Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Darwin (Revised)

Author Topic: Darwin (Revised)
rippamate
Member # 8300

- posted      Profile for rippamate   Email rippamate         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright I've revised the start, hopefully it make more sense. The first section which i've mark for your benefit is a start clip memory which a reader will see at the beginning of each chapter.
Feedback on style, new clarity, grippingness etc would be appreciated.

///One would usually tell people what they’ve created. Yet in this circumstance it is a matter of question. If the world did know, they would be worried indeed. But others, others would take it as an opportunity.
Yet, if this were to be hidden, to be known by bar a chosen few, would this discovery in the right hands be extraordinarily useful?
Matt stared at the computer screen, at his accidental invention. A system that had silent access to every single other operating device in the world.
Intriguingly dangerous.///

20th April 2012, Darwin, Australia:

Saturday. The weekend could not have begun so remarkably...

[This message has been edited by rippamate (edited December 04, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 04, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by rippamate (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeMaz
Member # 8241

- posted      Profile for JoeMaz   Email JoeMaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how someone would create that on accident, but I'm interested.

I've made a few small revisions...

///One usually toll people what they’ve created. Yet in this circumstance that was a matter of question. If the world knew, they would be worried indeed. But others- others would take it as an opportunity.
Yet, if this were to be hidden, to be known by only the chosen few; wouldn't this discovery in the right hands be extraordinarily useful?
Matt stared at the computer screen, at his accidental invention. A system that had silent access to every single operating device (network? computer? what exactly is an "operating device) in the world.

20th April 2012, Darwin, Australia:

Saturday. The weekend could not have begun so remarkably; fresh coffee, toast, the morning paper. More then that though, it was the “not having to care” part that topped it all off.
Normally Roberts was...

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rippamate
Member # 8300

yes you have a good point on that 'operating device', its computer but i used it in the above sentence so yeah, my autism at work.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the stuff between the /// supposed to be part of the 13 lines? If so, you've gone way over 13 lines here.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rippamate
Member # 8300

ah, no i havn't, unless you count the spaces which i can get rid if its really that bad.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't count the spaces.

If you're using the correct font (12-point courier), you are way over 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rippamate
Member # 8300

Right, sorry. You have changed thanks.
now back to the feedback if we will, anyone wish to comment?

Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the edits by JoeMaz. The subject matter of your first 13 was interesting, but the sentence structures were confusing. I always have to give myself the same advice I'm going to give you...Clarity trumps style. Always. Don't worry about how the words flow, get beauty out of your head. Say it clearly. If the thought is beautiful or interesting, then the words will be, too.

Here are a few more edits to improve clarity and flow of thought:

///Matt stared at the computer screen, at his accidental invention. A system that had silent access to every single operating device in the world.
One would usually tell people what they’ve created. But in this circumstance that was a matter of question. If the world knew, they would be worried indeed. But others- others would take it as an opportunity.
Yet, if this were to be hidden, to be known by only the chosen few; wouldn't this discovery be extraordinarily useful in the right hands?

It's definitely not perfect. But I think that the reader is dumped right into Matt's thoughts this way, without having to wonder about what he's thinking through the first two paragraphs.

Intriguing idea. It sounds like your story could be a lot of fun to read.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Hammer (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to suggest that folks might get more out of crits if you tell them why you made the changes that you did, rather than just rewriting their words. Why does it improve flow? Did you cut back extraneous words? Why is it more clear? Was there a misplaced modifier? Were you confused about something in particular?

Anyone can rewrite something to their taste. I think the better approach is to suggest why something isn't working.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing.

I didn't rewrite anything. I just changed the order of the sentences. I thought that I had explained why I did it, but obviously I need a little more work on my own clarity!

In the original 13, it was unclear what Matt had created and why it was important, until the second to last sentence. I cut and pasted that information to the beginning so that there was never one question in the reader's mind as to what the character was thinking about or referring to. I did this to illustrate my point, not to actually make any re-writes.

Oh, whoops...I also moved the phrase "in the right hands" so that the sentence would make sense. I had to read the original twice just to comprehend its meaning. I assume that JoeMaz's edits were for the same purpose. He mostly just removed a few words so that the sentences were not as complex and unclear.

Does that make sense now? Thanks for the reminder to explain fully. We can't be helpful otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Hammer (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rippamate
Member # 8300

But i want them to question, its what brings them into the book in the first place.
Can i not do that?

Which leads me to think that my sentence clarity is a bit clammy, not my story structure.

[This message has been edited by rippamate (edited December 05, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

It depends on what questions they're asking, rippamate.

You don't want them to ask the Faith, Hope, and Clarity questions (from OSC): "oh, yeah?" and "so what?" and "huh?"

You want them to ask "what happens next?" and "how does he get out of that?" and "why did that happen?"

Feedback that tells you your readers are asking the Faith, Hope, and Clarity questions means you need to figure out how to rewrite so they don't ask those questions.

rippamate
Member # 8300

Ah yes, good point. I should read that book again, to check up on myself.
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the premise, although by "operating device" I imagined you meant "operating system". I can quite believe an accidental invention--I've done it myself once or twice by writing software that does more than I expected--but I might have trouble believing access to every single other system in the world: since the idea is intriguing I'd read on, for a while, hoping to be convinced.

The first part is strange to my eyes, maybe philosophical but risking a slide into pretentiousness; I'd tolerate it for a while, to see if it adds value to the story.

I did have some trouble with the English in the first few sentences.

"One would usually tell people what they’ve created" -- it seems to me that "they've" refers to "people" but I think you mean "one", and if so, it should perhaps read, "One would usually tell people what one has created".

"Yet in this circumstance" --what circumstance, I wondered. I would rather have been told about the magic computer hack first, then his thoughts on whether to share it, because then I'd have known what he was thinking about and it would have made more sense. As it stands, I had to read it twice to get it, and thought that if I have to read everything twice in this story, pace will suffer and it will take a long time to read.

"to be known by bar a chosen few" --makes no sense to me. If the chosen few are barred, who's left to know it? Do you mean "to be known by but a chosen few"?

In the sentence beginning with "Yet", how about eliminating one of the "this"s?

I wonder about the title because, not being an Aussie, I associate "Darwin" more with the man than the place. I was expecting a story of evolution and a ship named Beagle.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rippamate
Member # 8300

Ya it is an operating system, and he accedently scripted it, it tells you in more etail later in the story.
And yes you pointed out some mistakes there. my syntax is pretty horrible, i mean to go back an edit it. so thanks for pointing that out.
As for the Darwin thing lol, that is really a broader plot device (thats probably not what you would call it.) the story could have been set anywhere. But for the broader scale of things and my wanting of logical coolness Darwin was the optimum choice.
But yeah as for the title well, hopefully that'll attract evolutionist (hmm can put that in query letter)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.