Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » "Exile" - Historical Fiction 10,000 words +

Author Topic: "Exile" - Historical Fiction 10,000 words +
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've been giving a couple of critiques, I thought I'd give some of them the chance to dig into me.

My new Historical Fiction, (tentatively) entitled Exile:

quote:

Groth followed his father, Am Brae, into the white-coated woods. He carried his atlatl and long-darts gripped in his right fist, like his father. If they came on any prey, Groth didn't want to fumble with his weapon and cause their quarry to flee; game was harder and harder to come by. Worse: It would disappoint Am Brae. Groth worked hard to avoid father's stone-face stare. He was the chief's only son, and it would be a bad omen to fail the hunt which was to be his rite of passage. Fail twice, under clan law, and he would be exiled.
Am Brae moved quietly through the powdery snow, sliding his feet underneath the fluffy cover to muffle his steps. He looked back on Groth with a flare of pride. The boy mimicked him. They tracked a vicious beast, one that could kill them as easily as they it.

(This is two words over 13 lines.)

Alternate Opening Below!

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 02, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
"Since I've been giving a couple of critiques, I thought I'd give some of them the chance to dig into me." Them who? The critiques?

Rolls up sleeves… My take:

Your title foreshadows his failure. I like the tension of this hunt’s stakes (and its danger); interesting situation. Good characterization so far. Setting is just a tad thin, and the amount of backstory might be a bit too much this early. POV shifts from son to father in the second paragraph smoothly, but I would need to read more to see if you can get away with it. I like the varied sentence lengths; you use short sentences to good effect.

“white-coated woods” made me think of white-wash paint, or white coats hanging from tree branches, or …? It took a bit to think snow. Maybe move the (excellent) sentence about walking through the snow into 2nd place? (Although its good where it is.)

I like the weaponry. “like his father” makes sense, you’re showing the leader-follower role, but father is used several times. Perhaps: as he had been taught. Or: Each clansman/hunter/warrior carried his… (scratch that; sounds like more than two)

“harder and harder to come by” gives us two extra words where we could find out why instead: game was harder to come by as winter deepened.

I stumbled on the colon; prefer a comma: “Worse, it would…”

“Groth worked hard to avoid father's” If he’s using it as a name, should it be Father’s? his father’s? stone-faced stare—effective!

“He was the chief's only son” He who? I paused, not sure exactly who you meant. Had to read more to be sure. Would prefer if you state that Am Brae is the chief.

So this hunt is his rite of passage? Maybe say “this hunt”. Would he really call it a rite of passage?

Failing under clan law? Or Exiled under clan law? I know both apply, but it seemed a tiny bit off. Suggest: “Fail twice, and, under clan law, he would be exiled.” Meh, too many commas. I liked it fine as-is on the first reading.

“as easily as they it” sounds awkward.

“any prey”, “quarry”, “game” sounds like they will attack whatever placid creature they happen to find.
“tracked a vicious beast” sounds like the father knows something that the boy doesn’t, but I didn’t pick up on it right away. Instead it struck me as withholding and ambivalent. Perhaps say: His son didn’t realize that he tracked a… And if they are tracking it, he knows what it is. You don’t need a sentence to explain the mooncat—why not call it a vicious bear or whatever?

I’m nothing if not picky! Take what you like and leave the rest. Overall, I am intrigued.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited May 21, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of silver birch trees. It was only when i read the above crit I realised it was snow.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. skadder, I would have thought that the first line of the second paragraph would have cleared that up( ):

Am Brae moved quietly through the powdery snow, sliding his feet underneath the fluffy cover to muffle his steps.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
You got me interested. From an opening like that I'd expect to like the rest of the book. I thought (in my opinion) you did a good job of showing rather than telling. And I was going to give you props for inventing such a linguistically sound word (atlatl, I studied ling in school and I'm a nerd) but then I googled it and found out it IS real. Ha ha.

The perspective switch did give me a tiny pause, but I think that's expected. It was interesting to know the father's thoughts. His son is so concerned with making his father proud that I didn't expect him (the father) to actually be proud. I think that means you did a good job, because I was totally in the kid's head.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
Am Brae moved quietly through the powdery snow, sliding his feet underneath the fluffy cover to muffle his steps.

...er, yes. Must have missed that line! Probably as I only read the first paragraph.

Still, I would have had to change the mental image created in a preceeding paragraph, had I read it. It's one thing to wait a sentence to clear up something, quite another to wait a paragraph.

The only benefit of 'white-coated woods' is its poetic element, but you shouldn't substitute poetry for clarity. You could use the line elsewhere later and insert something a little clearer up front.

(You probably just think I am being thick! Possible.)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 22, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

(um, was I too hard on our IB?)
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I automatically picture "white-coated" in a setting as snow. It might be because I live in Maine. I'll have to think about that one...I don't want to get bogged down with description at the beginning--when I need to set things in motion--and I guess it only really matters if it would stop you from going on to the fourteenth line. I've already discussed with a friend what possible "indicator words" I could use early on to show this is in omniscient, rather than 3pl. Maybe lengthening the setting description could serve in that capacity.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

lol, MrsBrown! No, you weren't. The only reason I'm discussing anything with skadder is that there was a point of contention. Feel free to tear right into the discussion.
skadder
Member # 6757

I think the first paragraph reads like Groth's POV; I think if you want to establish omniscient POV from the get-go, why not start with a view of something neither could see? Some snow sliding of tree onto Groths' back...something like that.

I think that establishes the nature of the POV more clearly than a swift POV change after a paragraph--sure that does the trick but it feels a little jarring.

So, yes, I agree a little setting first (that is preferably outside of their vision, e.g. Though the snow clouds swirled above them, neither hunter noticed. Their eyes flicked from one paw print in the snow to the next--the Yeti was near and hungry...) you can etablish your omniscient better.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 22, 2009).]

sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because it's 80 degrees here, but I had the same issue with white-coated. There was nothing in the scene that indicated cold so I didn't instantly think snow, even though that's the obvious choice.

I like skadder's suggestion of mentioning something neither of the characters could see to indicate omniscient.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

skadder, after I clean a loose thread up, would you like to take a look and see where it's headed? I wouldn't mind an objective PoV.
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, I can look at the first 1000 words or so--but not 10k...I haven't the time, I am afraid, for anything that length--I have some personal stuff going on at the moment.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks, a partial is in the email. It's about 3k, but the format only takes about 9 pages. Stop wherever you want.
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add in some details, and fix a few grammatical stuff (line edit things...) Otherwise, very good. I want to read the rest.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I got to thinking that much of this is backstory, so found a more...active opening (comments welcome, but it's first draft) :

quote:

Though ancient trees snatched at him with gnarly limbs, fingered branches, and a web of roots rose up to grab at his feet, Groth glided through the woods like the ghosts of his ancestors. He had to, for the slightest sound could leave him dead. Clansmen from the Dire Wolf Clan, his own people, hunted him like he was Raven Clan. He actually stood accused of murdering his father, Chief Am Brae, for the right to clan leadership. His father! His mother had died in a clan raid when he was but five summers old, and Am Brae had chosen to raise Groth--instead of passing him off to the communal clan mothers. He'd adored his father. Everything he excelled at was to impress Am Brae. It was not only an insult to accuse Groth of his father's murder, it was foolish.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 02, 2009).]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Oh, but now I miss the father-son relationship that we saw in your first version It was a very rich opening, resonated, even though I picked it apart! (I take it back...) Your first version feels like the right place to start.

I only gave this new version one quick read; I do like the comparison to ghosts. And you do seem to be slipping into backstory again...

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 02, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yeah, as everyone else is wont to say, "The action starts right after this." My goal in this opening is setting, protagonist, showing the conflict, and then the time period, and make it hook you enough to read on.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but I really don't like the name Groth. I just can't take it seriously. I instantly think of gruel mixed with broth. It also makes me think of the Goths.

That doesn't mean that's a problem, though. I mean "Galbatorix" apparently passes as a legitimate name. And it makes me think of albatross.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 02, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one better. Getting into his head and seeing how he feared to disappoint his father adds tension to what (surely) will follow.

The second one explains too much, which being an attempt to get right into the action, doesn't do as well as the first one.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.