Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » "A Journey's Beginning", first 13 lines. Please read and comment.

Author Topic: "A Journey's Beginning", first 13 lines. Please read and comment.
Collin
Member # 8522

- posted      Profile for Collin   Email Collin         Edit/Delete Post 
Seracklen walked as if in a trance. He spoke not even a word as his feet landed heavily on the burnt ground, one after the other. His bright blue hair did not shine tonight like it usually did as it flowed behind him in the wind, soaked with sweat and covered in so much mud it seemed almost brown. His gleaming white robe was tattered and ripped from battle, his boots no longer shining brightly in the night, but glooming almost sadly in unison with it. He paid no attention to the cheers of the soldiers around him even though they could have been heard by a deaf man with all their enthusiasm. Seracklen simply walked on with the stately manner of the king he was. All of his attention was focused on one thing only.

[This message has been edited by Collin (edited May 20, 2009).]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
The sort of remote perspective makes it hard for me to be engaged. Also, you've got almost all description here. The hook seems to come at the very end--the one thing he's focused on. My suggestion is to get into his head and let us see what he's focused on.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarciusAlman
Member # 8619

- posted      Profile for MarciusAlman   Email MarciusAlman         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in no way an expert on grammar, however, I will do my best. At best, I can tell you what is awkward...

"He spoke not even a word as his feet landed heavily on the burnt ground, one after the other" - If others are there, it might be helpful to tell the scene from their POV. Plus, the last bit of the line was awkward, as if the "one after another" was modifying the ground, not the action of his feet.

"His bright blue hair did not shine tonight like it usually did as it flowed behind him in the wind, soaked with sweat and covered in so much mud it seemed almost brown." All of the pieces are there, but I would move it around a bit...maybe something like this "Soaked with sweat and covered in so much mud it seemed almost brown, his bright blue hair did not shine tonight like it usually did as it flowed behind him in the wind."

"His gleaming white robe was tattered and ripped from battle, his boots no longer shining brightly in the night, but glooming almost sadly in unison with the night" This sentence is just awkward. I would rework it. I can see that you are trying to set a mood with it, but it is just off.

"He paid no attention to the cheers of the soldiers around him even though they could have been heard by a deaf man with all their enthusiasm" I really like this sentence...it really "pops" and is a great contrast to the mood the MC is in. Which will set up this...

"Seracklen simply walked on with the stately manner of the king he was." We are establishing that he is a king or ruler of some sort, but the mood speaks of a "dead man walking"...someone walking to the gallows.

So, in the opening, we have an idea of the MC's physical attribute...though we will need to see a few more. He is regal...but dead inside (or that is the feeling I get). So, the transition from physical description to mental state can be flawless if you can link the outward results of whatever happened to his physical stature to his mental state.

All in all, good stuff. Keep writing.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested by his looks (I think it was the blue hair). But then you talked about his normally shiny boots "glooming." I think gloom makes an awkward verb and kind of giggled because I got a visual of boots frowning at people. I did like the other visuals: blue on white all covered with mud. Except I wasn't sure if you meant "shine" as in "glow in the dark" or regular, old "shiny." What got my attention in this, like I said, were his strange physical characteristics. But should they dominate the whole section? I don't know.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.