Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Iscariot -- SF

Author Topic: Iscariot -- SF
Mumbles16
Member # 8196

- posted      Profile for Mumbles16   Email Mumbles16         Edit/Delete Post 
The code written on Jay’s uniform was faded, the strings were frayed and the ‘J’ in the designation 1127-J had all but disappeared; but even in the lack of that one seemingly insignificant consonant there was freedom. Though the boy awoke every day to sweep the same corridors, to dust the same tapestries, to shine the same edifices, that single absent alphanumeric swoosh gave him imagination. He could come up with a hundred different stories to fill the space vacated by that 'J.' This was not because he enjoyed a good lie, but because he was enraptured by the unique, the spectacular, the imaginative, the incredible and the unbelievable.

[This message has been edited by Mumbles16 (edited October 07, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Mumbles16 (edited October 07, 2008).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevindouglas
Member # 8236

- posted      Profile for kevindouglas   Email kevindouglas         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep reading because I am curious. It just needs to be tightened up. Good work on character development and imagery, there's just some redundancy and superfluous descriptions.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
its an interesting beginning. im not sure im 'hooked' (if that is important to you). i am curious about the title-- how it will unfold.

the sentences seem long to me, perhaps could be tightened a bit.

im also having trouble with the word 'enraptured'. maybe its just me, but it gives me kind of a strange image --i cant think of better word off the top of my head though. JMHO

it does introduce the character well, i think. good start.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Crash
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for Snow Crash           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. It is very well written. The sentences flow together nicely, and after reading many posts on here it's nice to read something that isn't trying to be dramatic at the start. In so many cases, a dramatic or complicated situational start can be off putting. This is nice, you start with the character, and in only a few sentences you've already built up a picture of this characters life. What's interesting to me is that you start with a character that has a rather bland life, than something miniscule, almost insignificant happens, and it's the best thing that's happened to him for years. Even though it's just a J, it's enough to spark his imagination onto wonderous possibilities. This simplicity of showing a vivid imagination is a great way of establishing a connection between an older reader and a young character.
So I like it, not much need for improvement. Good work and keep it up!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erice W
Member # 8268

- posted      Profile for Erice W           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely hooked with the sory and I love the imagery that you presented. I don't really have any gripes with it, though. I liked the way you used your words and you could probably teach me a thing or two actually.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.