Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First Fantasy Attempt

Author Topic: First Fantasy Attempt
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, boring from my typical genre's of writing, I've decided to begin a fantasy novel. I don't have much written yet, but I could definitely use some feedback.

I'm at a rut in my writing. I find myself uninterested in my stories after a certain point, which is bad. If I'm not interested then surely my audience won't be. I have several theories about what it is I'm stuck on, but I'll leave it to you guys to tell me what you think.

I'm not so much concerned with grammar or technicalities--Feel free to tell me about them--but what I really need advice on is the content.

Did you enjoy reading it?
Was the hook ok?
Did you need to reread any sentences?
Etc.

Anyways, I thank you all in advance for any helpful advice you can give. And please--tell me even the smallest of issues--at this point I'm willing to try anything to get out of this rut.

V2.

I tried rewriting it completely. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but please tell me what you think.

quote:
Emmy furrowed her brows, watching the ten thousand soldiers of the late king build campfires in the distance. She slammed her fist against the cold stone of the tower. They could run no further, trapped between the army and the end of the world—the Great Nothing. The townsfolk, what remained of the Chavalkian Kingdom, had no means to protect themselves from the onslaught of soldiers to come.
She sighed and peered out over the village, running fingers through her long and dark hair. John, her protector and friend, knelt under a tall marble statue of the Earth Mother. A pang of guilt surged through her. He would die with Emmy, a traitor to the kingdom he loved, forsaken by his family. His trust in her had cost him everything.

V1.

quote:
Emmy slammed the oak door shut, and sighed, running her bony fingers through her long and dark hair. Think dammit! John beat his fists on the outside of the door. "Not now," her voice boomed, echoing the log cabin. Her head throbbed in agony with every heartbeat. They can't be telling the truth—not after all we've been through—how far we've come. The churchyard bells tolled, vibrating dust through thick patches of light behind the curtains. Hundreds of miles from home, an entire army hacking at her heels, she found the end of the world—The Great Nothing—right on top of the Chavalkian Kingdom. She struck her fist to the wall. There is an answer, dammit, search for it.

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like things are cooking!

If you're having trouble sustaining this level excitement, I'm not at all surprised.
This may not have bearing on you particularly, but I've found (and seen lots of other people say the same) that sometimes it's that the story has gone off-track (and won't be written the wrong way), but more usually that the story doesn't have enough tension, that scenes are segueing without having their own antagonist, be it the hero's best friend, for that moment. The middle is the hardest part. The action needs to keep coming, making way for the end from the beginning, but it can't be the big, pretty mess of a climax yet.

For troubleshooting this sort of thing there are some really great books, of which Orson Scott Card's Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction is one. That book pretty much covers everything about writing and doesn't pull punches, so no matter the level of the writer, it has bearing.

This just to say, it's not the stories, or even your ability to write that's lacking. You may need to find what it is you're losing hold of when into the story, though.
Or it may be that you just need to power through. In most of the novels I've finished the middle has felt like a real drag, but re-reading it, I'm never sure where the drag began or ended. It sounds about as good!

Marathon principle I guess.

Just want to encourage you! You sound a bit down...

[This message has been edited by ArachneWeave (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gan OK I'm ill at ease with what the hook is here// really didn't catch it/// the MC doesn't want to respond to John // but no clue as to why for me // the army on her heels= hers or chasing her?//Can you move the sequence around to show whether she is sighing because of (insert reason)? If the army is chasing her I need to get a sense that she is panicked, not sighing maybe?/ if it's her army is she sighing because there are more no lands to conquer? I don't know whether to hope her and John get together or worry for her at this point without it more obvious for me hope this helps
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks both of you. Arachne, I have that book, but I haven't picked it up in a long time, I'll go take a look again I'm fairly certain its not just the typical "drag" that goes on in the middle--I mean, it could be--but it just seems that I myself lose interest in all of my characters, and the stories that follow them. You've definitely given me some inspiration though--I'll take a look through some older writing, and try to decipher what it might be.

Honu, thank you for your comments. I originally wrote this to be near the end of the story, which is why it might seem to be lacking some of that information. I'll take a look and make sure everything is explained clearly at some point--I'm just afraid to explain too much too soon, as I don't want to info dump. When I get the time to look through it I'll try and make some revisions.

Thanks guys.

Edit: I've changed a word in the sentence explaining the army at her heels. See if this makes the situation any clearer.

Double Edit: After looking through some of my older writing, I've definitely found a lack of antagonist present. Perhaps I need to characterize the antagonists better--it seems I'm afraid to introduce them--I'll try it out and get back to you. Thanks Arachne.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I was really confused by these first 13. Partly the lack of paragraph breaks (yeah I know grammar's not the main concern but it threw me) and partly the story context seemed to jump with every sentence.

Emmy slammed the oak door shut, and sighed, running her bony fingers through her long and dark hair. Think damnit!
Okay, a woman on the run from something or someone, probably an old woman because of the bony hands.

John beat his fists on the outside of the door.
So she's running from John. So far, so good.

"Not now," her voice boomed, echoing the log cabin.
First confusion. This doesn't sound like something you'd say to an attacker. And her voice booming makes her sound powerful.

Her head throbbed in agony with every heartbeat. They can't be telling the truth—not after all we've been through—how far we've come.
Who are they? What did they tell her? Right now I'm lost enough about what's going on that it's more irritating than suspenseful not to be told. And is "we" Emmy and John? Does that make him a friend? If so, why's he trying to beat down the door?

The churchyard bells tolled, vibrating dust through thick patches of light behind the curtains.
Okay, this tells me more about the log cabin, but in her panicked state, is she really paying attention to the minute vibrations in dust motes behind the curtains? I also don't understand the significance of church bells - makes me think of an imminent disaster for the town.

Hundreds of miles from home, an entire army hacking at her heels, she found the end of the world—The Great Nothing—right on top of the Chavalkian Kingdom.
Huh? She's not hundreds of miles from home, she's in her home, isn't she? This is too much unconnected information for me at this point, and the sentence structure is unclear, with the "entire army hacking at her heels" - now I'm trying to figure out if that's what she's running from.

She struck her fist to the wall. There is an answer, dammit, search for it.
An answer to what? I still don't understand the question.

[This message has been edited by Pyraxis (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wufiavelli
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Wufiavelli   Email Wufiavelli         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely something I want to read. It is the army and ends of the world part that grabs me the most. But it really seems to awkwardly fit in with the rest. Might suggest starting broad and ending narrow. Start with the description of the armies and end of world, then to her actions inside searching.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks guys, I'll be doing a rewrite at some point today. I think perhaps some of the confusion stems from my own confusion--I'll try and figure some things out before the rewrite.
Gan
Member # 8405

Alrighty. I tried rewriting it completely. Tell me what you think. Thanks guys.
Wufiavelli
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Wufiavelli   Email Wufiavelli         Edit/Delete Post 
I will give it my amateur thumbs up.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesn't sound offensive- I'm just being honest:
The "Great Nothing" sounds cheesy to me. And it's to reminiscent of The Neverending Story.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Tim--No its fine. I've changed that already anyways

Although, I have to say in my defense, I've never seen The Neverending Story, so I had no idea it was used there.

Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now I'm interested - mostly by the idea of Emmy being in charge of a whole village's worth of people on the run. I really want to know how she's going to get her people out of this one without too many lives being lost.

I'm still confused by the setting, though. They've been running, but she's in a tower? Is she in the castle of some ally lord or something? Her peering out at a village makes it sound like she's in a permanent settlement, which conflicts with the idea of them running - I would have expected a cluster of hastily pitched tents, or wagons at best. And a tall marble statue makes the place sound rich.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.