Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Project A.R.

Author Topic: Project A.R.
trance
Member # 8530

- posted      Profile for trance           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 of a first draft for a novel I'm writting. Please critique thoroughly(this may be what I use to apply for the 2010 literary bootcamp). Thanx for all the much apprieciated brutal honesty.

Darkness, bred by the hearts of its citizens, cradled the town as Shadowfox slid across the roof of his targets mansion. It was the darkest time of night with light’s daily parade slowly advancing, a lone hour away. Even the hallows goddess, and the thieves glorious savior, the moon and its light, was absent. Perfect for assassins, this lack of light.
Shadowfox quietly lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney. Shadowfox’s silence was necessary; his target may have been doubled by another envious assassin. He would have to look for signs that he wasn’t alone. Traps and other tell-tale clues would signify that his job has been doubled, or perhaps even tripled, by other assassins and Shadowfox would have no choice but to either kill the target and the other assassins—or leave. No mouths can live to breath. Or speak.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, I believe that it's the first page of a short story, not a novel, that is the submission for Boot Camp.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 8530

Well, either way, this would work. This is the first 13 lines of the prologue to the eventually forthcoming novel manuscript. And the prologue is a self-concluding story shedding some light on the main character from another character's perspective. So in light of that--what did you think?!
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Jeff   Email Jeff         Edit/Delete Post 
slid across the roof of his targets mansion. I'm tripping over the word target, and looking for more description on the mansion itself, the story mentions the "target" a couple of more lines down as well.

Shadowfox quietly lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney. Shadowfox’s silence was necessary; The story impresses on me that Shadowfox is an assassin in the previous line. It also shows us that he is "quietly lowering himself" making the statement "silence was necessary" feel redundant to me.

assassins is used a lot. Is there a substitute for this word? Maybe "The Guild" or "brothers" or something.

It's a good hook, I want to know why this guy has been marked, and more importantly why there is this "darkness, bred by the hearts...." Sounds like a nasty place.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If you stay with "targets mansion", it needs to be an apostrophe s.

"Perfect for assassins, this lack of light." This seems unnecessary and over explanatory. To me at least, it's obvious he's an assassin in the very first line and you describe the darkness in the line right before this so you don't need to repeat these facts.

"lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney." I'm having trouble picturing this manuever. Is there a rope? Is it a crawl? How is he lowering himself?

"Shadowfox’s silence was necessary; his target may have been doubled by another envious assassin. He would have to look for signs that he wasn’t alone. Traps and other tell-tale clues would signify that his job has been doubled". This section feels like too much telling when you could actually show it more effectively. After the chimney, maybe start with, "He checked the fireplace carefully for traps or signs that another assassin might be trying to steal his mark," or something like that.

"No mouths can live to breath", 'can' is suddenly present tense it should be 'could'. This is a good line though.

I can't say it has a lot of hook for me. He's an assassin, it's his job and there doesn't seem to be any significance to the mark. It just seems like an ordered hit. There's no emotion, which is appropriate for an assassin but there's not a lot to draw me in. However, after having said that, I would not stop reading just yet. I would probably continue to see if it took an unexpected turn.

The fact that there might be other assassins going after his game says that this guy might not be at the top of the pecking order. If that's the case, it might be a way to add interest. Give us a reason this hit isn't just another hit to him, or to the city, and you'd have my curiousity piqued.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Darkness, bred by the hearts of its citizens, cradled the town as Shadowfox slid across the roof of his targets mansion. It was the darkest time of night with light’s daily parade slowly advancing, a lone hour away. Even the hallows[[Apostrophe]] goddess, and the thieves glorious savior, the moon and its light, was absent. Perfect for assassins, this lack of light. [[I did not like the arrangement of this line.??'A night perfectly suited for him to practice his dark art??']]
Shadowfox quietly lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney. Shadowfox’s[[Omit]] silence was necessary; his target may have been doubled by another envious assassin. He would have to look for signs that he wasn’t alone. Traps and other tell-tale clues would signify that his job has been doubled, or perhaps even tripled, by other assassins and Shadowfox [[perhaps replace this with 'leaving him' His Name, "Shadowfox" is becomming quite repetitive.]]would have no choice but to either kill the target and the other assassins—or leave. No mouths can[[could]] live to breath. Or speak.

I quite liked this although opening with the viewpoint of a shady or villainous character is sometimes looked down upon in this forum(from my observation). I was hooked though and I would turn the page with gusto. I found the writing clever for the most part.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Darkness, bred by the hearts of its citizens, cradled the town as Shadowfox slid across the roof of his targets mansion.**<==I read this several times before I realized it is a reference to the character of the citizens of the town as well as it's being actually night time. It's awkward. Unless the citizens control the revoluton of the planet with their despicable natures, this doesn't work for me! ** It was the darkest time of night with light’s daily parade slowly advancing, a lone hour away.**<==Poetic but redundant. Do we need to know dawn is an hour away?** Even the hallows **'s?** goddess,**<==no comma here, I think** and the thieves**('s?) glorious savior, the moon and its light, was absent. Perfect for assassins, this lack of light.**<==Your phrasing is a little convoluted. What's worse, I think I do the same exact thing. This all looks very familiar. Be aware that you use the word light (lack of) as the subject of two sentences in a row here.**
Shadowfox quietly lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney.**<==I liked this very much. I immediately pictured a cute guy on a rope, Spiderman coming down in that nice kiss scene in the movie. Of course my second thought, triggered by 'chimney', was Santa Claus. That's probably just me, though.** Shadowfox’s silence was necessary**<==Seems obvious.**; his target may have been doubled**?** by another envious**?** assassin. He would have to look for signs that he wasn’t alone. Traps and other tell-tale clues**<==something stronger than a clue, I would think.** would signify that his job has been doubled**<== his job being doubled or tripled means collateral-damage deaths? This took too long for me to get. If I did.**, or perhaps even tripled, by other assassins and Shadowfox would have no choice but to either kill the target and the other assassins—or leave. No mouths can live to breath. Or speak.**<==no mouths can live to breath is awkward, I actually pictured mouths. Also it isn't specific enough. No mouths (people) anywhere on the block can live? No one in this house can live? No one who might see Shadowfox about his business can be allowed to survive?**

I feel like I'm being brutal but I didn't dislike it at all. I do question the guy's name as being a little .... Did you see mystery men? When the super hero "Mr. Furious" is asked by the hot babe what his real name is, he makes one up he thinks is sexier than his real name (Roy). "It's Phoenix. Dirk. Dark Dirk.... but I changed it to Phoenix... Roy. It's Roy."

My point is that an assassin on a rope hanging upside in a chimney thinking about tripping another assassin's traps and then killing him is sexy enough. It feels like way overkill to name him something like Shadowfox.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 8530

Great feedback! Awesome! This helps me with my second draft! I would lie to make a few points:
Jeff-Good point on the lack of description on the mansion. I, myself, couldn't believe the numerous times I used the word 'assassin'.
Genevive42-apostrophe-got it. I scraped the 'lack of light'. 'Twas to much. And...heh... when I wrote it, I ment to include a rope within the description of him going down the chimney. Oops. Nice catch with the time-tense, whoopsies!
Bent Tree-his name was becoming repeditive, thank you.
SavantIdiot-about the name thing. You make a strong case, but it's neccessary. Shadowfox isn't really his name; it's more a self-proclaimed title. I'd ellaberate, but I probably shouldn't. I'll just say that 13 lines can only reveal so much, and with good reason. Thank you, though.

Jeff
Member # 8854

I would like to see how this evolves, mind posting the next version?
Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 8530

My second draft now reads as follows:

Darkness, bred both by the long since settled sun, and hearts of its citizens, cradled the town as Shadowfox slid across the roof of his mark’s mansion. The redwood shingles felt like tainted gold beneath him. Even the hollows’ goddess, and the thieves’ glorious savior, the moon and its light, was absent—perfect for assassins. Looking east, he realized time was short, with light’s daily parade slowly advancing, a lone half-hour away.
With a rope, he quietly lowered himself, headfirst, down the chimney. Silence was necessary; his target may have been doubled by another. The elaborately decorated living room came into view as Shadowfox hung upside-down in the empty fireplace. There were no signs that he wasn’t alone. Traps and other tell-tale clues would signify that his job has been doubled, or

adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very intrigued.

But I don't understand how people's hearts can create darkness. I would delete the overly poetic parts about light's daily parade, hallow's goddess, and thieves glorious savior. Instead, use that space to tell us more about his identity, his target, why other assassin's might be competing with him on the same night, and how he checks and avoids traps. I don't understand the connection between Shadowfox's need for silence and the possibility of another assassin in the house. His silence is necessary no matter who else is in the house. Mouths don't live. Try this: "No witnesses could live to testify." Or this: "All voices would have to be silenced."

Try something more vivid than slid across the roof. Something like: "Darkness cradled the town of Shadowfox's target. Like a shadow, he quickly creeped across the mansion roof. With dawn only an hour away, it was the darkest time of night, and darkness is an assassin's friend." Better still, instead of using your first sentence to talk about the town, use it to talk about your main character:

"Darkness is an assassin's friend. Shadowfox checked the time. With dawn only an hour away, it was the darkest time of the night. Meanwhile, clouds hid the moon's light. Like a shadow, he quickly creeped across the roof of his target's mansion. As he lowered himself down the chimney, he checked for traps laid by possible competitors. If he discovered other assassins were at work below, he would have to kill too - or leave."

Or something like that. Basically, you want a style that is intriguing and vivid, but you don’t want a style that tries so hard the reader trips over it.

Carl Slaughter
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff
Member # 8854

I like the second version much better than the first. But, I trip up over this line.. "Even the hollows’ goddess, and the thieves’ glorious savior, the moon and its light, was absent" it seems to stutter my reading. Probably because I have no idea who the hollows goddess or the the thieves glorious saviour is.

Other than that I find it to be a huge improvment over the first version. The descriptions were nice, the scene was set and personally I like the poetic aspect. Different strokes, different folks....

The great thing about writing is it's alive....alive I tell you!!!! Keep at it, your working in the right direction cause this time around I was hooked.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.