Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Last Prince - Fantasy/Comedy

Author Topic: The Last Prince - Fantasy/Comedy
TBeard
Member # 8210

- posted      Profile for TBeard   Email TBeard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on this story for a little over a month now. I've got about 11,500 words so far, and the major conflict is finally becoming clear to the main character. Here's my first thirteen.

Questions? Comments? If anyone is interested in reading what I've got so far, by all means let me know and I'll email it to you. Thanks for the help.

Comfortable. One wouldn’t expect it, but there you are: head firmly wedged between his ankles, the bones of his under-muscular buttocks pressed firmly against the plastic of the trashcan, and yet somehow the gentle pressure on his shoulders and ribs made all the difference in the world. Ray could imagine his cares soaking out of his back until all was a blissful daze in a world filled with waste paper and used coffee grounds.
In fact, Ray was almost – almost – disappointed when a face peered over the rim of his spot and broke his inner peace. Rather than blissful, this face was old, pudgy, beaded with sweat, and topped with the hat of a uniformed police officer. It was the face of a man who didn’t want to be here. It was the

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 16, 2008).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually really liked this, seems dark in some way - almost leading to the question "does this kid like to be picked on?" does he go out of his way to get stuffed into a garbage can, what the hell else does he like?

My major problem was with the first line

"Comfortable. One wouldn’t expect it, but there you are: head firmly wedged between his ankles, the bones of his under-muscular "

"but there you are" is confusing wording because your move to third person next. I had to read it over a couple of times to understand it was just a rhetorical statement, but its a statment that would be made if this was in first person (even then it would be confusing as part of the second sentence of a story) I would suggest starting something like "Most people wouldn't expect it, but Ray was comfortable.." I realize that's a pretty weak beginning, but something along those lines.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBeard
Member # 8210

Okay, yeah. I initially started this paragraph in first person, but I converted to third later on. That must be a holdover from my old form. Thanks, I'll change that.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
A kid stuffed into a trash can? I thought it was a homeless person who had found himself a tight spot to hole up in (maybe the can was overturned?). I expected the peering face to be another homeless guy looking for food. The cop calling this person "wuss" was too subtle for me to pick up on your intention.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBeard
Member # 8210

Well, it's not a kid being bullied, nor is it a homeless person. I was trying to set the setting and then tell you what's going on, but the explanation is the whole first chapter.

Are you at least interested?

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally read on. I love it. I don't care that I don't know why he's in there, or what his situation is (kid, homeless, etc.). He does seem like a youth, though.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Esso
Member # 8214

- posted      Profile for Esso   Email Esso         Edit/Delete Post 
Tbeard, you definitely hooked me. I don't know what's going on with Ray, but I want to find out more. Good job!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I feel better knowing he's not a kid (I didn't completely miss something). Yes, I would definitely read on--I want to know how he's going to get out of there, and what he's doing in there in the first place. This guy seems either really pitiful, or very well grounded, and I can't tell which yet.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 16, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBeard
Member # 8210

Anyone care to read what I've got? I'm up to 13000 words now.
Esso
Member # 8214

- posted      Profile for Esso   Email Esso         Edit/Delete Post 
No takers so far? I can read through it, TBeard. Let me know what you expect in the way of an edit, and I'll have a go. Email me offline at 'esowens@sbcglobal.net' if you're interested.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.