Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » YA novel

Author Topic: YA novel
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
So, this is not really fantasy or science fiction, but it does have an element of fantasy, so there you go. It's YA, complete at 65,000 words. Does it grab you? Confuse you? Would you want to read on?

On closing night of Much Ado about Nothing, I sat alone in the girl’s dressing room and prayed to Will Shakespeare to give me the courage to kiss Brandon Drake.
I had been madly in love with him for the five months, ever since he moved to Avery. Yet, for five months, we had been friends, nothing more. But, tonight. Tonight was my night. I could feel it.
I held up our paper program, and stared at the Xeroxed picture of Shakespeare with his big, frilly collar, his sly goatee. His play is what brought Brandon and I together in the first place, and I just knew that somehow, he would make the magic happen tonight. It was fate.
“Give me the courage,” I whispered, closing my eyes.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing I can see wrong with the writing - not my cup o' tea though. I know a girls crush on some guy she's in a play with is not a hook for me, but maybe it is for your target audience.

One small thing. To me it seems that the two are in a play, and the kiss takes place during this play, and its closing night. This would mean there was an opening night and - possibly some nights inbetween - during which the two would have performed the play and have to had kissed then, no?

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Its pretty clear, and I have a mild interest in seeing if she does kiss him, and how he reacts. Ditto to Devnal's reaction. Also, didn't they practice the part together? Was it always a pretend kiss? That's okay, it just needs to be said (but I can't picture a pretend kiss in a play...)

A couple of nits/suggestions:

“I had been madly in love with him for [the <-cut] five months, ever since he moved to Avery. Yet, [for five months, we had been]we were friends, nothing more.”

“But, tonight. Tonight was my night.” Suggest: “But tonight was my night.”

"His play [is what <-cut] brought "

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 27, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this guy is a stand in?

A little clarification would help. Is that on our belt? Clarifing cream of sorts?

Pal...pondering

[This message has been edited by Palaytiasdreams (edited August 27, 2008).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Ah, I can see the confusion. Actually, Brandon is in the cast, but Jane does not have a scripted kiss with him. She just wants to kiss him. I clarify that, literally in this next paragraph:

“Give me the courage,” I whispered, closing my eyes.

Note from Kathleen: If this is a rewrite, it can stay, but if it is just an addition, wrenbird, then it's more than 13 lines.

Just say, "Then she kisses his picture and goes on to plan how they will actually kiss somewhere backstage."

Does this clear it up enough, or should I be more precise? Should I mention this sooner?

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited August 27, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 27, 2008).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrenbird, the kissing didn't confuse me, but then I also know the play. It would be nice to know if they were the MCs in the play which I've assumed.

The writing is strong and I would read on.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the writing was good, especially the 4:38 re-write/addition.

If you are pitching this as a fantasy, you might try to give some hint of the fantasy element very early--if not in the first 13 then soon afterwards. I can see how the appeals to Shakespeare might develop into a fantasy element, and maybe a strong pitch in a query can get past this issue, but if you can solve it....

Good luck.

Nit:
I sat alone in the girl’s [girls'] dressing room

Bill

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I too enjoyed it and would read on.

Pal...

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Oops, sorry Kathleen. I didn't realize that you couldn't post more than 13 lines total.

As to the rest, thanks for the replies. I'll post a revision soon.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
wrenbird, if you're doing a novel, you can post the first 13 lines of each chapter, but not more than the first 13 lines.

I know, it's picky, but the idea is that 13 lines is a small enough part of a chapter (or a short story) that it will protect your first publication rights.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I dig it,

If you are looking for readers send it over. I love reading High School/Lovey dovey type stories, which I know is kind of an oddity here.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.