Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » In Between

Author Topic: In Between
ralphfoxchase
Member # 8536

- posted      Profile for ralphfoxchase   Email ralphfoxchase         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 100,000 or so words into this and almost done the first draft. I have resisted the urge to start any rewrites other than these 13 lines. I'll throw this out and take my licks. LOL

Prudence Richardson was sound asleep. The droning of the plane’s engines and the dim lights of the cabin made it impossible to resist. She woke suddenly, banging her head hard against what she expected was the window frame next to her. She opened her eyes and was blinded by the sun. When she reached up to rub her head, her fingers tangled in a cool metal chain. None of this belonged on a plane. She was no longer in seat 23A. She felt a wave of panic course through her. Prudence was curled up leaning against the side of a old wooden farm wagon. The floor was strewn with filthy rough straw. Four other people were lined up in front of her; their long scraggly hair obscured their faces. They were dressed in rough hand woven cloth in various drab colors and degrees of disrepair. Each sat

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 25, 2009).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, congratulations on the length, and being almost finished. Very impressive.

My general impression of your first thirteen is that you start to many sentences with She.

I think there is a hook here, how did she get from a plane, to being chained up in another world? I immediately think that it is either a dream, or Prudence must be a really deep sleeper.

I don't really buy that she could leave a plane, be taken, or crash, and not wake up. That seems weird. Was she drugged, or magically induced in a coma? A clue, like a taste of sulfur in her mouth, would make the situation more plausable.

Good luck with it,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really buy that she could leave a plane, be taken, or crash, and not wake up. That seems weird. Was she drugged, or magically induced in a coma? A clue, like a taste of sulfur in her mouth, would make the situation more plausable.

Or, have her wonder how she got there and note the absence anything that could cause that. You bring up a question that readers will want answered and at least addressing the question (whether fully answered or not) may help the reader be drawn in to find out the answer.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugsspot
Member # 8539

- posted      Profile for fugsspot           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of the comments made:

that many of your sentences begin with "she", which stands out strongly because you have a direct style and your sentences are short. (hard for me to talk, though, since my worst habit has always been wordy-ness)

When reading this, I wanted to know more about what she thought or felt. Otherwise she only has the one "wave of panic" for the whole transition. I think the suggestion earlier about a "sulfur taste" is a clever solution; something as simple taste or smell is a good way to bring in sensory elements without distracting from your style.

I personally like the hook. I know alot depends on what continues on line 14, but I'd be interested to find out what had happened.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
The waking up in a different place is a bit too pat. Perhaps this belongs in a different place where she is remembering how she got where she is.

When I read cool metal chain, I was thinking of a necklace.
When I read rough woven clothes, I wondered what was she wearing. Why wouldn't she check?

You waste valuable First 13 real estate with the cart and not enough with how freaked out Prudence must be. She has a bolt of panic, then you defuse it with description.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
made it impossible to resist My first thought was "impossible to resist what?" Waking up? Sleeping? Because she is *already* asleep, this sentence should probably be past perfect, ie "had made it impossible to resist". Thus, she is asleep, and we now know the reason (as well as the setting she expects to find herself in).

Part of the "too many She" complaints may arise from the short objective statements She was no longer in seat 23A. She felt a wave of panic course through her.

I found the what she expected to be awkward, but have no alternative suggestions here except that it implies she stopped and thought about it in this otherwise flowing action sequence.

I found none of this to be misleading. The only thing the reader has convincingly determined to be out of place is the chain - the sunlight and the faceplant could have been occuring on the plane (through the window, the bulkhead).

I felt that where this was going was good, but the causality of the first section seemed a little disjointed for me. I tend to analyse action logic in terms of Motivation->Reaction cycles. Thus (bear with me)

R1Prudence Richardson was sound asleep. M1The droning of the plane’s engines and the dim lights of the cabin made it impossible to resist. R2She woke suddenly, M3banging her head hard against what she expected was the window frame next to her. R3She opened her eyes and was M4blinded by the sun. When she R3reached up to rub her head, her fingers M5tangled in a cool metal chain. R5None of this belonged on a plane. R5She was no longer in seat 23A. R5She felt a wave of panic course through her. M6Prudence was curled up leaning against the side of a old wooden farm wagon. The floor was strewn with filthy rough straw. Four other people were lined up in front of her; their long scraggly hair obscured their faces. They were dressed in rough hand woven cloth in various drab colors and degrees of disrepair. Each sat

In this example then, R1->M1 works (the motivation is shown after as a flashback, but that's fine, we started with action).
Reaction R2 doesn't have a cause. This leaves the reader with an unanswered question (why?) very early, and the character is not acting as the reader expects => disconnect.
M3->R3 works, though as I said earlier, the 'expected' bit might need thought, because we're seeing it through her PoV, and she can't know that it's 'expecting', she thinks it 'is'.
I don't consider the 'blinded' in M4 to be reaction, rather a motivation for some action (blinking eyes etc) which is never shown; it therefore currently seems to serve no purpose.
the M5->R5 sequence is generally fine, however the multiple actions could probably be merged into one sentence (ie, "She felt a wave of panic course through her as she realised none of this belonged on a plane" - the seat 23A thing appears to be superfluous).
M6 is fine, as we expect it to lead us on to what happens on the next page.

With a few minor tweaks I'd definitely turn the page.

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited March 25, 2009).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ade
Member # 8544

- posted      Profile for ade           Edit/Delete Post 
Really good start that grabbed my attention straight off.
A few minor points:

We don't find out what banged the side of her head.

I think it could be made slightly more personal than it is. For example, rather than 'she reached up to rub her head' could become 'reaching up she rubbed her head.'

Secondly, the line 'none of this belonged on a plane' jarred me a little; at this stage it could be argued that it was only the chain that may have been out of place - you can have direct sun into a plane cabin for instance. Changing it to 'This did not belong on a plane' solves it.

I think the sentence 'She felt a wave of panic coarse through her' could be left until after she sees the four other people - gives it more creedence. In fact I would have preferred to read what she experienced: sick feeling, looking round wildly the floor was strewn... etc.

I would definitely want to read on. Sounds very promising.

Good luck

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.