Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Kingsworn 13

Author Topic: Kingsworn 13
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. This is the first thirteen lines of Kingsworn, first book in my fantasy Gods of Alder series. The novel is 145k words, give or take.

“Lord Harvais of Twotowns has expressed displeasure at the size of his chambers. He claims that the pavilion he brought along would be far more comfortable if he simply slept out in the camps with his men.”
Lord Calein Tyrsen stood in front of the large window of tempered glass ordered at no small expense from Tyaona, looking out over Caltrop below and beyond to the harbor. Though he seemed intent on the view, Valla was certain he could have easily repeated back every word of her so-far lengthy report.

Any thoughts you guys might have would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 04, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited April 04, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogmatic
Member # 8425

- posted      Profile for Dogmatic   Email Dogmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Natej11,
I like the description and setup but it seems to full of exposition and setting without moving us into the story. Although I am somewhat tired of everything having to have a hook within the first 13 lines I understand a publishers need for it and do feel it may be needed here.

I would rather hear more about the character or emotion in the first paragraph then the setting. Perhaps a hint at what darkness he may be hiding? Vagueness of a character isn't interesting at the beginning of a story unless you're quickly going to delve into it in the next paragraph.

But like I said I liked your description and setting. Thanks for sharing
Steve

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Thanks Steve, I was looking at that descriptive paragraph myself and thinking it could be moved down a bit, fit some more dialogue in before describing the office. I'll give it a bit of reworking and see if I can't brighten it up.

Nate.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Please read this topic:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum6/HTML/000004.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Sorry about that. I figured it meant first 13 sentences. First timer's mistake >.<

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.