job and you want to do something else but you just don't know anything else yet? I want the reader to realize Charlie is feeling this. His father makes swords for the city's guardsmen and Charlie likes to begin his days learning how to use a sword by mimicking the guards he sees for the sake of doing something new that actually interests him and wasn't thrust upon him by his father.

Eventually as the story progresses, the city will be besieged by a dragon and Charlie's father and his blacksmith shop will come to the unfortunate fate of destruction and Charlie will "lose everything he had" so to speak - and though he wasn't looking forward to it, he _knew_ it, and this will spark the big change/conflict in the novel.

Again, thanks for your comments and I will post a revised beginning soon.

*edit*
MrsBrown's idea of starting off in the blacksmith shop I am considering - though I don't know how much that will take away from the story since Charlie will be returning to the shop after practicing up on the hill and I don't want to repeat the scene.

[This message has been edited by zakattack (edited August 09, 2008).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
So why are you starting the novel where you are starting it?

It reads to me as if the start of this novel is you-the-writer thinking aloud about the background and set-up of the novel. There's nothing wrong with doing that to settle yourself into the story - but then you need to go back and learn where the story really starts.

If you want to show us Charlie's feeligns of disconnectedness, start with a scene that contrasts his physical actions (something dull in the forge - presumably, operating the bellows) with his dreams and fancies. That shows us teh disconnect, whereas at teh moment you are telling us he is disconnected, but not making us feel/share it.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of starting the story in the blacksmith shop where he is so disconnected that he is daydreaming of his morning practices and the calm that he finds on that hilltop. Then you could have him jarred back to the present by something unpleasant that comes from having to share Trade Street with everyone else.

I like what you’ve told us of what’s to come. He’s going to feel massively guilty when he gets the freedom he’s craved, at such a massive cost. He’ll be longing for a return to things that he starts out reviling. If you really want to twist the knife in your character (so to speak), you could have his life be spared only because he was away from the shop when he shouldn’t have been.

I’m interested, and that’s good. I do have to nitpick a little though.

Where you say “The hills were separated from Summerset by a…” you could say “He was separated from Summerset by a…” It takes the reader a little closer to your MC.

Also, the sword slicing open the air, it jolts me out of what’s happening because I start to think about the fact that air cannot be opened (unless we’re talking portals). Replace “open” with “through” and it’s a little more cliché, but very clear. Remove the word “open” entirely and you’re even better.

Overall, I want to get to know Charlie-the-wizard-who-doesn’t-want-to-be-a-blacksmith a little better. I’d love to read chapters.

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zakattack
Member # 2272

I have been rewriting the beginning far too many times I must've erased what I had and started over 10+ times.

Anyway, I like the idea of starting in the blacksmith shop, but I feel that an introduction like that would be kind of dull as the introduction to what i hope to be something epic.

This is where I started the new beginning: Charlie going to the tavern for "lunch" and meeting a man who comes from a town that was attacked by dragons. Then, after lunch, he will go back to the blacksmith shop and I will develop the disconnectedness and monotony there. Anyway, here are the new first 13 and I would be glad to send you what I have rewritten, so let me know! Thanks again in advance.

first 13:
-------------------------------
A shaggy man in a weathered leather tunic sat on the dirt patch outside of Tanner’s tavern, resting his head on his knees. The leather tunic stank as pungently as the cow he had gotten it from – and that cow must’ve been dead for quite a while. The patch of dirt, which had previously been green with grass and weeds, was enclosed by a rickety wooden fence that stood as tall as a grown man’s knee and was easily stepped over, but still Charlie swung open the iron gate and entered the civil way. The shaggy man’s head shot up.
“Hey, boy!” He shouted, rising up and stumbling. Charlie walked towards the tavern’s front door, ignoring the shaggy man.
“Boy!” The man shouted again. “I have matters,” he said, slurring. “Matters of importance!”
--------------------------------------------

zakattack
Member # 2272

Got more... looking for people willing to critique large chunk, send me an email: zakariaz.gerhard@gercom.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.